Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > Special Projects & Concept Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2016, 06:14 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

250 California Spyder Modena body modifications

Hi
A few months ago I bought this fiberglass 250 California Spyder replica made by Modena back in the late 80s,the car has a full tube chassis,ford 302 (350hp)with weber IDFs,5speed,9" rear, and the only set of Dayton aluminum rimmed wheels I have ever seen,runs out like a 289 cobra,surprisingly well built car and has 54k miles on it( that says a lot for a production assembled kit car), I have been modifying the body and interior to give it a more authentic look, I have been able to find a lot of reproduction Ferrari California Spyder parts to facilitate the transformation, I'll post some pictures of the car when I purchased it and as we have been modifying it, please email with any suggestions,the only real info I seem to be able to find is from pictures online ,and I would assume you would have to go thru a background check to actually sit in a real one lol, ..also please email me if you have any parts available for my project.....Matt.procann@gmail.com.......I can't seem to put more than two pictures up? What am I doing wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (94.0 KB, 944 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.6 KB, 927 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-21-2016, 11:42 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Modena Spyder

I am sorry I can't seem get many pictures up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.4 KB, 905 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (102.2 KB, 923 views)
Old 11-21-2016, 11:52 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Modena spyder

Removed the fiat 124 folding top assembly and made a mold to cover this area
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.8 KB, 910 views)
Old 11-22-2016, 12:50 AM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Modena Spyder

No more top
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.1 KB, 901 views)
Old 11-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Good to see you found this section :-)

Do you know how many of these kits were built?

Was the FB one exactly the same as yours, pre mods that is?

Any plans to fit a Ferrari drivetrain?
Old 11-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

You weren't kidding about heavily modifying it. Wow. That rear section alone made a huge difference. Look forward to seeing the other mods.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jim Smith
I would love to own one of these replicas! Good luck with everything, looks great!
Old 11-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

It has been up oc FC earlier but it is rather cool, even if it is not a particularly correct 250 California replica. Hand built body on a California chassis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2126.jpg (79.9 KB, 818 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2123.jpg (76.7 KB, 817 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2122.jpg (79.0 KB, 820 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-24-2016, 10:05 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mike S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by any_1 View Post
It has been up oc FC earlier but it is rather cool, even if it is not a particularly correct 250 California replica. Hand built body on a California chassis
Everyone's thinkin it, I'll say it. Wheels are hideous, rest of car looks presentable, so re think that wheel application and would be pretty cool overall. Just my 2 cts.

real k/o Borrani's ftw, and more tire, less wheel, and lift that car up!

to the op, these Modena spiders are cool, I remember when they were first borne. Pretty sure they employed one for a role in Ferris Buellers day off.

Last edited by Mang; 11-24-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mang View Post
Everyone's thinkin it, I'll say it. Wheels are hideous, rest of car looks presentable, so re think that wheel application and would be pretty cool overall. Just my 2 cts.

real k/o Borrani's ftw, and more tire, less wheel, and lift that car up!

to the op, these Modena spiders are cool, I remember when they were first borne. Pretty sure they employed one for a role in Ferris Buellers day off.
The wheels are not pretty, but they are modern Borranis. The owner said he could not find spoked wheels that would fit the brake discs....
Old 11-24-2016, 01:01 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mike S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by any_1 View Post
The wheels are not pretty, but they are modern Borranis. The owner said he could not find spoked wheels that would fit the brake discs....
I reckoned they were Boranni's - why I edited in the k/o part. Too bad a better 'look' can't be achieved.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:28 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,the wheels look very close to borrani,but they have Dayton hubs and aluminum rims,I called Dayton and apparently they made such a wheel for a couple years about 25 years ago,I believe Modena Made about 50-100 cars before Ferrari sued them and forced them to stop production,my main goal with a lot of the modifications is make it more look and feel more vintage, I just started modifying the headlight tubes and going with a vintage headlight assembly and trim ring...ill get some more pictures up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.0 KB, 743 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 02:38 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

I seam to be having trouble loading more then one or two pics at time,in the previous post picture we modified the rear section by raising the the rear body panel to fit the reproduced Spyder taillights...we have to enlarge the surface area on the dash to get the larger reproduced Ferrari veglia tach and speedo in,I have collected all the old Ceam switches,lighter and ignition switch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.9 KB, 740 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Replaced the GM steering ,a reproduced steering column pieces,Terry at GTO engineering in the Uk has been very helpful in supplying a lot of these parts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.2 KB, 741 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 02:51 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

We are eliminating all the dash vents except defrost and running the heat&a/c out of sight under the dash,added a glove box door and there is nothing like a vintage Ferrari steering wheel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.2 KB, 738 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

We eliminated the vent window assemblies and changed out the window regulator,we had to go power to make it work( but the switches will be the correct window cranks,)we also raised the the inside door handles and window cranks to correct height on the doors,we also fit the correct reproduced outside door handles....the mock up door glass is too tall it will be about 3" shorter,we are installing the correct Ferrari reproduced windshield and the frame which is made out of modified Alfa guilietta windsheild frame parts as were the originals...we added an enclosed track to forward area of the doors to get the single piece of glass in,fortunately it has a fiberglass cover so you can't see the modifications
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.2 KB, 738 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

The car had molded in headlight buckets and the head light tubes ,cutting these out will help give it that vintage look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.2 KB, 733 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 03:17 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

The molded in headlight tube tampered back to about 7 3/4" ,buy cutting it out and going with a 9" non tapered headlight tube that will fit behind the headlight cover lip it will really give it the alloy body look and allow us to put in the correct size headlight assemblies and rings which are 8" in diameter....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.1 KB, 734 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

These are the wheels on my car ,I am not sure how close to the borrani they are in appearance ,they are 15", I havent really thought about wheels yet ,although I have seen many pics online of the spiders with a wheel that looks to be about an inch wider and they look good, I bought this car from a guy back east it had a antique license plate on it and the car is registered as a 1965 Ferrari ..not sure what the California dmv will do? , kinda hard to lie about sales tax when your registering a 1965 ferrari lol....ill post more pics as I progress,thanks for your interest...sorry about the multiple post ,I can only get one pic per post..
Regards
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.3 KB, 734 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 04:11 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Wow! Looking forward to seeing the windshield fitted.