If you haven't heard of Southlake football... | FerrariChat

If you haven't heard of Southlake football...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rob lay, Jan 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Garrett Hartley who just put Saints in Super Bowl is Southlake graduate.

Greg McElroy who QB Alabama to national championship is Southlake graduate.

Tre Newton who was RB for national runner-up Texas is a Southlake graduate.

Chase Daniel, Heisman Trophy candidate and now backup QB for Saints is Southlake graduate.

Not bad for a town of 20,000 people. About 6-8 Southlake players a year get Division I scholarships.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Hey Rob, do you know anybody that lives in Southlake?

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Todd Dodge, former Southlake head coach, is 5-31 at North Texas.

Riley Dodge, Southlake graduate, is 2-10 as starting QB at North Texas.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I wasn't going to mention them, hey, we're not perfect! ;) I REALLY think Todd and Riley will finally do North Texas good next year. We'll see how my prediction works out, the Offensive Coordinator LEAVING for a high school job doesn't help. :D

Todd did coach and Riley did QB Southlake to top spot in all High Schools nationwide.

5. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    By the way, where does Kwame Killpatrick live now?

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I declare a border war! :D

7. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    It is impressive how successful the Southlake football program is. I know the 6th graders are running the same formations as varsity.
    Now when are we going to drive up 26 and see "Ferrarichat" painted on the top row of Dragon Stadium?

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We're not that big of fans yet. We go to about 1 game a year, usually playoffs. Now I do watch 4-5 swim meets, people look at me funny as I get more excited and yell more than the parents. :D Mia is 3 and already Dragon Swim Level 4 ;)

9. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I know what you mean. My 15 year old is playing hockey in Michigan this year for Honeybaked. I am commuting to Ann Arbor every week. As my son says"Academics are over-rated.., it is all about athletics."

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So you bought a Cirrus G3 or Cessna 400? :)

11. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Doesn't Southlake have their own domed practice facility that the Cowboys use?

12. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I actually like the Cirrus Jet but the FL250 limit is prohibitive. They will be getting a fractional one on lime at Plane Smart in Addison soon.
    But you know, I do look forward to the chardonnay and warm almonds on a Sunday evening.

13. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    it's crazy how big high school football is down in texas, i read friday night lights a while back, a couple of years before the movie came out, if i remember correctly, gary gaines, the coach, made more money than the principal. it's a great read for anyone that's interested.

but yeah, chase daniel was the one that brought mizzou to its glory days a few seasons ago, along with jeremy maclin, and a few others. (one of my fraternity brothers played high school football with j-mac)

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Don't know if you noticed John, but Monarch is a FerrariChat sponsor now. They have a few CJ and King's for sale. Warm almonds only part of the deal if you negotiate it in. :)

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #15 rob lay, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    yes, but Cowboy's don't use it very often. Maybe a few times a year when theirs isn't available or blows down. :)

our game stadium is something else, the Dallas Pro Soccer team used it for games until they got their own stadium.

I'm not a big Jerry fan, but it is cool how he lets high school teams play in the new Cowboys Stadium. Jennie, Mia, and I went to one of the playoff games. 40,000 people there and a great game. After the season out of the thousands of Texas high school games Dallas Morning News ranked it one of Top 5 games of year.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    What State do you feel has the biggest H.S. Football program. I always thought, or I should say (followed) The Florida programs. (I'm a huge Miami Hurricanes Fan.)

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think there are more teams and players in Texas, but Florida is loaded with talent. There has to be stats how many Division I players come from which states. Maybe talent wise just the All-Americans need to be looked at.

18. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I'm a '9'ers fan, so JJ is about as close to the anti-christ as it's possible to get ;)

But, I assume he lets HS's use it for free, which is kind of cool - How much is admission? Parking? Are the concession stand offerings the same outrageous price as when the Cowboys play?

IIRC, someone posted here a while back about an autocross (?) event they were having in the parking lot and JJ himself came out and told 'em they couldn't even give away water - They had to "contract" with his "food & beverage" crew apparently - *******!.....

Cheers,
    Ian

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jerry lets High School teams use for a nominal $2,500 or so (this is same rate as old Texas Stadium). All gate receipts go to the schools, in the game we went to Southlake netted around $100k. Concessions are Jerry's and they are expensive! I got Mia a bucket of popcorn and it was $10.

20. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #20 4re Nut, Jan 26, 2010
    A bit off topic but I recall an article a few years ago stating that MS produced the most NFL players per capita. If this article is to be believed it is now: Louisiana boasts most NFL players per capita

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  22. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    #22 1_can_dream, Jan 27, 2010
    My high school played the first HS game in the new stadium. Fortunately we won by a comfortable margin against a nationally ranked team from Utah.

23. SpecialK43

SpecialK43 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Kzoo, MI
    Full Name:
    K Russell
    My best childhood friend played for Honeyback when he was 16-18 a few years ago (almost positive he was a captain, I'll have to confirm). He got a ride to Ferris State, and after red shirting a year in St Louis, this is his 3rd year of NCAA and both him and the team are having a great year. Currently ranked 10th in the nation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/ranking?key=GENUSAMENSHOCKEYPOLL

Anyways, every time we chat I ask him about the potential he has to make it to the big show, and he replies...."there's a reason I play collegiate hockey (instead of junior a) and that was to earn a degree. I'm going to try and go for it and try my best at any tryout I can attend, but I'd be lying to you if I told you it was in my 5 year plan..."

If you son claims academics are overrated, I highly reccommend going for an OHL team or the like, but then again I also know some extremley talented players (two actually played with Tim Thomas, or "Timmy" is what they called him) and they are some of the biggest lowlife wash ups I've met.

I highly encourage you to pick up the book "So your son wants to play in the NHL" written by Dan Bylsma's (SP?) dad, Dan was a former LA King and now is head coach of the Penguins. Hockey (IMO) is by far the hardest sport to make it to pro,for the lowest pay.

24. SpecialK43

SpecialK43 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Kzoo, MI
    Full Name:
    K Russell
    I've seen that TV more times than I can count, and everytime I take a second look as if it could have possibly been photo shopped in. I'll have to make it down there sometime in the next few years to experience it for myself.

25. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    You forgot to show the whole article. Here is the important part.

Louisiana has 80 players in the NFL overall, which ties with Georgia for fifth in terms of total numbers. California (205) has the most natives in the NFL, followed by Texas (179), Florida (176) and Ohio (90).