Barber Historics 5/15-5/17 Historic F1 | FerrariChat

Barber Historics 5/15-5/17 Historic F1

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Lotus91, Mar 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    Historic F1 race at Barber in May. a bunch of us are heading there to watch Doc Bundy race the Lotus 79 Cosworth..

always a fun weekend.

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Will Lotus be the only marque represented among the F1 cars?

3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    After reading through the website, what which day would you suggest as being " the day " to go,if you were only going to make it Sat -or- Sun ?

S

4. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    Saturday is the best. Jim, no Lotus will not be the only chassis. ,. these HGP historic Grand Prix cars race all over the world and there is always the old Niki Lauda car, as well as many old Williams, Benneton, the old MTV Judd powered car as well as many others.

there are a few guys here Rick, Charles, Jeremy and a few others that will caravan over Saturday 5/16 am and we will hang in the paddock with Doc's Lotus team but everyone is welcome.

Docs team has a full time chef and makes food for all teams and fans and or supporters.

Its a fun event. These are the same F1 cars that run at Monterey every fall.

Brian. .

5. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
  6. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Sounds like this could be a great event. I may need to put this on my calendar! How different or similar will it be compared to, say, The Mitty? Similar mix of cars?

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Apparently they will also be at The Mitty. Historic Grand Prix has been taken over by an Anglo/American group called Masters Historic Racing.

The Classic Motorsports Mitty - Road Atlanta, USA

And indeed there are time slots for the vintage F1 cars on the provisional Mitty schedule.

8. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #8 AHudson, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Just got the info on this. Checking schedule now, should be able to make it.

I presume you are all doing the 'Display Parking' thing ($30)? Seems I did this last time and it was exceedingly worthwhile, like parking in a car show but w/o judges.

Parade lap(s)?

Doc? Drew? Others? Would love to see you guys.

>>UPDATE>> Just got approval from the boss. Coming on Saturday.

9. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    a caravan on Saturday would be cool. a few of us are going to caravan. Rick, Charles, me, a few other Porsche guys.. will be fun. there and back the same day.

10. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Hi guys,

Plan on going Sat as well and doing the car coral thing.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I have looked but can't find an entry list anywhere. Anyone have aany ideas?
    Thanks!

12. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    a bunch of car guys not just Ferrari but Lotus, Aston, Maserati, Porsche guys are going to caravan the morning of 5/16 to go watch the F1 race.. this will have more than the 5 or so that raced at the Mitty. the Barber event will have more including your old Niki Lauda and Villeneuve cars.

Barber will have a few Lotus Judd ( Camel ) car running.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'll be there just for the Sunday events. Should be fun!

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  15. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    here is the plan for exotic car clubs here in ATL to caravan to Barber the morning of the 16th

We will meet at and leave promptly at 8 AM from the IKEA parking lot at Atlantic Station. Don't be late or you'll miss the caravan. Historic Motor Sports Association As a car guy in the vast collection of motorcycles in the Barber Museum, the question I get asked most from other car enthusiasts is, “How can I see the basement of the Museum?” That question is usually closely followed by, “Is historic car racing ever going to return?” Or, more honestly the statement, “Barber needs a historic car race.” My friends, it is happening in 2015. May 15-17 will see the return of historic cars to Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama. This event will follow the Barber Vintage Festival model that has grown in the last ten years to become one of the largest vintage motorcycle festivals in the country. The Historic Motor Sports Association (HMSA) will bring out some of the finest in historic automobiles for on-track completion, including drivers from Historic F1 and Trans Am. While the track will be active all weekend, the grounds will also be abuzz with activity. The famous Barber Car Corral will take place, in addition to a sports/racing car ordinated swap meet, filled with all kinds of goodies for your automobile/automobilia needs. Practice on track, the car corral and swap meet will begin on Friday, along with the Mountain Brook Car Rally, where many of the drivers will take their race cars from Barber Motorsports Park to Mountain Brook Village for a celebration. For information on the rally, swap meet or car corral, contact John Viviani, [email protected] or 205-702-8718. For information on the racing portion, contact HMSA at 818-249-3515 or Historic Motor Sports Association. Tickets, camping and RV spots for the event will go on sale in early 2015, so stay tuned to www.barbermotorsports.com for more information. In the meantime, SAVE THE DATE for the Barber Historics featuring Lotus taking place May 15-17, 2015, at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama!

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Now you've got me interested. I took part in the Mountain Brook "Rally" the last two times it was held, during the Legends of Motorsport events that Barber hosted in 2010 and 2011. At Mountain Brook, the Ferrari owners had a nice meal together at one of the fine restaurants that are located at the center of the village. I was going to go to the NHRA Southern Nationals that Friday, but maybe I'll change my mind!

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Make sure your throttle cable is in good working order

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You remembered! I got it changed immediately thereafter and the car is in good running order. Now, though, the weather forecast appears to be getting in the way.:mad:

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I cant make it this weekend - My Nephew is graduating HS, so we will be in MS for the weekend... but I highly recommend going - The Museum alone is amazing and worth the trip, if you get down to the work shop area he has his Ferrari 158 Replica from 1964 down there in NART colors - it is spectacular. He also has a bunch of other replicas - 917, 330 p4, 904, etc... but still worth seeing.

20. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    The forecast is for afternoon rain, only in the 50% range now. I consider this outstanding news, since as a lifelong Alabamian, the cloud cover even WITH some rain will be welcomed.

Ferrari staying at home though, bringing my 4WD truck, I mean, car. Audi R8 LOVES weather of all types! See you guys there!

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I decided not to go because of the dicey weather forecast; the forecast east of Atlanta is better and I instead went to the NHRA drag race in Commerce this afternoon - and found a white Ferrari California parked in the pit area! (No, not a drag car, but evidently one made available for one of the drivers.)

22. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    #22 Drew Altemara, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
    Adams - was that your R8? So sorry I missed you - would have been great to catch up.

I did not take a Ferrari due to the weather but brought my "truck" Black 91 NSX.

I saw Tommy's car in the Paddock area as well; black 308QV.

Was a nice time - very low key. I think the threat of rain kept folks away. Really a shame as its a great facility and event.

I loved watching the F1 masters - you can get right next to the cars as they enter the track. The sound, smell of fuel, little bit of crumbled rubber on the face - all good.

Drew

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I had a great time today...very low key as stated above. My internet connection is too crappy here in Birmingham so I uploaded only 11 photos. All of the Masters F1 turn 5 wreck. The green Tyrrell Ford got 3 wheels up off the ground. I hope it wasn't damaged too much...pretty car.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/havblu/sets/72157652593914809

Once I get back home in Orlando Thursday I'll upload the other thousand plus photos and videos. I have a much better upload speed there.

24. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    thats my buddy Doc Bundy in the Lotus making a pass under the Benneton who didn't know he was there.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I hope both of their cars came out relatively unharmed.

Here are the 1,100+ pics and 14 videos as promised. I didn't sort through the photos to delete the unfocused pics or ones where I couldn't time the photo right with the car moving so dang fast, lol. All pics can be downloaded full-size individually. Feel free to share with those who had cars in the race looking for photos of their ride!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/havblu/sets/72157652593914809