O/T: Unlimited hydroplanes in Alabama | FerrariChat

O/T: Unlimited hydroplanes in Alabama

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Jun 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Something a little different this weekend. There will be a test session for unlimited hydroplanes on Lake Guntersville on Saturday, as a proving event for a full-fledged race to be held there a year from now.

The session will be held just east of downtown Guntersville from 9 to 4, and I presume admission for anyone who wants to watch will be free. There is a levee trail which will provide prime viewing. Only 2 boats are participating: the defending champion U-1 Homestreet Bank from Madison, IN, and the local boat, the U-27 from nearby Gadsden. There is the possibility of a vintage hydroplane replica (with V-12 aircraft engine!) as well.

So if you're in the area and want to see the world's fastest racing boats, a couple will be on the water in Guntersville on Saturday.

NYC Fred likes this.
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #2 Gatorrari, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of the photos I took from the Guntersville levee, of the defending national champion U-1 from Madison, IN. The boat's top speed on the straight was around 190 MPH...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NYC Fred, ddrewesusa and piratepress like this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, I would love to come see that event.

Thanks for the photos...

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  5. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Nice job Jim!

6. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    WOW congrats Jim Nice job!!

7. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I lived and worked in Guntersville for 9 years...it's a great lake for water sports. I can't imagine several boats at speed turning at the spot where they plan to but I would gladly go check it out!

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Okay, it's now a year later, and this time they'll be racing for real! If you want to try a different form of motorsport, come to Lake Guntersville this coming weekend for some good action. Tickets are a bargain compared to most other motorsports, and there will plenty of things to keep the whole family entertained. I'll be somewhere around the event for the whole weekend.

https://www.marshallcountycvb.com/on-the-lake/hydrofest

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    By the way, the race course has been relocated from last year, when it was run in a part of the lake called Big Spring Creek, running along the east side of the city peninsula, and separated from it by a levee.

This year the course is in a much wider part of the lake called Browns Creek, which is on the west side of the city peninsula. The shoreline is a park, much like the shoreline in Seattle, much better for a lot of spectators than a levee.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A reminder: this year's renewal of the event is coming up this weekend on Lake Guntersville! And this year they'll be competing for the APBA Gold Cup, the oldest and most prestigious trophy in the sport. (Think of this as the Indy 500 of boat racing!)

https://explorelakeguntersville.com/the-lake/hydrofest/

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    tazz99 likes this.
  12. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    That is so cool Jim. Thanks for posting. You must really have to have a set to take the boat 190mph over water.

13. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That's just around the corner from my house!

Matt LaMotte and NYC Fred like this.
  14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here's what they were all shooting for: the APBA Gold Cup, the oldest trophy in motorsports, made by Tiffany's in 1902 and first awarded in 1904; this was the 112th running. (Or course, like other perpetual trophies, it is much taller now than when first made.)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Matt LaMotte and powerpig like this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff