I saw a Mirage this weekend..... | FerrariChat

I saw a Mirage this weekend.....

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Jul 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #1 Gatorrari, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With all this ridiculous heat of late, I decided that the only time I really want to drive the Ferrari is early in the day, before it gets too hot. (My A/C is working about as well as it can, but it's still not much good above 85 degrees or so.)

So on Saturday morning, I decided to go to Chamblee and check in on the weekly Donut Derelicts gathering at Dandy Donuts, an event I hadn't attended in the better part of a year. There were familiar faces and cars, and some unfamiliar ones as well, including a particularly noteworthy one that I'm saving for last.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #2 Gatorrari, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had finished my donuts and was just hanging around for a while to see what might show up, and my wait was not in vain. I saw a mid-70s Cadillac pull in, and there was something funky about the roofline. This Caddy turned out to be - a pickup?

It transpires that in 1975-76, Cadillac commissioned a coachbuilder to build approximately 200 of these on a Coupe de Ville platform, along with a station wagon (built on a Fleetwood 60 Special platform) called the Castillian. The owner had a descriptive placard lying on the seat that tells more. Incidentally, there is a compartment under the bed where the trunk would normally be. The whole thing was apparently inspired by a flower car.

Supposedly the model was called the Mirage because that's what people would think they were seeing! (A Cadillac pickup? I must be seeing things.....)

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you're ever undecided on what to do on a Saturday morning, head on over to Chamblee and see what shows up. The shop is on Chamblee-Dunwoody Road, right across the street from Chamblee High School and just off of Peachtree Industrial Blvd. It's only about a 3-minute drive from I-285. The event goes from about 8:30 to 10:30 or so.

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    That's for posting Jim.

Brought back some memories.

That's my old Panteta that Mike Daily drives I think.

Thanks,

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    I haven't been since last summer. Next time you are going, give a heads up, as I am not that far away.

6. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I love the Caddy pick up, that is too cool!

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Those Pantera tires look like they came from one of Bruce & Denny's Can Am cars!