2015 Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama - Barber Motorsports Park | FerrariChat

2015 Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama - Barber Motorsports Park

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by BMW.SauberF1Team, Apr 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Any Fchatters going to this? I only got Sunday race tickets and the weather so far looks great (fingers crossed). I've never been to a race there and got the car corral parking out of convenience to a supposed good viewing spot.

I missed out on the St. Pete GP not too long ago and of course my favorite driver JPM went on and won that race. Might as well catch the race here before I head back to FL in a couple weeks. This will be my second IndyCar race after having gone to the last Baltimore GP on Labor weekend 2013. That was a lot of fun...

2. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    We are planning on getting up early Sunday and driving over.

Quick question: The only other time I've been to a race at Barber Coledoggy and I somehow scored free tickets to the CM's trackside tavern. That was a very nice place to watch the race from. This time, faced with paying $400(!) or so for me and my 4 year old, it didn't seem worth it. Just planning on buying general admission tickets this time. Any tips on the best places to watch from? Would folks suggest bringing a folding chair? On one hand I like the idea of having a comfortable place to sit, but also don't relish the idea of lugging around a chair and/or cooler all day if we want to move around and check out various spots, or maybe the museum. Also, is the paddock upgrade worth it?

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I had paddock passes for the Baltimore GP...wasn't that great imo. They had the team trucks and cars in the convention center when working on it and you really only saw a few mechanics and tires moving around. If you think your kid may think it's cool, it may be worth it. I think the paddocks are outdoors at Barber...not entirely sure.

As far as good seating, I've heard in the area I'll be where you can see three sections of the race including a frequent passing zone at turn 5.

http://mphproductions.com/joomla/images/stories/tracklayout/BarberMotorSportsMap.jpg

That seating is near the T3 label. I'm parking in lot E (car corral) so it will be a short walk. It will look like this with the road closer to the camera being a fast straight when they turn and comeback around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg8rcacOwvI

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'll be there we are a sponsor on Ryan hunter Rey's car so will be w the Andretti folks

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    FYI if you're going and parking in a lot that you aren't sure is paved, take something that can get muddy. the "grass" lots are a disaster. they had to tow 50 cars out this evening.

6. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    How are the shuttles? I saw where they were running off-site parking from an outlet mall.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no idea. heard about the muddy lots from some friends that were there today.

8. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sweet! have fun :)

nice viewing spot too!

10. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Great race, nail biter...

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Glad you had fun! I had a blast. I was up on the hillside overlooking turn 5...lots of passing there and the Cadillac that ended up catching fire. The car corral was pretty cool...I'm certain my car was by far the dirtiest there (orange Z). The Enzo was really cool.

Uploading pics now...will definitely be back next year if I'm not working that weekend.

12. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
  13. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #14 nathandarby67, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Anybody happen to know who the owner is of the red 348 that was in the car corral on Sunday? It has Mississippi tags so I was wondering who it is. I'd like to get in touch with the owner so I can put him on my list to invite to our local car/Ferrari/FCA type events.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Thanks! Yeah, I wish the Caddy stayed til the end. Same for the Lambo. It was nice having a mix of cars and the different engine notes. I loved the sound of the Bentley followed by the Mercs. Very deep and low rumble...you couldn't mistake it for anything else with your eyes closed.

The IndyLights cars looked pretty good. You may have noticed I took a few shots of the blue and white #18 car. It's because it reminded me of the blue and white BMW Williams F1 cars. It even had a blue kidney grill and silver accent between the white and blue on the engine cover...no way that person designed it after anything else (still looks good imo).

I uploaded a restart lap. You can see most of the track from where I was: https://www.flickr.com/photos/havblu/17291832882/in/set-72157651788151609

Unfortunately not. I saw him getting into the 348 and packing up his belongings as I walked past him to get to my car shortly after the race. I didn't want to bother him and delay his departure given traffic that was rapidly building...

15. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I just noticed the race is now available in its entirety (cur into two parts) on youtube, for anyone who may be interested. Looking forward to watching this evening!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfafTymWd90[/ame]

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I was telling everyone it was you