308 - 328 handling question | FerrariChat

308 - 328 handling question

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Lotus91, Dec 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    I was looking at the underside of my Lotus Esprit and still admire the way the chassis was developed for handling. so, I looked up images of the chassis of a 308-328 and notice many engineering idea changes.

The Esprit chassis is backbone with the engine sitting in a cradle of sorts and the gearbox is aft of the engine. the 308 series was sitting sideways but my question is, was the 308 series a good handling car ?

the Esprit is similar to a race car chassis with adjustable control arms, fancy schmancy uprights and lower swing axel type control arms which probably really helped with handling.

was the 308 series built with that sort of handling in mind ?

when I see the chassis of a 308 series car I see many square tubes and bracing underneath which was totally different from the Lotus engineering team ideas.

just curious

Brian

2. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The 308 and 328 have excellent handling by any standard. Granted, the Lotus might outhandle the Ferraris at 10/10ths on a racetrack, but on public roads the 308/328 can easily stay with the Lotus or any other car from the same era.