OFFICAL: Italian Car day Moved- Nov. 21 | FerrariChat

OFFICAL: Italian Car day Moved- Nov. 21

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Patek, Nov 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Hi all,
    This wet weather is going to effect the Italian Car Day car show this weekend and perhaps the next 10 days. This Saturday it will be impossible to put cars on the lawn at Lillian Webb Park in Norcross.

I called and asked Mary Beth Bender, Director of Parks at Norcross City today if we can get Saturday, Nov 21st and she said OK!
    Yes that's 2 weeks out and the last weekend before Thanksgiving but may be a much better choice overall.

If we want to use the lower field (and we definitely should) it absolutely has to dry first so we need a few sunny days.

The Saturday, Nov. 21st will give us time to contact everyone and give the vendors a chance to reposition and respond to the change.

Please share any comments / thoughts on this change with me and help get the word out. The show time is the same, 10AM-3PM.

We want to make sure it is a good show in a pleasant weather condition. Thank you for your understanding.

Look for an announcement and posting to the website of HOME-Atlanta Italian Car Day

Best regards,
    John Montgomery
    770-932-2380 cell
    Coordinator, Italian Car Day HOME-Atlanta Italian Car Day
    Benson Alfa/Fiat Studio Manager New FIAT & Used Car Dealer in Greer, SC | Benson Fiat Studio Serves Greenville, Spartanburg, & Easley Areas
    Fiat Club America President www.fiatclubamerica.com
    Euro Auto Festival Board Member EURO Auto Festival

2. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Just got this a few minutes ago from John Montgomery.
    The field is just too wet even if the rain were to quit on this Saturday.
    NOVEMBER 21 on Saturday will be the NEW DATE.

So polish up your cars, and Roll.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's fine with me. After dealing with mud at COTA last weekend, the last thing I'd want to do is to repeat the process here in Atlanta!

4. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #4 Patek, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Just a bump so you know it is NOVEMBER 21, this weekend. Come out, what else to you have going on. The last car show, local, of the year. Do it while you can.
    John

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It's a great day for a car show! Y'all come!:D

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #7 Gatorrari, Nov 21, 2015
    It was a great day, even though the two-week delay seemed to hurt attendance a bit, and the clouds that overspread the area kept things cool. But there were still plenty of good cars, good conversation and good prizes.

Some familiar faces were there with new cars: John Denton had a 308 GT4 (the oldest Ferrari present - what happened to all the '60s cars that used to come to this event?) and Rick Russo had a Maserati Biturbo spyder. Ivan Ruiz showed a gorgeous black Ghibli spyder that, not surprisingly, won Best Maserati. Other familiar faces - Vince, Walt and Andy - showed up as spectators.

Curiously, there were no Panteras and the only Open class car was a Cadillac Allante, which gained admittance via its Pininfarina bodywork. (A Chrysler TC was legitimately part of the Maserati class.) There were more motorcycles than in recent years, still mostly Ducatis, but there were a few Moto Guzzis and a single MV Agusta.

Here are some early photos. FYI, in the Ferrari class, the blue 360 spider took 1st, the red California took 2nd and the 512 BBi took 3rd and also Best Modified. In the Lamborghini class, the indigo Urracco (which still photographs too blue) beat out the blue Murcielago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #8 Gatorrari, Nov 21, 2015
  9. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I thought it was going to be held on the lower section.

How was the turn out? looks kinda thin compared to past years.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It was going to be held downstairs, but apparently the ground there was still too soft from Wednesday's downpour. As is, we had enough room upstairs, and the ground was plenty dry.

The official count was 59 cars and motorcycles. On the "exotics" side of the fountain, the three sides that we use for parking cars were completely full, and any additional cars would have had to add another row. On the other side, they did add an additional partial row. (It's a good thing they got rid of the beach volleyball pit that used to be there.)

Also, remember that these were early photos, taken before everyone arrived. The later photos will show a fuller field.

11. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Jim.

I should be there next year

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #12 Gatorrari, Nov 22, 2015
    On the other side of the fountain, as usual, were the "popularly-priced" marques. Alfa Romeo was well-represented in both numbers and variety, while Fiat numbers seemed to be down and there were only two Lancias.

My favorite Alfa was the Giulietta Sprint Speciale, with its curvaceous "torpedo" shape, and nearby was a new 4C heralding the rebirth of Alfa in this country. But the 4C's trunk makes my 328's seem cavernous by comparison! The 4C did win the Kid's Choice award.

Note, however, that the eventual class-winner had not arrived at the time I took these; it will come in a later post.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #13 Gatorrari, Nov 22, 2015
  14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #14 Gatorrari, Nov 23, 2015
    Later arrivals included a couple of "gumdrop" Aventadors (lemon & lime?) and a yellow 458 Speciale. Also here is the blue Alfa Romeo 2000 Touring spider, which did not arrive too late to garner enough votes not only for Best Alfa, but also for Best in Show. (I was wondering, though, about the complete lack of badging on the back end.)

I managed to get a neat "doors up" shot of most of the V-12 Lambos (curiously, no Gallardos or Huracans showed up) and a frontal shot of the 458 Speciale which reminded me of an angry Jack o'Lantern! (A lot of Ferraris "smile", but not this one!)

The interior shot is of Ivan's Ghibli, with period touches like the wood-rim steering wheel and the toggle switches.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #15 Gatorrari, Nov 23, 2015
    A couple of the visiting non-participants, and a parting shot of the winning Alfa Romeo.

(Andy's timing was perfect. I had just noted to a young spectator that all of the red Ferraris in the show were Rosso Corsa but that Ferrari had other shades of red - and suddenly there was a 360 in Rosso Fiorano!)