2014 Winter Olympics | FerrariChat

2014 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports' started by PhilNotHill, Jan 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Jamaican bobsleigh team is back! First time since 2002.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Not sure if its just me, but the winter Olympics are watchable, while the summer Olympics are not.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    You don't like the 850,000 swimming events of the summer olympics? What about the 550,000 gymnastics events?

I agree. Outside of the 100m and 200m dash, I couldn't care less. I'm from FL and find the winter sports more entertaining and the scenery looks much much nicer. :) Plus the bobsleighs look like a lot of fun!

5. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Really excited about the Winter Olympics.

6. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Likewise. Just hope all goes safely for the athletes in Russia.

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Streaming the women's gold-medal hockey game versus Canada. That is a team that sells out to protect the net. Half of Canada's attempts never reach the goal because the players are so adept at blocking with their sticks, bodies, etc. They were down 2 during one power play and Canada never could get to the goalie.

Currently up 2-0 in the 3rd period

8. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    US Hockey has been a disappointment.

US Alpine Skiing has been a disappointment, with the exception of Ligety and Shiffrin's golds.

US Speedskating has been a debacle.

US Figure Skating and Nordic Skiing mostly wallowed, too.

It makes me wonder what's wrong with our programs? I know we cannot always win, but, historically, we've done better. And, there have been some good surprises (US Bobsledding), so all isn't wrong.

I don't want to blame officiating or judging, but I also think we got some poor calls and low scores. Politics? Don't know, and I hope not. Each individual is a competitor, regardless of the country they represent. They've all worked impossibly hard to get there, and they shouldn't be cheated in any way.

CW

9. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I think younger Americans would rather sit in front of a video game..then actually do the work...
    On the other hand, many of the winners live and train in the US..but would rather compete for another country when offered the choice....
    There does appear to be something broken...and thats on the professional athlete and amateur level....is this a generation issue? millennials?

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    The point has definitely been argued that our best athletes go into other, mainstream American sports. I would agree with that, and that means that we may not be as proficient in what are considered alternative sports.

CW

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    After today's loss to Finland in Men's Hockey, I am baffled. The US team never even showed up! An embarrassing loss for them.

Congrats to Finland on the win.

CW

12. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    US is fourth in total medals with 27...Russia first with 29...so far. Actually second but alot of bronze vs silver and gold.

Medals - Sochi 2014 Olympics

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Unreal comeback by the Canadian Women's Hockey team over the US. Down 2-0 with 5 minutes to go....

14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Team is probably still upset they lost to Canada 1-0, hence a major letdown

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Nordic skiing has always been a weak area for the U.S., so no real disappointment there. The big debacle was in speedskating, though the way the Dutch have been skating, I don't think that anyone was going to beat them.

As for the men's hockey, I have no problem with the 1-0 loss to Canada. The 5-0 loss to Finland, however, was a disgrace and unacceptable. Just because of the Canada game doesn't give them the license to not show up today. You've come 5000 miles; you at least ought to try for a medal instead of going home empty-handed. I'd fire all the coaches and tell all the players that they will not be invited back in 2018 - every one of them.

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    These guys are professionals, first and foremost. The sign of a professional is someone who can shrug off a loss, move forward and not permit a tough loss to ruin the remainder.

They're also representing the country. As Herb Brooks said, "The name on the front is more important than the name on the back."

At the end of the day, this is a game. And, I don't really care who wins or loses. What's more important is leaving it all on the ice (and to see a good game). They didn't, and that's disappointing. However, there will be other games and opportunities.

CW

17. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Absolutely loved all of it fantastic job, well done Russia.

18. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    It's over BUT...

you can see everything again on Comcast ON DEMAND. :D