No NBA Thread? | FerrariChat

No NBA Thread?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by PhilNotHill, May 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Does everybody despise the NBA as much as I do?

Overpaid thugs with no class and no smarts. Sure a few superstars carry all the other losers. Haven't watched an NBA game since Michael Jordan retired. Even saw him play a few times in person.

In my younger days went to see the LA Lakers who had Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor and Wilt Chamberlin. Can't remember who the 5th guy was.

Now the NBA resembles pro wrestling. Nobody I know watches it...even though we are in the playoffs.

I do like to watch the NCAA March Madness. It is a real sport IMVHO.

Rant over

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #2 BMW.SauberF1Team, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
    Sorry you feel that way, but I absolutely love the NBA. 1000x better than college basketball where the lack of talent is too much to bother watching (anything outside the Elite 8 for the most part).

There are good guys in the NBA along with the bad apples, but that's not surprising given the background a lot of them had. Almost every group will have some kind of normal distribution in sports, corporate world, etc. They just dress differently.

Having gone to UF, I enjoy following their progress in the league. They've done well so far in the playoffs, which had some wonderful series after what was thought to look terrible early on. Congrats to the following Gators for making the playoffs and putting up a good show!

David Lee - Golden State...defeated the Nuggets and Corey Brewer
    Al Horford - Hawks...lost to Pacers. :(
    Matt Bonner, winning with the Spurs
    Joakim Noah - nice game tonight and eliminated the Nets. :)
    Miker Miller and Udonis Haslem - both on the Heat. :)

NBA Playoffs are great!

Edit: How could I forget another good guy, Chandler Parsons. Put up a great series against OKC, but fell a little short. He has a bright future.

3. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I probably hate the NBA more than you.

4. maxemus

maxemus Karting

Apr 25, 2009
    Miami, FL.
    Full Name:
    Ernie
    Go Heat!!!!

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Good for you.
    Pursue your passion.

6. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I fell out of the NBA shortly after the Bulls era as well. I wouldn't go so far as to generalize NBA players as a whole as I believe there are some truly talented and even humble guys out there but I do get more enjoyment out of watching the NCAA tourny.

7. novachump

novachump Rookie

May 10, 2013
    getting back into nba basketball. really rootin for SA to win it all, want Duncan to get one more. they got absolutely WRECKED tonight though.

8. Kangiboy

Kangiboy Rookie

Jun 9, 2009
    They are paid what we ask for.
    If you don´t want them to be overpaid, then you are doing right at the moment: Don´t watch it, don´t buy their jerseys and don´t visit their games.

But what do you mean with no class and no smarts?

Come on..Only because they don´t read books or sit in an office and make excels or power point, doesn´t mean, that they are not smart.

At least, these players are doing their jobs: playing basketball.

I know lots of businessmen with inside-trading, fraud, guilty deeds and so on.

That´s not smart and no class!

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Excellent point ;)

10. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ...and the Spurs returned the favour by wrecking Miami last night :D

11. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    thugs codeword for black?

You should watch the Spurs then. They are team driven, they are about class... Danny Green gives credit to God. Parker, Ginobili and Splitter and a few from the bench are overseas players.

Duncan has been a rock.

As for "overpaid", what about CEOs who are a lot worse? This is supply and demand and there is big money for very little pool of talent that can do what they can do. CEOs I dunno...

Spurs just won game 5.. 1 more to go!

12. brainz

brainz Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I'm interested in how you came up with the "thug with no class and no smarts" part. From what I've seen the league has been going in the opposite direction where players are really into fashion and dress like nerds. If you actually watched the game you would see many of the athletes wearing those geeky eyeglasses with overalls and a tailored suit or something really fashionable. It's gotten so out of hand with the eyeglasses thing last year that it was annoying me!

It seems the 80's and 90's NBA had much tougher players who were rough around the edges. There's no modern day Charles Oakley in today's NBA.

When players give interviews they aren't cursing up a storm or talking down on their opponents. If anything it's the opposite where they're really boring with their generic answers.

Maybe you're comparing these guys to... I don't know, golfers? I don't think they're any different than other team sports including Football, Baseball, Hockey and Soccer.

Which players or teams have you been watching that make you feel they're thugs with no class and no smarts? I know it's easy to just see at athletes with tattoos who look nothing like you or me and call them thugs, but it's lazy and ignorant.

Which sports do you watch that makes NBA players seem like thugs in comparison? In Hockey they fight and people call them tough. In Baseball pitchers throw at batters' heads like cowards. In the NFL guys are getting killed going up the middle and who knows what goes on in the piles.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    40 years ago, if us kids played "NBA Rules" it was r.o.u.g.h. - What the Pros do softened up for a while and here we are watching an offshoot of the same "NBA Rules" that inspired some and discouraged other kids on my block 2 decades ago.

14. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same can be said about the NFL.....they have softened the game, and IMHO for no other reason than to add 2 additional regular season games to the current schedule. Don't buy the "Player Safety" BS, it's all about the Benjamins and nothing more