F40 replica | FerrariChat

F40 replica

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Francorossi, Dec 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Francorossi

Francorossi Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Hi guys,

long time lurker here.........huge fan to the F40 ever since, it´s the ultimate superhyperwhatever car to me.

Watched this epic thread for instance:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/288gto-f40-f50-enzo-laferrari/396915-f40-lm-restoration-156.html

And that´seems to become a problem nowadays: The prices for this +25 year old car are running away, I´m really not into a market for 700.000 Euro/$ plus...........

My plan would be to get a replica with specs nearest to the original.

What would be a good starting point? Is Nick Mrozi really the only one in the market offering parts from the original molds?

I´m interested in the form and shape of this piece of art, not so in the technical specs ( which I find oldfashioned meanwhile, every BMW M5 or MB AMG is faster and more reliable nowadays)

So I would be very interested in the correct dimensions and the perfect shape etc, but do not care for the original engine/ transmission, neither to legal aspects......this thing should be moved on the race track for personal delight!

E.g. this one:

The Car

So a space frame comes to mind with e.g. a modern v8 and the body as close as possible to the original.

Did someone already do the trick? Are there recommandations to builders in the US or preferaby Europe that already proved that they are able to build a car from the scratch?

Any clue is highly appreciated, also PN´s are welcome......

Best regards

Franco

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    A 348 or 355 as starting point would make sense as they have the same wheelbase and greenhouse shape. They also have the longitudinal v8 setup; that's where I would start. There was a 600+hp twin turbo 355 challenge for sale not too long ago, it'd just be a bunch of body work and some other odds and ends to get what you want out of that. Bonus is it would actually be a Ferrari unlike that thing

4. Francorossi

Francorossi Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Hi guys, thanks for any thoughts and input so far...........the crucial point is really the decision if to start with a F Wheelbase, e.g. 348/355 or to construct an entire new car like Pete did with The Car..........still waving between these options.

Meanwhile best wishes to Xmas to you all

Regards

Franco

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Please note the F40 replica I posted a link to and I have nothing in common. I had just heard about it from my father :)
    Pete

6. Francorossi

Francorossi Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    .....Hi Pete,

sorry to hear, I was a bit too premature, I believe........

Regards Franco