Georgia Tech Auto Show! | FerrariChat

Georgia Tech Auto Show!

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Mar 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Next Saturday, March 28th, will be the annual Georgia Tech Auto Show, always a fun event at which I've had my car 8 of the last 10 years. We always have had good Ferrari participation and I'd hope for the same this year.

No affiliation with Tech is needed, but you must register your car in advance on their website. There is no entry fee, though a donation would be appreciated. Judging will be by the public attending, and the trophies (which I've won two of) are usually unique. All makes, including motorcycles, are welcome; there is usually even a class for "student beaters", where the worst vehicle wins!

The show will go on rain or shine; if rain it will move to a nearby parking deck. There will be a food concession on site. Student project vehicles will be on display and they are fun to see. There is usually a guest speaker from the auto industry in the adjacent auditorium, but none has been announced yet for this year. (Franco Cimatti, who was largely responsible for the AWD system on the Ferrari FF, was a speaker one year. Yes, he is a Tech grad!)

Even if you don't want to enter, spectator admission and parking are free as well.

Georgia Tech Auto Show

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Current weather forecast is cool (high of 53 degrees) but NO chance of rain (or snow!:D).

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #4 Gatorrari, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I hated missing this show its one of the best around. I'm on vacation so its a valid excuse. :) That Lambo powered bike is amazing!!

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    wow, I cant even begin to imagine riding that thing...how on earth can it actually turn?

and can you imagine the heat build up on a nice Atlanta July day? or a carb fire spit back!!
    but it is a cool bike!

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #7 Gatorrari, Mar 30, 2015
    If the Lambo bike was "most outrageous", my vote for "most fun" goes to the modified Citroen 2CV which I had seen at one of the Sunday morning shows on GA-92, but now it had what the owner claimed were a set of original seats, which frankly looked more like lawn chairs! You could hear the sounds of French accordion music coming from within.

And probably "most famous (or infamous)" was the otherwise normal-looking Mercedes CL55 AMG parked opposite from me. Of course it is the car with which Ed Bolian set the NY to LA record of under 29 hours, and Ed was there to tell us stories about the car and the trip. Note the very appropriate license plate.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #8 Gatorrari, Mar 30, 2015
    Of course, this was Georgia Tech, so a visit from the world's most famous Ford Model A was a must, but the Ramblin' Wreck did not stay for very long. Nearby was a wide-tired MG from Wreck Racing, and at least one other car in the field was also in Tech colors. Naturally there was no love for that other big university in GA, as one MG TD owner demonstrated.

My co-worker Mike T., who is a Tech grad, came with his '79 Firebird Trans Am, which also showed Tech colors with the gold trim. Obviously resembling a famous movie car, Mike had the appropriate hat on his front seat.

A Pinzgauer 4WD truck from Austria was fittingly displayed "off-road", and its spare tire cover showed another role for Tech mascot Buzz.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #9 Gatorrari, Mar 30, 2015
    Rick was there with his Aston Martin to ensure that the Lambo bike was not the only 12-cylinder vehicle on the premises, but the most interesting car there was probably the BMW i8, which definitely has some unique body shapes.

Both Porsche and Chevrolet had dealer displays, and I got my first looks at the Macan Turbo and the Chevy Trax, both nicely-sized crossovers. (And since Porsche was absent from the Atlanta Auto Show being held nearby, this sort of made up for that.) Porsche was also promoting their new headquarters near the airport, which is opening very soon.

I'll have more pics up later in the week.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    While the 2CV is an interesting looking car, its not much fun to drive... I had a girl friend who had one - it was literaly crushed by a truck making a left turn - in Switzerland, so when you had to go up a hill ( mountain ) it was so SLOW... and you would think the engine was going to blow up it was revving so loud. going down the hill was even more terrifying. if you did not keep it in 1st gear for the steepest parts the brakes would start to smoke and literally did nothing.

This was France's answer to the beetle... and the beetle won!

11. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
    spirot, I don't know about your experience with a 2CV but I own two of them in addition to having owned a Classic Mini (real) Cooper, three other classic Minis, a Porsche and lots of other cars and can state that a 2CV is more fun but a very different driving experience than most cars...plus people love them! I drove a 2CV to the infield at Petite LeMans followed by a friend who later said, "Ya know, there could be a naked woman dancing with a pole, and THAT car would get all the looks!" Cruising down GA 400 in one at its top speed of 72 mph with traffic is an eye opening experience, and it's a "momentum car", one unlike modern cars, you DRIVE it. So, try my car someday with the "big block" 602cc engine complete with inboard disc brakes, and round turns 6 & 7 at Road Atlanta, and you might change your thoughts. Jim Downing the accomplished racer still owns two of them for a reason. Rant over.

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I meant no disrespect and the one that I have or had experience with was a 1978 version and I have to say it was scary driving the roads around Montreux Switzerland I do admit I never had the car on a highway. It is an absolute unique car I totally agree but I'm not a fan personally - the French just never did cars well after the war... It's just my opinion

13. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Ed is going to have to remove the stickers from his 'Cannonball Run car.

Rumor has it, the record was taken back this last week by Alex Roy (previous 'record' holder).

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  15. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Ed gets to keep his title.

It was a joke.

After reading the bit Alex wrote about Mathew McConaughey being his hero... it seemed pretty obvious!