labron vs bird | FerrariChat

labron vs bird

Discussion in 'Sports' started by 95spiderman, Jun 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    #1 95spiderman, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    i love labron. despite that, he suffers in comparison to jordan who was the best ever. jordan was as good at bball as ferrari is with sports cars, aristotle was at philosophy, einstein at physics, etc. bron may get to that level if he keeps winning and shooting better but hes not there now

what i want to know is how labron compares to the all time greatest small foward, larry bird. they have very similar stats with bird being better shooter and labron better defender. i dont know who i would pick.

who does fcat take - bird or labron

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    As the first Big Point Guard, capable of not just bringing the ball downcourt, but shooting from deep back when there was no 3-pointer, and pulling in rebounds to make triple-doubles galore, Oscar Robertson would be a formidable Point or Power Forward now.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    big o is good but still as a guard not forward. as far as dr j im huge nets fan but hes more like a carmello anthony. volume scorer, not complete enough

its bird or labron. who do you choose?

im going with bird for now but in few yrs will probably be labron

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bird, hands down.

Bird didn't jump ship.

6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I really don't think Bird should be compared to LeBron. I think the TOPS is: MJ, LeBron and Kobe. Bird is GREAT, but not as great as those 3.

7. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would put Kobe ahead of Lebron

8. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    You opening up another can of worms here, we had this discussion a few years ago.

As much as (for whatever reason) I don't 'like' LeBron, I think he is obviously a much better physical specimen than MJ, LB, Kobe, Magic, and anyone else you can throw in there.

Now, who is better offensively?

Who is better defensively?

Who is better in the locker room/team player?

All three of those questions probably have different answers.

Let's take all the great players you can name and put them on a .500 team with a bunch of no-name players and see which guy elevates the team more, makes the guys around him better, and that is probably going to be MJ.

TODAY, of all the players in the league, I'd have to take LeBron.

But arguing over 'who is the best all-time' is like arguing over who is the best 'all-time' F1 driver, different eras, circuits, tires, chassis, motors make arguing that pointless as well.

9. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    But my picks

Magic
    Bird /Kobe
    MJ
    Dr. J
    Last and for good reason Lebron.

10. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lebron has had the tendency (in the past at least, but he is slowly changing that) to disappear at the end of games, when the money is on line.

Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Bird, Dr. J would thrive in that moment and rise to the occasion......

11. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Name some players that played long before every game was on TV....

Nate Archibald, Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, David Thompson, Pistol Pete Maravich, George Gervin, Bill Russell, John Havlicek, Elvin Hayes, Rick Barry, Willis Reed, Wilt Chamberlain, Walt Frazier, Spencer Heywood....... a lot of guys would do well (in their prime) against today's players, the only difference might be conditioning. Maybe.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just don't get the feeling Lebron has the heart like past greats.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I always find these comparisons funny. So here's my take: Lebron is a physical freak of nature. Like many physical freaks, he relies more on his athleticism than his skills. In many ways, he reminds of an early Olajuwon before Olajuwon learned to pass.

Da Bird grew up in a different era where you actually learned how to play the game. When I played basketball in high school in the late '60s in Illinois, if you took more than two steps before passing the ball, you'd end up running wind sprints for the rest of your life. The coach would come completely unglued.

What this means is it is impossible to compare the two. Both were physical freaks, but the Bird knew how to play the game. Lebron still needs to learn the game.

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Bill Russell was a great all-around player. Defensively as well as offensively. He would be competitive today but perhaps not a superstar.

Wilt Chamberlain was the incredible physical specimen who also could play at both ends. His 100 point game will never be repeated IMO.

Oscar Robertson averaged a triple-double for an entire season in 1961. Averaged. Think about that today, I don't know if it is possible.

MJ elevated the players around him, but also was the best player on the court for virtually his entire career. Perhaps the G.O.A.T. A strong case could be made for him.

People forget Kareem. I always was a fan of his over Magic or Bird. His Skyhook could not be defended. If another big man could perfect it for themselves today, they would win a scoring title.

Notice I didn't mention Lebron (or Kobe) among these greats. Time will tell if they are great enough, for long enough, to be included. Kobe is close. Lebron needs another several years and 2-3 titles before he deserves to be mentioned.