Pathetic region | FerrariChat

Pathetic region

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Triple Black, Dec 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Triple Black

Triple Black Karting

Feb 8, 2014
    Millington TN
    Full Name:
    David S
    The south central region is pathetic.
    European cars belong in the east or west coast only.
    I feel like going back to Long Island.
    I don't care if you block me or whatever.
    How about some responses, anything is better than silence.

2. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I know well what you mean....put a "gun rack" on the rear window, some I love Jesus stickers, start chewing tobacco and join the NRA, and you will blend right in....lol. cheers.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You need to spend some time in greater Atlanta - lots of neat exotics here, and some ex-Long Islanders, like me!

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Problem is if you live in LI... you have to put your exotic away for 3-4 months for the snow.... Love the south, great roads ( mostly) and you can use your call all year round.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Triple Black…I used to live down the road in Memphis, so I know what you mean. Apart from NASCAR & pickup trucks, I did not find the car culture there to be as big as here in Texas. I think spirot, as usual, is dead on - be happy that we can drive our cars for most of the year down here, while the folks up north have already put their babies away for long winter naps!…T

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I once drove the Ferrari through Rome, Georgia. You'd think that a Ferrari would be right at home in a city named Rome, but not so! I seemed to be perennially surrounded by jacked-up pick-em-ups, and I was glad when I had cleared the city limits and continued on my way to Huntsville.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Why is that Jim?

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What did you expect when you moved south?

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    And we have never held that against you Jim.

10. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    The south wears thin on me sometimes, but you can't argue with better weather and roads. The majority of roads in the north make me feel like I've entered a third world country

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I thought your thread title was "Pathetic Religion" and I was going to completely agree, no matter which you had chosen ...

Best
    Pete
    And yes my kids go to a religion based school, but we are able to understand the faults and keep a balanced view. Unfortunately way too many let it run/ruin their lives.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What part do you dislike the most?

I have never lived anywhere but Alabama. I have no other perspective, other than when I travel.

13. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Religion being crammed down your throat, people being stuck in the past and not able to move forward, general slow pace of everything, just to name a few....

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I used to vist for months on end in Atlanta during the 70's, and its nothing like it used to be. today the south is the north with much better weather. Hell, most of Western PA lives in Metro Atlanta!

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    When I moved to Memphis after growing up in NYC, I was the same way, but just had to focus on positives of living in the South - great food, warmer weather, lower cost of living, people friendlier, not being nickeled and dimed every time I get in my car with tolls, and not having to have some yahoo pump gas for me! That's why I love Texas, it's got a lot of the positives of the South w/o some of the downsides. Now, if I could just find a place closer than 400 miles that has decent fried chicken, live'd be perfect!…T

16. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    The pros outweigh the cons all day, I would love living in Texas if it wasn't so flat!

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yep, "hilly" is the best we can manage here in Dallas…T

18. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Interesting comment David. Are we talking the south in general or the car club scene in the area? If you don't like the south, the roads go both ways. I travel all over the US and can live anywhere. Had this conversation last night with the Captain I was flying with. Although I dream of a big home near Monterey, the cost of living, politics and overall quality of life makes living here a no-brainer for ME.

I actually like our car group here in Memphis and have been adding new contacts I meet to the email chain recently. I haven't been involved long, as I've only had my 308 just shy of two years, but so far, it's not bad. None of us can do things every weekend and sometimes the weather, even in the south, just doesn't cooperate. I go for decent drives alone quite often, whenever I get the opportunity. Most of the time it's impromptu. I'll start letting you know when I head out.

Memphis isn't Long Island or Los Angeles but I like it here. I've told TF (who leads our local chapter) I'd like to be more involved and help plan more events. He's receptive as he is very busy with work. If you have any ideas, please share them. Art and Speed is also ready and willing to do more, but it's a business and takes money to put something together. Some of the guys I met at Euro-Fest in Ridgeland, MS back in October have expressed interest in doing more regionally too. At least there is some dialogue, and I certainly disagree our region is "pathetic," culturally or for car guys. Slow down and smell the BBQ a little. It's not as bad as you think. I do thank you for participating as I almost always see you and your 348 at any event that pops up.

Merry Christmas!

Mark

19. Benternet

Benternet Formula Junior

May 4, 2014
    TN
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #19 Benternet, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Thank you for that. Remember, I may be a Yankee, but I'm also a Gator. But that won't endear me to many Georgians, either.....

Atlanta is now so cosmopolitan that it is hardly a "southern" city anymore. You have to go well outside the city to the rural areas to see the "real" Georgia. (And I've always said the same about one of my former hometowns, San Juan, PR. It's no longer the "real" Puerto Rico.)

21. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Where is this? Good group of cars there.

22. Benternet

Benternet Formula Junior

May 4, 2014
    TN
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Franklin

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Yeah, we have more than our share of that.

24. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow somebody crammed religion down your throat. That must have hurt a lot. Maybe take a self defense class and you will like the south more. :D

25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Its really like anywhere - its what YOU make of it.

I lived in Europe and I loved it - I made it my home, same as now it's Atlanta.