Atlanta area wheel refurbishment? | FerrariChat

Atlanta area wheel refurbishment?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by 4rextc, Feb 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rextc

4rextc Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Madison, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Stratton Hicky
    My '83 512 BBi has chipping/peeling paint on the wheels. Anyone had painted wheels restored in the Atlanta area? And, while we're at it, know of a source for the wheel decals?

Thanks!

2. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I used Wheel Wizard when I damaged a rim on my 360, came back looking like new.

3. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    wheel wizard restored my Esprit wheels cheap and they are powder coated and perfect. $225.00 each..

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    wheels wizard
    magnum collision
    buckhead collision
    marietta wheel

i have used them all

5. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    Wheel wizard refurbished my white fuchs. I have not seem them yet (or the car really in 2 months.) but I heard they look great.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I plan to have mine done at Metro Wheels in Marietta.

7. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Jim, have you decided to take the plunge and go gold as you entertained that notion a few years back?

Just Wunderin! :)

Ciao,
    George

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's still the plan. It worked for 330 P4s and 312 F1 cars, so why not? And Metro has already told me that they know the color and can match it. I've always thought that gold 5-spoke Ferrari wheels were part of the image.

9. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Are people generally dropping the whole car off to get wheels redone or taking them off your self and then just bringing in the wheels with tires still on? I need a set of FUCHS redone and don't have the facilities to remove the wheels and leave the car on jacks for a few weeks.

10. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    you may need t call them for that.

my fuchs were take off at Graham Everett's shop where the car is currently at and he took them down there. WW installed new tires at the same time then sent then back to Graham. my Fuchs are painted white and WW had to repaint them the correct GP white a 2nd time to make them a perfect color match. I haven't see how the anodizing looks. I may pick up the car this Saturday and I can then tell you if I think they are ok.

11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    wheel wizard has space in the back where they jack them up and redo....

my cars.. i prefer to remove and drop off the wheels myself.

u have garage ?

12. ButlerGuy

ButlerGuy Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Carson Z
  13. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Thanks I would be very interested to see how their anodizing turns out. I want my wheels done RS style and would really like to avoid shipping out to the west coasts guys.

14. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Yes I have a garage, its tight but I can take the wheels with the tires off and to them, it would be easier still to take the whole car but am not keen if its left out in the elements.

Thanks,

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i assume u have a 355 ?

i dont like people touching my stuff... not sure how picky you are. my preference would be to have my car safe in the garage...

16. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    got the car back and the wheels look good .the white pant matches the paint very well and the anodizing looks good. $250 ea to refurbish (two 6s and two 7s). the only issue i have is when they installed the new tires, they did not use my metal valve stems / caps but rubber. I am trying to get them back and will need them put back on.

17. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    The color for Boxer wheels is not easy to match since it's not glossy. Magnum has done them for us with good success. I don't recommend having them done at a quickie wheel wizard type place if you want them to look correct.

18. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I took FoA's advice and took my 308 QV wheels to Magnum Collision, they are there now. I've used them in the past and always do good work. I did have some Porsche wheels done eons ago at Wheel Wizard and they also did decent work.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    After the sterling job they did recently on my 328 wheels, I have to rate Metro Wheels on South Cobb Drive as highly as any of the other shops mentioned in this thread. Their customer service rates with the very best that I've encountered in 46 years of car ownership.

Metro Wheels & Accessories :: Marietta GA Wheels & Auto Repair Shop

20. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #20 bcwawright, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    4rextc likes this.
  21. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Thats what I call bad magnesium wheel prep! I took my 308 QV wheels to Magnum Collision and they look fantastic.

22. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce

Mitch I am glad you found a good spot in Atlanta.....hopefully others will be warned as to the pitfalls of poor preparation on Magnesium wheels before they pay a lot of $$$ only to experience what I did.