Carlos Salaff Project Caden | FerrariChat

Carlos Salaff Project Caden

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Carlos Salaff, Apr 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carlos Salaff

Carlos Salaff Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Hello,

My name is Carlos Salaff and I'm new to FerrariChat. I'm starting a build thread to share a project that's very special to me. Hopefully you will enjoy it, too.

My background is in Automotive Design. I worked at Mazda's Southern California design studio for 10 years and played a key role in the exterior design of the Mazda Ryuga, Nagare and Furai concept cars as well as production vehicles like the CX-7, Mazda 3 and new MX-5. In 2012, I left Mazda and began a new chapter: the formation of my own car company and design of my first car.

I have always loved 1960s through 80s-era racing and sports cars. Many of these cars were designed by small teams, crafted by hand, and functioned as raw, mechanical beasts. I am committed to carry on these values with my company and products.

My first prototype (named project Caden, after my son) has recently begun the fabrication phase. This is a momentous occasion for me. For the past three years I have been sketching, creating physical models, and working in the computer to develop and finalize my design. This has been primarily a solitary experience, until recently when I brought on several experienced craftsmen to help bring my dream from the digital world into reality.

Ohio-based Pete's Custom Coachbuilding is hand-forming the aluminum body panels, just like the early days of Pininfarina and Bertone. Metcalf Racing, a Texas-based shop specializing in the restoration and racing of vintage Formula, Indy, and prototype cars, is designing the pushrod suspension and is currently working on fabricating the aluminum monocoque chassis.

I have much more to share with you all, but for now I wanted to introduce myself and the project. I will keep this thread active as things progress. Thanks for your interest!

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Why aluminum instead of carbon fibre for the monocoque?

SV

3. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Hi SV,

Great question, thanks for asking!

Early in the project, I considered a carbon fiber body and tub(like most every performance car of today) but decided it would not help support the experience I'm after.

This car will be largely carbon-fiber free because I believe metals have a timeless quality that is special, and in part explains why vintage cars like the Ferrari 330P4 and Jaguar E-type have lasting appeal compared to today's plastic-rich products.

The tub will be a riveted aluminum monocoque. The rear subframe and wishbones will be of polished stainless. The bodywork will hand-beaten out of aluminum and left naked.

These materials will be left on display and not covered up, because I want to celebrate their natural beauty.

4. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #4 Carlos Salaff, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Interesting! This will be a fun project to follow. Keep us posted!

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Make sure you separate the SS subframes from the alum tub including all fasteners. dissimilar metal corrosion is a ***** as anyone with a Lola has come to learn.

Best of Luck

7. lsmkr01

lsmkr01 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    VA
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Galvanic corrosion... if the parts are coated he will be fine. Good point for Carlos to keep in mind. Great project, looking forward to following the entire process! Thanks for sharing

8. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Thank you Keith, Mario, Jim, and Alexander for your interest and comments! I'll be sure to keep you posted on the build.

Jim, thanks for sharing your experience with galvanic corrosion. I will be sure to keep it in mind. BTW I'm a big fan of yours and of the cars you have brought to life!

9. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #9 Carlos Salaff, Apr 28, 2015
    Hi guys,

I thought I'd share my process for designing the station bucks, over which metal shapers are handcrafting the aluminum.

From my digital computer model, I first extract sections--like slicing a loaf of bread. From there, I develop the sections so that they will assemble like an old-school wooden dinosaur puzzle. Lastly, the files are sent to be laser cut in 1/2" MDF and the pieces are assembled. In the photos, you can see how I followed these steps for the center portion of the body.

I am finishing the files for the fender bucks, which I'll send out soon to be laser cut. The 2nd photo shows a rear tipped-up view of the digital model, with the fender buck curves surrounding the central "fuselage".

I love that the process is a marriage of traditional and modern ways of working.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Freitag

Freitag Karting

Apr 7, 2009
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Helge Mamen
    Hi, Carlos. Fantastic project. Looking forward to see what unravels. Especially interested in your thoughts about blending traditional and modern techniques.

Helge

11. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Fantastic project, very aquatic looking :)

12. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Thanks for your interest Helge and Paul!

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It does.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Subscribed.
    Pete

15. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #15 Carlos Salaff, Apr 28, 2015

Haha yes I have not shown the car with fender surfaces yet, and the central "fuselage" hanging all by itself really does looks like a speedboat!

Here's a screen shot showing my design with fender surfaces included.

Two big inspirations for me are Mansell's Ferrari 640 and Stewart's Tyrrell 003. Both have boat-like central "fuselage" forms that dive in and around the wheels, with contrasting, straight wing elements. All bred for function and racing regulations, but gorgeous too. The interplay of front wing and fuselage on the Tyrrell is just delicious to me:)

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Are you going to do CFD testing?

17. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Fascinating!

Is the idea of interlocking forms yours, or is it common practice? Very smart!

Metal, done right, is indeed beautiful, but I am not so sure about the bare metal...that's going to take a lot of upkeep. I hope it comes out true to your dreams.

Can't wait to read about your progress. Please provide regular updates.

18. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Great thread. Thanks for posting it

19. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Carlos,
    great project!
    I wish I lived near you. I would work for you for free just to learn this fine and dying art of hand fabrication.
    Good luck!

20. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Great Project, thanks for posting!

21. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Hi Jim,
    Yes--I ran some CFD tests on early models, and will be doing more to efficiently manage air through the car.

For those who are wondering--CFD is short for "Computational Fluid Dynamics". It's computer software that allows you to virtually test models for aerodynamic properties.

22. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Fantastic & good luck

23. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #23 Carlos Salaff, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015

Thanks for your interest and comments Zack! I'm not sure if others are using the exact process as I to design their bucks, but I wouldn't be surprised. I do know for sure that other metal shaping studios have been successfully integrating the digital workflow into their process and using similar ideas.

You raise a valid point re: metal upkeep. We'll try various ideas on test panels and see what we come up with. The bare metal look is so important to me, that I'm willing to put in the extra effort to find solutions. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

24. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    Thanks Dominic!

I have designed the car digitally, and am providing the wooden "buck" patterns for skilled craftsmen to form the metal to.

I am as fascinated as you by the traditional art of hand fabrication. I believe that the touch of an artist's hand on metal somehow can imbue a car with soulfulness.

The fine folks at Pete's Custom Coachbuilding are doing the metal shaping, so Pete is the one to call regarding an unpaid internship:)

25. Carlos Salaff

Apr 27, 2015
    LA |CLE |NYC
    Full Name:
    Carlos Salaff
    #25 Carlos Salaff, Apr 30, 2015