Help with Atlanta hotels | FerrariChat

Help with Atlanta hotels

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by GrigioGuy, Aug 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Hi there

It turns out that I am attending the Microsoft Ignite conference in September. It's in downtown Atlanta at the Georgia World Congress Center. Naturally, the hotel attached to the center is sold out.

What is downtown Atlanta like? Is grabbing another hotel close by the Center/Centennial Olympic Park and walking in/out a good idea? I can get a name chain within a mile or so. Or would I be better off with something further out and dealing with traffic each day?

If downtown is the way to go, any recommendations? A $1000/day hotel will -not- get past accounting.

Thanks
    T

2. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yes just get something in the area of the GWCC or Olympic Park and walk it. More hastle than it is worth to contend with daily traffic in my opinion. Some choices in that area are the Hyatt House, Embassy Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, lots of choices downtown depending on what "brand" you prefer.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    An alternative is to stay in Buckhead and take MARTA. Several good hotels are within walking distance of the Buckhead or Lenox train stations. You get off at Five Points and then take a westbound train one stop to the Philips Arena/GWCC/Georgia Dome station. Round trip fare is $5 and you don't have to worry about traffic or parking.

Or, the Marriott at Perimeter Center is within walking distance of the Dunwoody station.

4. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    I'm not a fan of that area, particularly at night. Agree with Staying in Buckhead, nice Embassy Suites or Hyatt Regency. Intercontinental and W also good choices for something premium.

5. shootermcgavin

Jul 10, 2016
    there's a hilton and possibly a marriott property on one side of centennial olympic park, btw gwcc and the aquarium. would be fine staying there unless you're planning on wandering about in the area past midnight.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    We run the GWCC Food Service - they recommend that you stay at the Hyatt House or Hilton Garden inn... close by... but for night life there is not much close by.

try the Grand Hayatt or Intercontinental in buckhead - there is a Marriott close to MARTA = Lennox station.

or try looking for Air B&B in buckhead / midtown

7. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    The area is a bit better these days with a good few nice bars and restaurants in walking distance. Right next door is the Glenn which is nice and has a great rooftop bar. I also stay sometimes at the Ellis hotel which is a close walk thru the park to the GWCC and is reasonably priced. If you want to spend a little more the Hotel Indigo or Ritz Carlton across the road on Peachtree Street are fine. All are a nice 5-10 minute walk thru the park to the GWCC.