Tebow signed with New England | FerrariChat

Tebow signed with New England

Discussion in 'Sports' started by greg 19425, Jun 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    (from ESPN)

The New England Patriots will sign Tim Tebow, league sources told ESPN.
    The Patriots are signing Tebow, who is expected to participate in the team's mandatory minicamp Tuesday, as a quarterback, according to sources.
    If any team is equipped to handle the potential media circus that Tim Tebow will bring to New England, it certainly is the Patriots, writes Mike Reiss.
    The move reunites Tebow with Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who was the Broncos' head coach when Denver traded into the first round to draft the Heisman Trophy winner in 2010.
    Patriots head coach Bill Belichick often has spoken with admiration for Tebow's versatility, intelligence and character. Belichick covets what he has described as tough, smart, versatile football players.
    Last month, Yahoo! Sports cited an "organizational source" as saying Belichick disliked Tebow as a player and there was "no chance" of him landing in New England. Belichick dismissed that notion last week, telling ESPNBoston.com that the report was completely untrue.
    Ironically, Tebow's last NFL start came with the Broncos in a blowout playoff loss in Foxborough to Tom Brady and the Patriots following the 2011 season.
    Tebow, 25, was released by the New York Jets in late April following a disappointing season as a backup to Mark Sanchez.
    The Jets traded a pair of draft picks to Denver in the deal to acquire Tebow but failed to establish a consistent role in the offense for the versatile quarterback.

2. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    Well I guess they see potential and he can learn from one of the best and then take over in a few years as a seasoned bench warmer. (see steve young)

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Fantastic news. Cant argue with bellichicks view of players and tebow is too good to not be in the nfl.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Won't be turning on ESPN for at least 3 months...had enough Tebow mania each season he's been in the league (and this is coming from a Gator). I'm happy for him and wishes he does well, but I can't stand ESPN in their reporting...especially of him.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn, Tebow sure is ugly ain't he? I can't imagine what college would have let him play. He be so damn ugly that even the cheerleaders wouldn't kiss him. Now, what low rent college let him play ball?

Dale

6. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I understand your thought process but Tebow is not even remotely close to Steve Young's caliber

8. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    It's sad all the bashing Tebow gets. NFL players on steroids, beat their girlfriends/wives, take drugs, have kids without getting married, no problem. Tebow is truly a model for young kids, and everyone wants to get rid of him. I guess it's easier to be a loser than to do the right thing.
    And please don't tell me he's not a good player. He took his past team to the playoffs, wasn't used with the Jets. I really hope he comes into his own with the Patriots. Kids need more role models like him.

9. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    +Z

10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    No QB controversy, Tom Brady is unquestioned as the #1.

Likely no backup controversy. Tebow will probably not be competing for this in 2013 either.

This is better for Tebow than for the Patriots at this point. My ideal scenario sees him make the team, then work exclusively on improving his mechanics and then in a year or two you could see him improve. If Tiger Woods could completely change his swing and win tournaments again, Tebow could alter his throwing motion.

11. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    He doesn't have to be an NFL football player to be a role model, and being role model doesn't automatically entitle you to an NFL roster spot --> skill does, yet Tebow, as a QB, has none.

12. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Couldn't agree more

Also agree.

Precisely, and until that happens (or even if that happens) he stands no chance in the NFL.

13. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    From what I know of Brady, he is a very good role model, unlike so many in the league these days.

I have not really seen much of Tebow in action or followed all the details of his short career, but despite Ace's certainty that he is a bum, Belichick is no sweetheart and is not taking up a roster spot for nothing.

14. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I dont understand how people can think this. A qb needs to lead and inspire. Tebow does both and some pretty reputable qb coaches have repeatidy stated his mechanics are not bad.

15. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We in Washington have two superbowl titles, 22 and 26, with no name quartbacks, doug williams and mark rypien. Both were the superbowl mvp's. Both were **** without the team. If you have a great team, you can insert any mechanically sound qb and win.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

He's certainly a "polarizing" figure. "Love him or hate him" it seems.

Can't help thinking the Belichick has some weird and wonderful plans for him; Out wide? In the slot? The backfield?..... He may not have the best "mechanics" or the "strongest arm", but when it was working for him he didn't look too bad.

Used "right" he's a hell of a threat one way or another; Defenses have gotta be aware of where he is at the least.

Cheers,
    Ian

17. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Definitely didn't see this move coming. I think the comparison to Steve Young has some legitimacy. They have a fairly similar style of play, but Steve obviously has better pure passing mechanics. If Tebow can improve his passing, I see him being a Steve Young type player. We also know that Young went to a superior university as well. ;)

18. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    While Brady is one of the best QBs ever I don't like watching him play. He just stands in the pocket and executes.
    Sure it is very productive leading to several Super Bowl wins but it is mechanical and robotic which makes it boring to watch for me.

Watching Tebow at Denver was completely the opposite. You never knew what he was going to do.
    He could put his head down and bowl eight yards for a first down or scramble outside the pocket often covering both sides
    before throwing a completion. It was exciting to watch. The last time I was on the edge of my seat
    watching a football game is the time Tebow led the Broncos to the OT win over Pit.

There were an awful lot of people that were sure that Tebow wouldn't even get drafted. He went in the first round.

There were a lot of people that said he would never play a down. He led the Broncos to a winning season and a playoff win as the starting QB.

Now that he is on the Pats team, regardless of how much play time he gets, there is a very good chance he will get a Super Bowl ring.

There is an awful lot of people that judged him wrong :)

This video sure has a lot of exciting play for one season at Denver.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY081VQqMY0]Tim Tebow "It's Tebow Time" [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

19. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Just proves how good Brady has been, the pats don't have a running game and have had a revolving door of receivers not mention a shaky line yet Brady usually gets the job done.

Tebow's style makes NFL GM's nervous, they see injury not excitement. He does remind me of Flutie, the most underrated QB. I am sure they have had conversations about what his maturation will entail.

20. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Excatly correct, but like a previous post siad, with time he can improve his technique. My point was that there are other players in the league that are not very special players,
    are horrible examples of men, get paid millions in some cases, yet no one makes a big deal about them or asks for them to be dropped from teams etc... like they do to Tebow.

21. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    But the difference is those players don't get the hype (media and otherwise) that Tebow does, which is why people say "What's the big deal with this guy, he isn't something special". He gets the hype of the coming of the next Joe Montana yet he's on his 3rd different team in as many seasons.

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Do you remember Steve Young with the Bucs? He SUCKED. Steve Young said so himself, and said he would never have been an NFL QB had he not gone to the 49ers to learn under Walsh and Montana.

I watched an interview with Steve Young, and he was passionate that Tebow could be a good NFL QB. He said he needs a great coach and a great QB to mentor him.

Belichick isn't Walsh, but he's not chopped liver either. Can't argue with Brady - the guy is a stud. Couldn't have been a better spot for Tebow.

I met Tebow - didn't know much about him other than his college stuff. He's an outstanding person, immediately likable. I've become a fan of his, and I think what has happened to him is appalling, borderline collusion. I'm pulling for his success, glad he's out of that hole called the Jets.

23. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, and I also remember Young when he played in the USFL. This is still not comparing apples to apples because Young's mechanics were not the problem; his accuracy and decision making were the problem.

I love Tebow as a person, and I too am pulling for his success. I am just stating my opinion that I do not believe he is NFL QB material.

I suppose only time will tell.

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Understood - I'm more of the mindset that he can be. My brother is a licensed NFL agent, and while he's not representing big shots, he does have a few players in. We speak a lot about the process, and we're both convinced that while using statistical models is shown to work, it's not everything.

Miles Austin - who graduated from Monmouth University (he was there when I received my Master's from the school) - wasn't even drafted. He was a nobody to the scouts, but turned into a Pro Bowl receiver. What did the scouts miss?

I'll tell you what they missed - they look at the stats. How fast can they run the 40? Wonderlic tests? That doesn't tell you anything about the heart of the player - nothing. Jerry Rice had an extremely slow 40 when he was coming out of college (4.71) - he's the greatest receiver of all time.

Tebow might have mechanical issues. So did Jim Plunkett, Brett Favre, Bernie Kosar, Billy Kilmer, etc. That's doesn't mean he can't play. He can't play because no one believes in him. Denver didn't believe in him. The Jets didn't believe in him. Maybe this environment is different.

Slightly different view. Some say the greatest NBA player of all time was Bill Russell. Here's a player that was maybe 6'9" in the era of Wilt and Kareem, and averaged 15.1 ppg in his career. You know why he's considered the greatest? He was a winner. 11 NBA championships, 2 NCAA championships, and an Olympic gold medal winner.

I see Tebow like Russell...he's a WINNER. He WON in Denver and he did it with a flair for the dramatic. If you believe in that guy, and you tailor an offense around him, there's no doubt in my mind he would win.

So many people were ripping him coming out - "no one plays the option in the NFL" - yet he did it in Denver. Then we have RGIII and now Colin Kaepernick...WTF??? They are READ OPTION QBs!!! I'd argue Tebow is BETTER than them at that...yet he can't win???

It's not about mechanics...the guy got a raw deal from day one. If no one thinks you can succeed - you won't. I mentioned Miles Austin and Jerry Rice - if any team thought Jerry Rice is too slow, and he never got drafted...wouldn't that have been the mistake of the century??

Give this guy a chance, he'll succeed.

25. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I agree redfabri :)

It appears that everyone wants or expects him to play like Brady. Hand off, sit in the pocket, throw and if nobody is immediately open throw it away. If the defense gets there just stand still and let the refs blow the whistle before you have to go to the ground. Sure that way wins Super Bowls but it doesn't necessarily mean it is the only way.

That is not Tebow's style or strength. He is more like a fullback that can throw passes while leading the team as the QB. A team that finds a way to feature and maximize those strengths would get the most out of him and it could be in a winning way with the right players around him.

A QB that can pound out 8 yard runs or pass changes the way a defense plays and in a way is like adding an extra offensive player they have to defend against. Create the right plays for Tebow and the defense will have their hands full. Of course Tebow will need to be able to read the defense and react appropriately. That skill comes with preparation and experience.

Its understandable GMs don't want their QBs touched but Tebow is best when you just let him go. The more they tie him up the more greatness they take away. The key is to capitalize on his strengths not turn them into a weakness. He needs an organization that is willing to think outside the box and take the risk.

I really thought the Jags would've picked him up a long time ago. He would've sold out the home games and energized the city. I saw a piece about the Jags owner on 60 minutes. They showed how he like to mix with tailgating fans before games and seemed like a guy who was behind the whole experience of an NFL game and not just about the bottom line. A guy that would be happy with the season Tebow had in Denver. A season that didn't go all the way but sold all the seats and every fan was happy. It didn't happen.

I'm glad the Pats picked up Tebow and I hope they find a way to use him. I really wish he would have got another full season at Denver so we could see if he progressed. That would've been much more telling as to his abilities as a QB than playing 3rd string to Brady.