The wussification of baseball | FerrariChat

The wussification of baseball

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheMayor, Dec 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I disagree. I watch a lot of baseball, and honestly think the collision at home plate and resulting concussions do very little for the game.

To me, baseball is a game of strategy and grace. The crash at home plate doesn't (in my opinion) do anything for the game except generate dramatic photographs. Many of the great catchers, managers, and players of the modern era also agree that home plate collisions should go.

Stepping on the plate by the catcher, just like the other bases, should be the play. I do not support the idea of a "neighborhood" out, however.

3. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    What you've described at other bases can only occur when there is a force out, and even then the base runner is allowed to take out the fielder. Then rule change for home plate collisions only applies when the force out is not in play. If the force out is in play at home, a collision with the catcher is considered interference if it's not the third out any there are other base runners.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I don't think the onus should be on catchers -they're not the ones doing the tackling. Baserunners are coming in like bunker busters and *that* is what has to stop. Slide or glide but don't collide.

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Having played a little bit of baseball in my day, I have witnessed and been involved in numerous collisions at the plate. More often then not it is the runner that comes away with the worst of it. Most plays at the plate the catcher has enough time to brace himself. That along with along with all the gear gives him a bit of an advantage. Even in head to head collisions the runner might knock the catcher over, but the catcher generally comes away in better shape. I'm not sure how they are going to enforce this rule, my feeling is that we will have many playas disputed because of the bang bang of the play. It will be much like helmet to helmet in the NFL. I'm always in support of eliminating injuries, but try to imagine a tie game in the bottom of the 9th with the winning run flying around the bases and then just stopping to get tagged at the plate.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Great post. What catcher isn't going to block home plate? Usually the catcher is one of the toughest players on the field, and that guy is NOT going to step aside when a runner is barrelling at him, bottom of the 9th, big game.

Sorry, this is a stupid rule.

7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agreed. Many more guys get hurt when they get taken out during a doubleplay at 2nd base. This is just the MLB trying to get out in front of the concussion issue.

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    mlb is looking at long term liability issuses, ala nfl lawsuits.

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    also, the real wussification came when they outlawed sharpening of metal cleats.
    :)

10. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Exactly!

11. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Title of this post could have easily been the wussification of all sports, and all of society for that matter. AKA the feminization of men.

12. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    So what happens when a runner is rounding 3rd and the ball is coming in hot to the plate? The catcher has to concede the base? Or the runner is automatically out?

13. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's the point. There will be so many contested calls because of this. They might require the runner to slide, which again gives the advantage to the catcher. That's the way they play it in amateur baseball leagues.

14. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    They still play baseball?
    I thought steroids killed it?
    Is this the game where they 'play' for three hours, but only have a legitimate SEVEN MINUTES of actual 'action'?

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    All sports. Not just baseball. God forbid someone should get hurt playing a sport.

Having the catcher block a runner a home plate is one of the (few) exciting things that happen in baseball. Of course, we could watch a tiddily-winks contest or curling...nobody gets hurt there. ;)

What's next? Gonna stop the runner from taking out the infielder on second base to avoid a double play?

Baseball viewership will continue to fall further into the toilet.

16. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    That is exactly what the 'pros' are asking as well....

I think I will stick to football - Australian Rules Football...