Petit Le Mans: | FerrariChat

Petit Le Mans:

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Sep 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I know that Ferrari is not having any sort of hospitality this year, so parking may be problematic. Is anyone planning on bringing their Ferraris? (I might on Friday only.)

Does anyone have any inside information on whether there will be any general parking in the area between the turn 11 bridge and the vendor village area? I know that most of this area will be reserved for the car corrals (Porsche, Corvette, Mini).

2. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    probably not unless you get there early.. every year the vette club gets bigger.. as does our U Boat commander friends from Porsche.

3. JoeAsheville

JoeAsheville Rookie

Jun 15, 2014
    I'd like to drive something special this coming year...but I'll likely drive a beater and ride around the track on an e-bike. It's becoming a zoo.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A Sherman tank might be a good idea.:D

5. DrinkMan

DrinkMan Rookie

Nov 14, 2014
    North GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    This will be our first year going to Petit Le Mans. We are seasoned Mitty viewers. Is the parking and crowd different for Petit? We brought our '66 Lotus Elan to Mitty and loved the response (last year was Alfa) and taking it to different areas. Is that possible for the Petit Le Mans?

Thanks - trying to decide what to take this weekend.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Its much more crowded at Petit.. and you get the casual race fans & families and the hard core fans ... who bring in the huge RV's etc... That being said - the only reason to not bring the elan would be if it has any problem sitting in traffic as the lines getting in can be long on race day... also you need to have a parking pass for inside the track to park there.

7. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    I will be in my 91 Elan. the weather is going to be epic.

8. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Just a note--Infield parking is $50 from what I saw.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    On Thursday and Friday you may be able to move the car to different areas inside the track. On Saturday, the best advice is to park in one place and use the shuttle vans to travel around the infield. Certainly with a race this long there will be plenty of time to try different vantage points.

My favorite viewing points are turn 10 (under the big video screen), turn 7 and, of course, Spectator Hill. The hill between turns 1 and 2 can be entertaining as well.

10. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    For picture taking the early evening light on the straight from turn 5 to turn 6 and the sunset looking between turn 6 and 7 can be pretty magical.

11. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    On race day you want to be arriving by 6:30am if you can.

12. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hard to believe that FoA is not at Road Atlanta this weekend. I would ALWAYS go by & buy something from Harold & Ken. No sidewalk sales in Dec. anymore. Different times I guess.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Very enjoyable two days, with nearly perfect weather. Drove the 328 on Friday only and found a decent place to park. Saw a number of FChatters today, and it was a bonus that Risi won GTLM and Scuderia Corsa won the season championship in GTD. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the sound from the turbo 488s, though.

Photos will be delayed since I had to have my computer repaired and haven't had a chance to reinstall my photo software yet.

14. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #14 Patek, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great seeing you Jim, you may recognize some of these characters, a bit on the shady side. I could not get too close because of the security they had.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Impervious

Impervious Karting

Sep 20, 2010
    Ferrari turnout was pretty disappointing. Besides what was on track I only saw 2 Fcars... a 355 and 430.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    On Friday I had my 328 there, and I saw no other Ferrari road cars all day. On Saturday, when I took my Honda, I saw a 355 (yellow, parked for a while in the same gravel lot as I was, near turn 3), a 430 (red spider), and a 458 (red with a black top).

If you don't give them a place to park, they won't come, and I don't blame them. If you look at the buildings that Porsche and Audi erected, it's evident that FNA should be willing to spend a little money on the event.

(BTW, did anyone see the half-Lego 919 that Porsche had in front of their building?)

17. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #17 Patek, Oct 3, 2016
  18. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #18 Patek, Oct 3, 2016
    also if you went to Pebble Beach, you would have seen this VW split window, win with a 100 point Vehicle. It lives across the road from RA.

Not may 100 point cars are ever driven.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    FNA does not really support Risi or the other Ferrari teams...so they don't show up. and Risi does not have the resources to host a huge tent like PNA/ PCA. That being said, I was in the Porsche tent - it was filled to the brim... and its become a first come first serve location so everyone was hoarding seats etc... especially on Saturday. Friday it was more open.

Road Atlanta Charges a crazy amount for a corral.. the Mini corral was empty- had I known that was going to be the situation -I would have tried to get some Ferrari friendly parking there.

I was there with my father and a family friend so I took my ford, and used a golf cart on both days ... Likewise they ( Nascar / IMSA ) are charging a lot for vendor slots so that explains FOA not being there & I don't blame them... its lot to do for very little up side. most of the tents were showing something vs. models, and race stuff... sad that there is so little vendor turn out as well....

20. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    I saw Tom zipping around in the golf cart.

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    #21 spirot, Oct 3, 2016
  22. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #22 Patek, Oct 3, 2016
  23. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Probably off to Nissan's museum near Nashville.

24. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Now after all these years, watch them win the 24 hrs of Daytona in 2017. Last year they were in the lead when the sun set, then in a caution period on the track, they ran into the back of another car. Crazy stuff.

25. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    #25 F355Bvc, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Sorry we missed you Tom. The gang and I, see John's pic, were sitting in front of the Porsche , PCA, tent at turn 10 !!!