Solar eclipse on Monday | FerrariChat

Solar eclipse on Monday

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Aug 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Thanks Jim, yes please do PM or call me for the list for our security detail.

3. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks David, your hospitality is second to none. Looking forward to Monday.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #4 Gatorrari, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Passed on S.C. since I got a sense very early that traffic on both I-85 and I-985/US-23 would be horrific, and based on what I heard on WSB, it was!

Instead, I took a more prudent approach and took I-575/GA-515 north to Blairsville. I left quite early, at around 8:15, and got there in normal time (about 2:10), which gave me some 4 hours to kill. I parked at their community center, and since there were no parking restrictions, stayed there for the duration, walking to a nearby sub shop for lunch. I managed to pick up a pair of eclipse glasses along the way, and they worked like a charm.

A fair crowd had gathered by the time the eclipse began at 1:00, and we watched as the sun eventually looked like a half-eaten Moon Pie. When totality hit at 2:34, it was quite sudden, as if someone had turned off a switch, and you could hear the oohs and aahs throughout the crowd. There were cumulus clouds in the area, but they proved to be a minor annoyance. Below is my mediocre photo of totality.

I left as soon as the sun began to reappear (described by someone as the "diamond ring" phase) and made decent time home. The slow points were approaching all the traffic signals in Blue Ridge, Ellijay and Jasper (I was in slow traffic when I waved at "Mr. Hobby" as I passed Free Time Hobbies!) and the trip home took just under 3 hours. Still, that sounded much better than the plight of the people coming back on I-85 and US-23!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login