Retiring to Georgia | FerrariChat

Retiring to Georgia

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by D.Mauro, Mar 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    My wife and are thinking about retiring to Georgia. Some of the areas considered are,suburbs of Atlanta, Peach Tree City, Fayetteville, and Milton. Anyone knows these areas they can tell us about them, the pros and cons. So far we just goggled the area and walked around the communities. We are going to visit in May and drive around for a few days. Also an F-car mechanic close by. We are locating from South Florida. You can pm or email. Thank you
    Dominick

2. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    Retire to Atlanta ? You must be kidding !

Atlanta is a work city....great employment, schools....you work & raise a family here but do not retire here ! No beach, no mountains, terrible traffic and freezing cold winters.

I've been here for 20 years, again great place to work & raise a family but as soon as my daughter graduates HS (next May) we are out of here.

Bill

3. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    I was scratching my head the whole time reading this. I can't wait to retire out of Atlanta, and move to the Caribbean or something. Atlanta is sucking more and more each year. A lot has changed for the worse since the 90's.

4. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    #4 pingi3, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    I have been a resident of Georgia since 79 and have to say I love it here. Bill makes some valid points but I think it is a little harsh. And that is because I am a glass half full kind of guy. We live in Smyrna which is right outside 285 near 75. Get lot more land for the money and pay way less in taxes. Utilities are very cheap compared to the rest of the bigger cities. Google Fiber is coming to Smyrna. We have the Silver Comet Trail that is 61.5 miles long and reaches all the way to Ga/Al state line. Easy access to the airport. Straight shot into midtown and downtown. Access to the new Atlanta Beltline. Close to Paces Ferry Rd providing access to great restaurants and shopping. And for the weather, I have to say that compared to the past, we no longer get extreme hot or cold days. And if we do, it lasts only a few days. Every ones definition of hot and cold conditions differ. And we love seasonal outings by taking drives up to North Ga to pick pumpkins, apples and strawberries.

I have done some projects in Peachtree City in the past. Much quieter place. Love that the city has an integrated golf cart path system that you can pretty much take to go anywhere. I loved seeing lines of golf carts parked back to back at schools for pick up. A lot of active and retired Delta pilots live in Peachtree City.

I can easily tell you faults of our city but see no reason to express them. I meet people from time to time that say that there is nothing to do in Atlanta... But I feel those people would say the same for any city they live in.

Good luck with your search.. I have many cities in mind that I would love to retire and live. Georgia is one of them.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There certainly are mountains nearby, maybe not like the Rockies, but there are some very good driving roads in north Georgia. Most of us will go on an occasional mountain drive, often finishing up with lunch at one of the vineyards near Dahlonega. And Atlanta Motorsports Park near Dawsonville, an automotive country club track, has some events that we attend. (They also have a dynamite kart track!)

Most of the "new" growth in Atlanta is north of town rather than south, but so is the worst traffic, so it's all about what you want out of life. I'd say that most of the Ferrari owners that I know live in the northern and northeastern suburbs, though I like it just fine in the northwest, just east of Marietta.

The Ferrari dealership is north-northeast of the city on the Roswell/Alpharetta border. T.Rutlands, the major Ferrari parts dealer, is northeast of town in Buford. There are a few good independent mechanics; mine works in Tucker, east of the city.

6. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    Wow, some harsh ciriticism! I was born and raised in Atlanta, and I would say I will probably end up staying here for the rest of my life, and I don't even have kids YET!

I use to travel 75% of the time for business a few years ago and have visited more cities and suburbs in the US than I can count. Nothing beats the mixture of big city feel, distinct suburbs, and cost of living. Most other cities it's pick 2 out of 3, max (and cities like Green Bay just suck).

Many suburbs come to mind but I think we need a bit more info on your requirements and general interest. From there, it's easy to narrow down. Smyrna/Viningd is a great area (at least the nice parts) - but the new Braves stadium is going to be there shortly which can be good or bad for you. I would check out Roswell, Alpharetta (Milton is close), Johns Creek, Decatur, and Cobb County in general.

From there you could probably narrow down based on needs/interest.

7. Bill in Atlanta

Nov 22, 2004
    BTW, if you're looking for a golf course/country club home with a heated/airconditioned 7 car garage let me know...I can help with that :)

Bill

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    great schools ?

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    why not just rent ?.... you can spend some time here and move on....

10. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark

PM me the specifics please. Thanks.

11. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    I know a few people who have retired to Atlanta in the last year. One couple bought a condo in Midtown another a condo in Buckhead and the last a small home in Brookhaven.

it all depends on what you want. If you are pretty well off and travel a lot Atlanta is a great base to retire in with its airport and reasonable home prices compared to South Florida or the west coast. Living expenses in general are a good bit cheaper than all the tier one cities yet Atlanta still has a lot of culture/good restaurants etc. Also within a hour or so you can be in the mountains.

When I was younger we always thought we would retire to Florida or maybe Europe but now i would stay put in Atlanta and just travel a lot. Atlanta is really not that bad as a place to retire IMHO.

12. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thank You everybody for your information. We have not decide in what city yet. We are looking for something in the suburbs around Atlanta. We are looking for 1 or more acres, with a four car garage or more, or we can build an additional garage. We want a quiet area, tired of the city life. We will be traveling to Ga in May for a week to look at different areas. Please keep the information coming, my wife and I appreciate it. Thank You again.
    Dominick

13. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    #13 CharlesE, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    I was born (1960) and raised in ATL. I t has definitely changed over the years. I can remember when they were building GA 400 (1972). It was 2 lanes from 285 to Holcomb bridge, and my bothers friends could race up and down 400 with no problems (me riding shot gun). Anyway, My wife and I will probably retire in the mountains on a lake (N GA, western NC) and the sooner the better for me. My wife really likes Big Canoe. You mention Milton. That is a very nice area and has some great driving roads. It is still horse country but is starting to get built up some. You can get several acres and build you dream garage.

My wife's sister and mother line in the Brevard / Hendersonville NC area. That is a nice area as is Asheville. No t sure if there are F car wrenches in that area but it is worth a search.

Good luck.

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i think youd be better of someplace like knoxville vs atlanta

no state income taxes.... short drive.... rent

15. Imperial Stormtrooper

May 7, 2014
    Far, Far Away
    Full Name:
    George
    I grew up in NYC and have lived in Sandy Springs for ~15 years. It sounds to me that you want space, and don't care for city amenities too much. If so, Peachtree City may not be what you're looking for- the traffic is just as bad there as it is in the northern 'burbs. Cumming may be what you're looking for right now, but at the rate that the population of Forsyth county is growing, you will soon experience the choking traffic that the rest of the northern 'burbs experience. For retirement, I would take a look around Chattanooga, the North GA Mountains, and Reynolds Plantation & surrounding area.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Perhaps something in the Braselton/Hoschton area? It's still fairly quiet out there (though perhaps not for long), property is still relatively cheap, and you're close to Road Atlanta and the Atlanta Dragway.

17. Bill in Atlanta

Nov 22, 2004
    #17 Bill in Atlanta, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    What part of town is this?

19. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

+1000
    That's the area I was thinking too. Great for car lovers, and not congested with traffic like ATL. If I ever moved back to Georgia I would look into that area as well.
    Our F-Chat buddy Marc lives near there, and it's awesome.

20. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    where are you moving to Bill?

21. Bill in Atlanta

Nov 22, 2004
    Wife wants to be on the beach---not at the beach, on the beach
    I want warm weather....so only 3 choices: South Carolina, Florida or Southern California

We've looked extensively at SoCal for last 3 years but I think we've ruled it out...too many financial & political concerns. Don't like most of South Fla and grew up going to South Carolina coast. So to answer your question, somewhere on NE or Central Fla coast (Amelia Island, Vero Beach, Longboat Key, etc). We are narrowing the search now and visiting a lot of places, goal is to move early/mid next year. Where our daughter goes to college will determine if we keep a (smaller) place in Ga. Would love for the home to go to a "car guy", that is who it was built by, and for.

Bill

22. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thank You everyone for your input and suggestions. My wife look at some of your suggestions and made our search a little more difficult to decide. Now we are also looking Braselton/Hoschton area also, nice areas.

As far as the cost for auto title transfer, what expenses are there, and approx. car insurance
    Dominick

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    another reason just to rent....

for the privileged of bringing your autos in.. expect to pay 7% of the fmv in TAVT tax....

24. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    A little steep

25. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    my wife and I moved here in 2008 and purchased a home in Milton. We love it there. We relocated from Lauderdale, which is my home town. People in this area are a fresh alternative to the S. Florida nuttiness we all got use to. Best of luck,