Giovanni's | FerrariChat

Giovanni's

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Lotus91, Jan 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    I still think we need another Giovanni's. a Saturday late afternoon gathering.. small place, exotics only... dinner drinks, from 3-8 pm.. every 3rd Saturday..

remember how fun those events were ? 50 cars, safe place, food and drink, patio etc..

any suggestions ?

Brian

2. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Brian, I hope you have been well. We do need to find a new meeting place. Johns creek seemed to be a good location. Any other places in that area that would work?

3. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
  4. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    #4 CharlesE, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    I agree 100000%. we have been trying to figure this out for years since. the "thing" which made Gio's work in my mind:

1. Location - pretty centralized as folks from the north south east and west could come. I think we had folks from south GA and Alabama come up specially for it.

2.) Restaurant/atmosphere - very good food reasonable price. I think the Italian slant was a plus for the European slant of the gathering and they supported it by adding more patio and parking lot staff.

3.) patio - you could hang on the patio/sit down and relax and till be connected to the action......smell, hear and gaze at the cars and women (ok Brian didn't care for some of the women which showed up HAHAHAHA (what was her name?)...and jump up and get close to each on a whim.

4.) cars were right there..see above.

5.) parking was adequate

5, very conducive to being able to enjoy a beer, glass of wine (thanks cousin Vinney) or such and still be connected.

6. good spot for drive byes and other folks coming in.

7.) most of the folks who came didn't have egos..sure they may be more partial to a mark but generally liked all cars.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, we tried for a number of months at the same location after Cheeseburger Bobby's opened in part of the Giovanni's space, and it was a bust. So 2.) must have been more important than some of us thought at the time. Everything else listed was the same!

And we tried quite a few times at a small shopping center only a mile down 141 that had both a nice Cuban restaurant and a nice Mexican one, both with patio dining, and that didn't work, either.

6. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    good points Jim. so the difference may also be:.

1) need to be able to do drive bys and be more visible to the public. I know we did pull in others who didn't know about it but saw it and came on in/stopped by.

2) cars MUST be right in front of your nose/patio and you can easily walk to the cars w/o walking thru the parking to the main area, and don't have to walk tru the restaurant to get from the patio to the cars. also must bee beer/wine friendly

We also tried OTP (off 400 at Holcomb bridge rd @ Old Alabama ) and Sal (the owner) wanted to help us get it going. BUT the parking lot was not very friendly as there was an LA fitness right next door along with a high end (supposedly) furniture and other worthless house crap (to me) outlet store that was always packed.

I think we need to get someone retired who does nothing all day except work on cars and boats (and do other stuff retired folks do) to spend some energy on this and figure it out.

7. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Yep! Cars, boats, and retired - that's the ticket. I know whom you speak of and U R 100% right on that account. :D

Ciao,
    George

8. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Would be nice to find somebody with those qualifications. I'll look around.😝

9. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    lets nominate Rick for the task....we need another Giovanni's to start in spring which is only 2 months away...

the Pink Pony has plenty O parking spots available... just saying.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hey Guys:

what about the Sugo location? or their other spot Double Zero? ( location is a bit crazy )

or I've been doing the Corso Coffee thing in Buckhead - I think they would love an afternoon / dinner thing.. it would be prime parking - there's a nice restaurant's all around. we would be parked around Bilboquet... if there is real interest I'll put it together... but I know its ITP ... and that does not always sit well with ya'll OTP folks!

11. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    how about this place ? Abbots Bar & Grill. nice large patio, large parking lot, Johns Creek...

Photos for Abbott's Bar & Grill | Yelp

look at all of the pics.. Just about 5 miles down from Giovanni's.

12. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    #12 LMPDesigner, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Tom S. Yea--See about a "go" at Buckhead. Worth the attempt!

14. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    Rick, Charles , Jeremy and I are going to Abbotts grill this Saturday to scope it out.. we will see how bad they want our business... I think they will be game.. I can go there the afternoon of each event and put out some cones.

lets start it next month.. how bout the second Saturday of the month ? 3-8 pm or later ?

lets ink it for 2/13/16, 3:00 pm. Abbotts Grill.

Brian

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Seems a bit too far east for some of us. Something along the GA-400 corridor would be preferable.

16. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    Jim, its about 3 miles from Giovanni's on 141.

what elese are you gonna do on a Saturday afternoon ?

17. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    we should try to police it tho.. exotics only ? no purple Dodge Challengers with green lights under the rocker panels. No flame throwing Honda 4 doors lowered..

No junk permitted..

Giovanni's was exotics only. no kit cars no junk, no Ford Tauras SHO's etc.

18. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    Brian Willis, can you join us Saturday at 3 at Abbotts for an inspection of the place .. and a drink or 2 ?

anyone else can join us too.. the weather is supposed to be epic...

19. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Jim,

Find us a suitable place along 400 then.

Needs:
    Outdoor seating
    close parking
    lots of parking
    decent enough food

Find it and we will come....

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Brian - I've already talked to the folks at Buckhead Atl.. and they would love it - thing is they do want a turn out of cars because they put it on their twitter and Fb pages...

This weekend is also Corso - so why not come down to Buckhead and have some coffee and then up to Abbots???

21. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    works for me, but I thought your event was Ferrari only ?

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Okay, my choice is Pepperoni's Tavern at 4190 Old Milton Pkwy in Alpharetta. The Formula 1 Meetup Group had a number of race-watching gatherings there, and I just love their pizza! It's not far from Northpoint Mall and GA-400 and there is plenty of parking. I don't know if they have outdoor seating, though.

Pepperoni's Tavern | Alpharetta, GA

23. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Been to Peps... Great Pizza but not a whole lot else. Maybe not an issue but may be a limiting factor.

Plus it has zero outside seating...which for me is an absolute requirement. Want to see the cars from where I sit. Was the ting that made Gio's special-IMO.

No reason not to try it but IMO Abbotts may be better OA. I know not near to all but if the place isn't "right" nobody will go. (We know that!) And not sure Peps is "right".

The big shame is that a good place was Kurts. A little off main path but Kurt loved having the cars there, food was good, lots of parking, etc.

Unfortunately his new(er) place-Kurts Bistro is short on parking and no outdoor seating.

Other options more 400 "bound"

La Casa Grill
    37 Old Roswell St, Alpharetta, GA 30009

Italian, decent food, nice little place
    small patio and some parking viewable from patio.

Not ideal but an option.

Anybody else for ideas??

24. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    #24 LMPDesigner, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How about here??

Norcross Station Cafe and Steakhouse
    40 S Peachtree St, Norcross, GA 30071
    Right near where Italian Car Day is held.

Lots of car parking right in front of restaurant. I mean right in front!
    Lots of outdoor seating. Long patio in front of parking.

Norcross "understands" cars. They have Italian Car Day, British Car Day, etc.

Not so close to Western side of town but another choice.

This one may have "all we need"?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    great location but not enough spots ..