WARNING ABOUT BUTLER TIRE! | FerrariChat

WARNING ABOUT BUTLER TIRE!

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by mperez225, Aug 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mperez225

mperez225 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Manny Perez
    Hello Gang,

I haven't posted in quite sometime, but I needed to vent after a recent horrible experience with the Butler Tire off Jones Bridge Road.

I have used that shop for over a decade. At first with my Lotus Esprit S4s where they did a great job replacing the tires and then aligning the car, later my Jaguar, etc. Boy have things changed since the last time I was there. I took my OZ Nova wheels off my Final Edition Esprit to have new tires mounted and balanced. I told the guy at the front desk (hawaiian looking) multiple times that I need extra care because these wheel are no longer available and are irreplaceable. The new tires where covered in plastics bags as it was how I was storing them.

About 2 hours later (I waited there), I paid for the service and loaded the wheels and tires on a pickup truck. The wheels with the new tires where enclosed in the plastic bags I brought and I did not even think to open the bags and inspect the wheels because I trusted them or so I thought I did. THAT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE!!! Upon close inspection I realized they scratched 3 of the 4 wheels. They obviously got the tire changer too close to the lip of the rim and put 6-8 inch scratches.

When I called the lovely individual he immediately got defensive and later on very rude and denied fault. Needless to say I will never ever use any Butler Tire Facility Again!!!

Who do you guys recommend to do a proper high quality refinish on the wheels? I was planning to drop off all 4 wheels at Wheel Wizard on Monday.

What tire shop do you guys use that has high end Hunter Equipment (lever-less/touchless tire changers, rood force balancers, etc.)?

Thanks for you help.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    gran turismo east

i had them mount a set of tires on some newly refinshed/polished fuchs. the put a really small scratch in one wheel. they called and had me come look. it was really trivial but harris insisted on having it fixed.

wheel wizard is also good as they can fix them if the scratch them

3. mperez225

mperez225 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Manny Perez
    Thank you for the reply Henry. That's good to know that they were honest and upfront when they had an issue. That's what upset me the most with Butler. They covered it up by wrapping them in plastic and then flat out denied it.

I will swing by GT East before I drop off the wheels at WW.

4. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    WW can mount and balance.....

GTE actually had them fixed when i told them dont bother. they insisted. place is sorta a dump and make sure your CCW is current but they do really good work.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It's the quality of employees they hire and, often, a total lack of experience.

I generally find some excuse to con my way into standing next to the wheel balance guy while he is working. Unless I do this, chances are they wont even bother to even measure the rim. They just put it on the machine and spin it. I have seen this dozens of times in various shops around town over the past three decades.

The one I like to use the most has a road force balancer I like. The new guy using it was a valet a few weeks before. Never worked in a tire shop until there. I realize this isn't a difficult and this guy did a good job (maybe because I was standing there talking to him?) but still....

You get the idea.

6. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    U R so right!!

Ciao,
    George

7. ButlerGuy

ButlerGuy Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Carson Z
    PM Sent. The type of service and the experience you had at my John's Creek location is not what we built this business on. We've been in Atlanta for over 50 years and have been well respected in the exotic and high end Atlanta community due to our quality and service. If anyone on this forum has an issue with any 4 of my locations, please contact me in Marietta and I'll will do what I can to make things right.

Carson 770-973-8622

8. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ^^^^ nobody is 100% perfect all the time

cant ask more than that - chance to fix it

9. zoomie35

zoomie35 Rookie

Oct 11, 2007
    My experiences at Butler have always been top notch. They are helping me sort some tires I bought from tire rack, the store manager has been very helpful diagnosing the problems. Anytime I've had a problem, they've been my go to shop.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It isn't the screw up that bothers me the most with this sort of thing, it's how it's handled later. You could split one of my rims in half and still win me over for life if you stand up and do what's right.

11. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    I understand the frustration.

Those wheels are literally impossible to find.

12. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If so, I think the OP is nuts for not inspecting the wheels before driving them home.

13. RammJaeger

RammJaeger Karting

Jul 24, 2016
    Woodstock, GA
    Carson,

I need to have some fairly expensive rims mounted. I've been thinking about going to Butler. Would you recommend going to your Marietta location? I'm in Woodstock.

Thanks

14. mperez225

mperez225 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Manny Perez
    As sburke stated. These wheels have not been available from Lotus for several years now and even finding them used is a huge challenge. That's why I emphasized the importance of keeping them in the same condition I brought them in was critical to me. Even finding the exact paint code is impossible.

The biggest mistake I made was not insisting to be present during the whole dismounting/mounting process and at the very least inspecting them before I left. Unfortunately, I am now paying the price.

At the time I thought it was a nice gesture that they had wrapped them in the plastic bags not thinking they were hiding the damage they caused. I honestly did not expect any damage since I've had perfect experiences in the last 10 years of doing business with them.

15. mperez225

mperez225 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Manny Perez
    I visited WW last Friday and had the owner give me a tour and walk me through the process they follow. The quality of their work looked very good. Yesterday I also called Metro Wheels and they were very helpful in walking me through the process (including how they handle the TPMS).

I loaded all 4 wheels and went to Metro Wheels to get their opinion. I was very impressed that they weren't pushing for me to leave the wheels. They looked at the damage to one of the wheels and got the painter to talk to me. He actually said that since the damage is only on the outer edge of the rim and the wheels are basically like brand new that it was not worth to do a full repaint. The silver color of these wheels is extremely difficult to match.

They went ahead and brought out a paint chip/sample of their hyper silver and the color was not an exact match. I appreciated their advise and when the time comes to do a full repaint I will probably use Metro Wheels.

I am honestly very concerned with having the wheels totally stripped and repainted. For now I am going to keep them original and have a mobile service touch up the 2 worst ones and move on.

Thank you for all of your feedback.

16. mperez225

mperez225 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Manny Perez
    Carson,

Thank you for the post. I will call you tomorrow.

Regards,
    Manny

17. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i have used both WW and metro wheels. found both did great work. WW is usually cheaper

18. ButlerGuy

ButlerGuy Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Carson Z
    I'm going to be the closest location to you here in Marietta. Give me a call and we can set you up with a time to drop them off and have them mounted. We have 2 completely touchless Corghi mount machines along with took delivery of the newest/best road force balancers offered from Hunter last month.

19. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    They were in bags, and he's used the place before. I probably wouldn't have checked till I got home either.

The wheels are highly sought after, and almost never pop up for sale.They would sell for a high premium within the first day listed for sale.

20. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what kinda wheels ? pics ?

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I went to Butler 2 x in the past 15 years. I have made the decision to not go back.

rude service, and the whole "baller" treatment is not what I want or expect. Roswell road location... not for me.

I have used Grand Tourismo East for now exclusively for 10 years or so, and have always been very satisfied. Karin the manager is loud and talkative but knows what he is doing. the place is not fancy or super slick, but the work is TOP quality.

Highly recommend GTEast, especially if you are going on track.

22. RammJaeger

RammJaeger Karting

Jul 24, 2016
    Woodstock, GA
    Ok thanks Carson, will give you a call.

23. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
  24. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would have. But I'm the guy that won't pull away from a valet without going around the car with my flashlight.

All I'm saying is...... If you didn't bother to check the wheels before you walked out of the store then you're close to owning the same blame as the shop. Don't put them on blast on the internet because you didn't do your job.

Had you checked them and pointed out the problem before leaving none of this would be happening.

25. mperez225

mperez225 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Manny Perez
    #25 mperez225, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Jason,

Like you I am very picky, but unlike you I would never valet any of my cars and never park and leave my Esprit unattended period.

So you are basically saying that because I did not check the wheels at the shop I am partially at fault. Like I said before, the wheels were not inspected at the shop because I had a high level of trust with the shop.

Your statement doesn't make any sense. Inspecting the wheels either at the shop or later at home would not have changed the outcome. I would still have damaged wheels which I wanted to keep in original condition, so I don't see your reasoning.

Anyways guys, I have been in touch with Butler and I will be speaking with the General Manager soon. They have offered to address the issues and I really appreciate that. I prefer to keep the factory finish but lets see how they turn out after they get touched up on Friday. I am going to try to pass by the Marietta store next week and meet Carson.