Select Luxury in Marietta | FerrariChat

Select Luxury in Marietta

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Drew Altemara, Jul 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Hi Atlanta folks. Thinking about replacing my NSX that I have been driving round every day for 18 years with a used Porsche 911 (3 to 5 years old) to use as a daily driver.

Just skimming EBAY and Auto Trader, Select Luxury in Marietta seems to have a good selection (along with Hennessey).

Anyone know anything about them?

Posting either here or by PM woul be a big help to me.

Thanks,

Drew Altemara
    Tuscaloosa, AL

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I drive the place fairly often and they always seem to have a nice selection of mainly German cars, though they have had the odd Ferrari at times. I've only been in there once, just to look around, and it seemed pretty decent. But, never having had business dealings with them, I can't say anything about that aspect.

You'd probably be better off dealing with a factory dealer, but then you might pay more as well. Hennessy has recently expanded their dealership, so they ought to have a good selection.

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I looked at a Porsche there several years ago. made the appointment... had to wait for 45 Min as the guy was "out"... came back.. he was a "baller" type... at that point I wanted to leave - my wife wanted to look at the car.... which was in the "back"... but then we told him who we were... "oh yea, my bad we sold that one, but we have this other one for $30k more..."

Shady was my description .... They buy stock at the highline auto auction... mostly cars out of warranty- or needed work. I'd stay away.

Hennessy is the place for me. Talk to Scott ( forget last name) good folks.

There is a guy in Fayetteville... G.E.A.R.S - has good cars - difficult to work with if you want to finance a car... ( we go through BOA, and they would not deal with him because he does not pay their dealer fees?... ) so we did not do the deal ... he wanted me to go through a credit union.. but rates were higher etc...it as a no sale. but he had good cars there.

4. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    TomS is probably thinking about Scott Hamilton... My guy was Bruce Pinder (great as-well) also John Diessen (sp) is another good one to work with. The advantage with Hennessy would be their CPO cars if looking for used. The only downside might be the trade value offered on the NSX and the word "wholesale" and "Manhiem" become the two worst things you will hear of.

5. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    What are the specifics on the NSX you want to replace/sell?

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yep Scott Hamilton... just did not have the time to look up the last name! Thanks Bob!

I did the whole country search for our 911... 1. I needed an auto - wifey don't play 6 speeds... and

2. I liked the idea of a long drive back... so we found one at a BMW dealer in Columbia SC
    3. I wanted Lobster claw wheels... so had to cast the net wide.

7. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    I've drove by this place many times. Seems like a volume dealership - but never dealt with them. Happy to check out a car if needed

8. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Thanks guys.

I did have a nice chat with John Dissen at Hennessy today about 911s. Mainly PDK vs manual. I think he would be good to work with.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinions.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    For Any city driving ... PDK all the way. actually for any driving track included.

10. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    Automatic vs. manual transmission depends on how much you enjoy shifting. For me it is a big part of the joy and engagement of driving. Dealers make more money from selling you an automatic so will probably push that, telling you the automatic can shift faster than a human, which is true but unless you are racing that doesn't matter. It is all about the challenge and engagement with the car.

11. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    One of the reasons I held onto the NSX for so long is that it is a very engaging car to drive; especially to manually shift. I honestly do not know about the PDK and I don't think a test drive is enough to give me the information I need to make a decision.

So...

I just registered for the 2 day Porsche driving school Sept 29 and 30. This should give me a good deal of time with the Porsche PDK - albeit not in a suburban environment... plus, from what I have been told, it gives you all you can deal with and is a lot of fun.

Come join me!

Drew

12. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    I would not classify PDK as an automatic, very different. Having driving manuals all my life and hopping into several single clutch and double clutch "automatic manuals", you can't beat some of the new dual clutch technology out there.

There will always be the folks who favor true manuals, but that crowd is slowly dying.

13. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    Oh no, I'm slowly dying. I hate that! :)

14. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    Haha, folks who love to shift a manual trans are alive and well! Look at demand for the manual only GT4 and 911R. We have been in the minority for a long time and always will be but I meet plenty of young driving enthusiasts who want the engagement of a manual trans.

If the car can shift itself it is an automatic. PDK = automatic. "Flappy paddle" automatics are definitely more fun than no-paddle automatics. They can be fun for a day or two for some variety, but even on track where you can push to ten tenths flappy paddle automatics start to feel monotonous to me after 30 minutes or so.

Drew, Porsche's driving school at Barber is awesome. You will love it. I have done it up to the Master's Plus level and each successive one is more fun than the one before it. I last did it in Spring of 2015 and they had manual trans 911s along with the automatics. Have fun!

15. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    It's a matter of opinion, when I think automatic, I think torque converters.

I like to think of myself as young (millennial) and I will always prefer my sports car to be an true manual, hell, my 355 is a 3 pedal. When you look at the industry and the vast majority of what is being produced (quantity wise), they are going with dual clutch technology. Less drive train loss and much quicker than human shifting.

16. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Thanks guys,

Eveyone I have talked to has had good things to say about the Barbers Porsche Driving School.

I love to shift, but the Porsche guys I know say PDK/paddles is the only way to go. Guess I'll see how much of a dinosaur I really am.

Drew

17. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Keep you NSX or trade for a air cooler Porsche (993). Both are are great stick cars. Or if you want to go fast, trade for an older Viper.

Then get you a new or newish dual clutch paddle something.

Given Will is lurking, I say Ferrari is of course the only way to go!

i am a stick guy but recently drove the Turbo S and GT3 at the Porsche driving experience and loved them both. Well' I loved the GT3...the Turbo is fast but not my cup a soda.

i do find it funny driving my wife's boring but quit comfortable Mercedes station wagon....that also has paddles! And no it's not the AMG sadly enough.

18. shootermcgavin

Jul 10, 2016
    I've been to that dealership once to look at a car and test drive it. No frills experience and they didn't hound me much after it either. They're definitely focused on the luxury market and will move some interesting cars, both locally and around the country.

If you're looking for a Pcar in the Atlanta area, I highly recommend Gene (or Red) at Porsche Atlanta Perimeter (formerly Jim Ellis Porsche).

19. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    I bought a Aston Martin from them a few years ago. All went well, they detailed the car and tanked it up. No issues or problems. The owner called a while back to check and see how the car was working out. Prices seemed in line but do your homework and know what the market is on the car you are looking at.

20. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    What? You need to broaden your scope of Porsche guys. :) Who do you think is driving demand for manual only GT4/911R/Boxter Spyder? Manual shift is the only way to go for a fun, engaging, challenging drive. If all one cares about is what's fastest and don't mind just being along for the ride on the transmission side of things, a PDK automatic then, but that's sad and boring.

21. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    Agreed on the current gen. 911 Turbo. It is fast but feels disconnected and too "comfortable". The GT3 is a much more emotional drive and is the only car that ever tempted me to buy an automatic. Fortunately, it looks like the 991.2 generation GT3 will be available with the fun trasmission.

22. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    #22 911&F430, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    To use the terminology correctly I think you have to look at what the words automatic and manual mean generally in English. Manual means doing it yourself and it doesn't happen if you don't do it. Automatic, whether torque converter or double clutch, the machine is doing it for you. Manufacturers like to call the paddle shifter automatics "manuals" for marketing purposes I believe. It makes the buyer feel better even though they are actually buying an automatic.

Yes, they definitely sell more dual clutch automatics than manuals and from a purely business standpoint it makes more sense to only develop and sell one transmission. Truthfully, most folks who by premium cars like Porsche and Ferrari are not pure or true driving enthusiasts so to speak and are happy with a transmission that requires no skill. The status of the car is enough. If they can also tell themselves that they have the faster transmission, they probably feel even better.

Fortunately there are still those Porsche customers who demand a manual. I wish Ferrari customers had raised a fuss when they dropped manual transmissions.

23. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    I was at the Porsche concour yesterday at Hennessey. they had a new 911 cab in the showroom with a 6 speed. I couldn't believe it.

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Don't listen to them. Buy what you want.

I am thinking seriously about the new Fiat 124. The moment I heard the 6 speed manual was an option, I told them to call me when one was in, they can keep the auto.

25. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Please do keep us posted if you get one, would love to hear some real-world feedback. I really like the looks of the Miata RF (targa-style power hardtop), but don't think those are in dealerships yet. May look at one of those when the time comes. Would also like to drive a Miata and 124 back-to-back to contrast differences.