Ferrari / chassis / engineering question | FerrariChat

Ferrari / chassis / engineering question

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Lotus91, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    I have always wondered this. has has chassis evolution been from the 308 to current models ? did the 308 use a "uni body " chassis with sub frames for front and rear or was the chassis a tube chassis ?

the Esprit has always used a backbone chassis with front and rear pick ups built into the chassis and a cradle in the rear to hold the engine and gear box which was sort of a fixed stressed fixture for the engine and gear box. the esprit body can be lifted off in 1 piece and the chassis with wheels could be driven away

did Ferrari use a unibody with sub frames ? did the suspension front and rear have subframes for the mounts ?

were the body pieces mounted to a chassis ? were the uprights mounted to a chassis then through the front wheel arches ?

the Esprit body is 1 piece and after a few bolts removed the entire body can be lifted up and the car driven away.

just curious to compare the Ferrari idea of chassis to the Esprit chassis. the esprit chass was the same from 77 to 04. no changes..

Brian

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    the 308 chassis is a tube frame with unit body construction on top.. ie inner and outer sections weleded to the frame. each part of the body work can be cut out and replaced like a unit body... while the frame serves as the inner structure.

Lotus backbone chassis for Esprit relies on engine mount for rear with cross over on top and half shafts as the bottom link for the one piece body shell - Esprits were made in bottom and top clam shells and bonded together... overall i think the 308 GTB is stronger buy way way heavier than an esprit. but the lotus chassis is very strong as well,considering the massive use of fiberglass over metal.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I believe that the 348 was the first unibody Ferrari, but I don't think that it was laid out like the Esprit.

4. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    the esprit chassis is strong but with the tunnel chassis and extended front and rear it almost looks like an I

the chassis is strong but it has a tendency to roll heavily in corners . sway bars help some.

5. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P