What's Nashville/Suburbs/Surrounding Like? | FerrariChat

What's Nashville/Suburbs/Surrounding Like?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by 19633500GT, Mar 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Hey guys

Considering a move, I currently live in CT, and am far far over it.

Thinking about relocating further South.

Can anyone chime in about Nashville area? Hermitage (sp?) suburbs, surrounding etc?

Interested in Cost of living, crime, neighborhoods

I know I can Google all of that, but would love insight direct from the ground

Is housing trending up? Down? Stagnant?

Thanks!!!

Ken

2. titangolf

titangolf Karting

May 25, 2010
    Ken,

I live in Brentwood, a suburb just south of Nashville. My family has lived here for the past 15 years. Love it here and wouldn't live anywhere else. Great economy, VERY hot housing market (voted top market by Zillow), no state income tax, low crime, HUGE car town. Cost of living is still relatively affordable compared to most major cities. In town living is great with many great restaurants, sporting events, etc but best school system is in Williamson County (cities of Brentwood and Franklin)

3. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Excellent !

I brought up Brentwood. Looks like a great spot. Charm, not too big.

What are the seasons like? Snow? Rain? Sunny days?

Are schools well rated? (Public)

Property tax?

Thanks again

4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    A lot depends on what you want to find.

There's a lot of cultural diversity around TN.
    You get cities -- with the crime and costs that go with them, but you can get outside the cities and find a rural environment.

I moved about 90 miles east of Nashville, last year, to the base of the Cumberland plateau for the weather sheltering effects.

I'm loving the climate here. Where DC climate consisted of "too hot" and "too cold", there are nice parts of the day, year round here:
    In summer, the mornings are nice, before hot afternoons, and the afternoons get quite reasonable in winter.

But that's the perspective of a retiree who can pick when he goes out. ;)
    Younger people find this area "boring" for the lack of nightclubs.

We had snow twice, this winter. Nothing to shovel: it was gone in a day or so.
    (But then, I'm in sheltered terrain. Nashville gets more.)

Out here, the cost of living is pretty low. Housing gets cheaper, further from the cities.
    I stopped following prices after I bought my house, but they were on a slight rise up to then.
    Property taxes vary by county. Out here, they're fairly low.
    But sales tax also varies by county, and can be pretty high in cities.

The cities have the "hot spots", in crime and culture.
    ("Interesting" can be both good and bad. ;))

But you don't have to live there.

In DC, it took 45 minutes to an hour to drive six miles to Crystal City.
    In MA, 20 miles would take around the same.
    Here, I can drive the 90 miles to Nashville in well under an hour and a half.
    Most of the highways are 70 mph, outside the cities.

Most of the cliches you've heard about the South are wrong.
    There are lots of churches, but the people are less "bible thumpers" here than in the VA suburb of DC I left.

TN is largely a manufacturing state.
    Smyrna, TN, and other Nashville area towns challenge Detroit for automobile production -- and you can drink the water. ;)

One thing to keep in mind is banking.
    BoA has pretty much left TN.
    I think there's still one branch in Nashville, but they sold most of their branches to a local bank.

Similarly, I have fiber phone and internet from a local company, not Verizon.
    (They offer fiber TV as well, but I'm still on satellite.)

I don't have kids, so I'm not worried about the schools. But I was surprised how early they start (before labor day).
    One thing I hadn't seen before is school closings during flu season, to prevent the spread you get in most cities.

5. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    That is some excellent information

I'm 31, married, plan on having one more kid.

I like the outskirts, I'm not a bar or club guy.

My biggest "goes" are schools, crime, cost of living and quality of life.

The more I crunch numbers, the more I like this area...

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    check out Franklin, nice suburb to the south with some character and some famous residents.

East Nashville is where the hipsters are but probably not very good schools.

I love Nashville, have old family ties there, would love to live there someday.

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    I often thought nashville would be a nice place to live now that atlanta is getting so big. Tennessee state income tax is a bonus.

8. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I'm saying....:)

The more I look harder. The better I like it. Checked out Franklin. Nice mix of small city, casual living. Just my style

Agreed. And property taxes. I have a small home (1250 sq ft) in CT. Property taxes are close to $6K

A 4bd/3ba 3200sq ft home outside Nashville is like $1800-2200 a year. Couple that with no state income tax...
    Making out like a bandit! Plus, I'm a transplant here. I hate this place, my wife dragged me here.

9. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    You should check out Chattanooga -- beautiful scenery, great schools. In between Atlanta and Nashville plus you have a nice river / lake for boating in the summertime

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    I always tell all my wall street buddies you can pretty much get a 100% pay raise by moving down south if you can wing it with "like" employment.

Chattanooga and Knoxville are nice also.

Tennessee has great internet also