List some great uncrowded Two lane roads in MS or Al? | FerrariChat

List some great uncrowded Two lane roads in MS or Al?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by mtmilam, Jan 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    Looking for any locals that know some great curvy roads in MS or AL....we ran a few just north of Mobile and they were real nice....Just wondering if anyone knows some more? MS is closer to us. The Least populated areas, the better. :D

2. Triple Black

Triple Black Karting

Feb 8, 2014
    Millington TN
    Full Name:
    David S
    How about the Natchez trace, only watch your speed.

3. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #3 nathandarby67, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A GREAT road is 30 miles of Hwy 587 between Monticello and Foxworth. It has also been called "Tail of the Little Red Dragon" and is known locally as Red Bluff Road. It passes by the Red Bluff, or "Mississippi's Little Grand Canyon". Very scenic area, and very curvy road with lots of elevation changes. If you ever want to come up this way and drive it, let me know and we can get either an FCA or just a general car guy group together. There are a lot of other backroads in the Hattiesburg area that are worth driving as well. We could make a day of it.

Google map: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/31.2349067,-89.871714/31.5533539,-90.1044496/@31.4404093,-89.9016155,10z?hl=en

Some info from a motorcycle site: Red Bluff (AKA "The Secret Pearl River Run" | Mississippi Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Ericspider

Ericspider Karting

Aug 9, 2014
    Texas Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Eric
    next time i am over i will check that area out, i run through Hattiesburg every other week.

5. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Let me know when you head this way, I can recommend some good food stops along your way. Do you ever bring any of your fun cars through here, or are you just travelling for business?

6. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Pretty cool, I live about 90 miles south of there on the MS Gulf Coast and I have never heard about that spot. I will definitely have to check it out sometime!

7. Ericspider

Ericspider Karting

Aug 9, 2014
    Texas Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Nathan, I sent your above post to my local motorcycle and sportscar friends and they all knew and raved about it...so we are thinking ROAD TRIP soon. I will be over next week and already asked my local managers to get the low down on it so I can check it out in the Chevy Malibu first LOL...My bike freinds are big Dragon Tail guys, so an endorsment is big from them and has me very interested/excited to check it out.

8. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    That looks great Nathan ; I hope it doesn't have the traffic that the Tail of the Dragon is getting particularly on weekends (in good weather of course). Will put on the list.

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

That's the best part. It is still undiscovered for the most part, and out of the way enough that it takes a little effort to get there. Hence almost no traffic. Nothing like Tail of the Dragon can be.

10. Photographer Tamyra

Mar 14, 2015

I noticed that you posted my photo of Red Bluff. I was curious where you got it from.

It is a hidden gem. Generations of senior trips were taken there before lawsuits were popular.

11. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I just found the pic by browsing Google images. Can't remember which website it was actually hosted on. Very cool you took that, it's a wonderful shot.

You're right...it really is an amazing little place. We are lucky to have it!

12. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'd like to drive this with you sometime Nathan. My QV is with Wade at Sport, Classic and Competition near NOLA until late May. Perhaps when he's finished with her, we could get some F cars and make the drive. Mark, you and Tammy join us! Eric, would be great to see you again.

Mark