2017 Barber Honda Indy GP - Pirelli World Challenge gone :( | FerrariChat

2017 Barber Honda Indy GP - Pirelli World Challenge gone :(

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by BMW.SauberF1Team, Oct 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I was checking the 2017 Pirelli World Challenge schedule last week since the season ended not too long ago...I'm incredibly disappointed the Barber Indy weekend lost it. The race will be held at VIR instead. I thought attendance was great this year and the drivers I spoke with in the PWC loved the track. The IMSA calendar doesn't have Barber listed to take its place.

Does anyone know what feeder event will take its place, if any? Will they just run with nothing in that space like in years past? I was really looking forward to going to the races in April, but I may just go to the St. Pete season opener in March and see the PWC and IndyCar together there.

Kind of a let down since it's a ton of fun watching a Bentley, McLaren, Ferrari, GTR, 911, and others on the track at once.

2. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Oh MAN! This really sucks. I've really enjoyed the Indy weekend the last few years, and the PWC was a huge part of that. Honestly I liked watching them as much if not more than the Indy cars. Something to be said for real variety vs. a spec series.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Just an update, but Barber has been sending out a lot of their emails recently for ticket purchases. It appears they'll have the Mazda MX-5 Cup (new at Barber), Mazda Prototype Lites (new at Barber), and Porsche GT3 Cup USA (previously featured at Barber) for the feeder races.

Sigh...I think I won't make the trip for that this year. I really am not interesting in those smaller series. I enjoyed the PWC the past few years over the spec-series IndyCar main event...

I will probably just drive to St. Pete for the Indy race there, which is paired with the Pirelli World Challenge. That airport/street course is not nearly as fan-friendly as Barber unfortunately. I'll probably make the trip out for the Barber Historics.

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Yes, definitely a step down from PWC. At least it sounds like they have found something and there won't be any "dead space" between races.

Hopefully they can renegotiate with either PWC or IMSA/CTSCC for 2018, which would be the first year of the new Indycar rules package, so that has potential to be a very exciting weekend.