switch pitcher | FerrariChat

switch pitcher

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rob lay, Jul 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    for some reason I started thinking last night at dinner if there were any switch pitchers. there are many ambidextrous people and it seems like it would be a big advantage for pitchers. I never heard of one though. just did a search. there were a couple over a century ago and one pitched an inning in majors back in 1995. Currently there is a minor league switch pitcher, but he doesn't seem to be making it.

Pat Venditte was all-American out of Creighton, rookie season in minors seemed to be going well with a 0.8 ERA. ESPN even did an article few years ago, but he has bounced around the minor minors since and doesn't seem to be headed towards majors.

Rick Reilly: Switch-pitcher Pat Venditte is living history - ESPN The Magazine

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Interesting, somewhere I thought there was a rule against that, but I guess I am wrong.

Can he switch during an active count or only when a batter changes?

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    from what I read they had to make a new rule, something along lines he has to tell batter upfront which arm he's using, but each better he can pick.

personally I think if he's good enough to pitch with both hands he should be able to pick each pitch and not tell the batter. why should the batter get a handicap because the pitcher has more skill. pitchers don't have to tell batters which pitch they're throwing.

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    From a practicality standpoint, an ambidextrous pitcher would have to have an ambidextrous glove, which would be challenging.... Also the batter should be able to tell which side a pitch is coming from based on being opposite of the hand swearing a fielding glove....

Edit... I see the glove is addressed in the article...

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #5 sherpa23, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    There were two guys back in the 90's whose names escape me. One was with the Red Sox ( greg harris?) and one with the Indians, I think. The problem they said was that the off arm didn't quite have the velocity, although they were accurate into the high 80's. In the big leagues, a high 80's fastball is put into the stands pretty regularly.

6. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I watched Venditte in HS ball and a few CU games here, and while he is a decent pitcher, he doesn't have the constant velocity you need in the majors.
    There are a ton of guys that are 'legend' in HS and college, and NEVER make it to the big leagues - in all kinds of sports.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so true, I was never a legend at anything. :D I was maybe youngest to hit over 300 in late 80's on golf team, but didn't matter as I was still 6-8th man on HS team. :D I also went to several big college swim camps and had Gary Kemph at Kansas and the famous Eddie Reese at Texas say I had one of the prettiest breaststrokes they had ever seen, but obviously that didn't translate into Division I competitive times. :D can you be famous for not being famous? ;)

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I pitched 100 + games, could never get the left to speed in goofin' time, just a knuckleball.

That said, can only bowl lefty, as strong shoulder is gone & it just destroys my back.

Batted left a few times, but only against predominantly Hispanic teams, making sure to cross myself, but only when batting lefty & only after I'd batted right without sign of the cross.

via rubber ducky

9. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I remember this guy with the Sox but I think it was more of a 'legend' than it being actually useful.....kind of like Matsuzaka's 'gyro ball', you never heard about that bs after they signed him-it's a tailing fastball that they couldn't him in Japan-and they could hit it here!