From my annual trip to south Florida: | FerrariChat

From my annual trip to south Florida:

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Jan 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #1 Gatorrari, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually, I travel to south Florida quite often to see my dad, who is now 95, but most of those trips are "quickies", without time for sightseeing. In December, though, my extended work break gives me a chance to do more things, including a pilgrimage to Fort Lauderdale to see the local exotic car "attractions". So I did that on Friday, the day after Christmas.

My first stop was on the northside, at Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale, where the main showroom was full of nice, late model Ferraris and Maseratis. The most unique one was a 458 spider in the not-often-seen color Rosso Dino, which of course is really more orange than red.

The adjacent "pre-owned" room, though, usually has something more interesting (such as a Koenigsegg or a Carrera GT), but that was not the case this year, the RS 4.0 being the most interesting car in there. At least I got their nice annual calendar to hang in my garage.

Perhaps the most unique sight was outside, a couple of Maseratis apparently just off the boat and still mostly shrink-wrapped!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #2 Gatorrari, Jan 4, 2015
    I headed back to I-95 to bypass downtown and go to the southside, where my first stop was at Tim Stanford's shop, which was closed; not really a surprise for a Friday after Christmas. I'll bet Tim was probably up here, seeing relatives in Jasper.

I cruised up US-1 to the Motorcar Gallery, where our old friend Steve Ahlgrim gave me a tour of the cars on hand. This place deals a lot in cars like Excaliburs, C2 Corvettes, Maserati Boras, de Tomaso Mangustas, BMW M1s and '50s Rolls-Royces and Bentleys, but there was actually a Euro-model Ferrari 328 on the floor.

The buildings in back had a few gems such as a Bizzarrini GT, a C5 Corvette that had actually been a course car at Le Mans, and a rare Bentley Continental drophead that was basically their version of a Rolls-Royce Corniche.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #3 Gatorrari, Jan 4, 2015
    On Steve's suggestion, as I continued north on US-1, I stopped by the Fort Lauderdale Collection for the first time. This resembles the old Auto Toy Store that used to be in the same vicinity.

There was plenty of exotica on hand, including an open-top Testarossa, an Bugatti Veyron, a Mansory Mercedes SLR, an Auburn Speedster that was probably a reproduction (but a very good one) and a Phantom Coupe.

After that, I made my usual lunch stop at Skyline Chili for their great Cincinnati-style 5-Way (don't knock it until you try it!) and headed back to my dad's place, quite satisfied with my photo haul.

4. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Great photos!

Thanks for sharing, Jim.

Ciao,
    George

5. 458fan1

458fan1 Karting

Dec 2, 2011
    Great coverage! I actually went by Ferrari Fort Lauderdale on the same day and saw a red Laferrari there.

6. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
  7. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    was the TR spyder a production car or were just a few chopped ? I loved the yellow Porsche turbo as well. The M1 is nice too.

Brian

Esprit / Elan

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There were no production open Testarossa spiders; they were all conversions, mostly by Straman, I believe. I once saw a 328 that had been similarly converted to a full spider (as opposed to a Targa-type).

9. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Gatorrari- thanks for sharing, that's my idea of a day well spent. Great photos.