"Favorite" Boxing Matches of the 80's | FerrariChat

"Favorite" Boxing Matches of the 80's

Discussion in 'Sports' started by ag512bbi, Aug 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm bored right now "obviously"
    List your 15 "FAVORITE" boxing matches of the 80's.
    Not in any specific order:
    I could keep going. It's not easy to pick only 15.
    Do as many as you'd like.

Sugar Ray Leonard KO14 Thomas Hearns 1981
    Sugar Ray Leonard W12 Marvelous Marvin Hagler 1987
    Sugar Ray Leonard TKO8 Duran II 1980
    Aaron Pryor KO14 Alexis Arguello 1982
    Larry Holmes TKO12 Gerry Cooney 1982
    Marvelous Marvin Hagler KO3 Thomas Hearns 1985
    Thomas Hearns KO2 Pipino Cuevas 1980
    Wilfredo Gomez KO14 Lupe Pintor 1982
    Marvelous Marvin Hagler KO11 John Mugabi 1986
    Evander Holyfield W15 Dwight Muhammad Qawi 1986
    Salvador Sanchez KO15 Azumah Nelson 1982
    Salvador Sanchez KO8 Wilfredo Gomez 1981
    Azumah Nelson KO 11 Wilfredo Gomez 1984
    Alexis Arguello KO14 Ray Mancini 1981
    Livingstone Bramble KO 14 Ray Mancini 1984

Man that wasn't easy to list just 15!!!

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Some great fights there - many I remember! The names are legendary now.

Spinks / Mustafa Muhammed was a good fight, I was always a Michael Spinks fan. Hagler was my main man, he got robbed in the Leonard fight.

You don't have Duran / Leonard I, I never like Sugar Ray, so I was happy with that win.

Would be interested in some from the '90s, especially the middle / super middles Benn, Jackson, McClellan, etc.

3. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    That's an excellent list, but boy are there a ton of them. IF only boxing could be as good as it was back then. Free fights on a Saturday afternoon were better than the best PPV today.

I remember:

Bobby Chacon vs. Cornelius Boza Edwards...Chacon makes the most improbable come back with the "fright" doctor" Freddie Pacheco screaming for a stoppage.

Roberto Duran vs. Davy Moore... A "washed up" Duran makes rising star Moore look like a kid and ravages him.

Donald Curry vs. Lloyd Honegan.... A major shocker. Honegan stops Curry.

Ray Mancini vs. Duk Koo Kim.... Kim dies after a brutal slug fest.

Larry Holmes vs. Tim Witherspoon..... Holmes looses the fight, and almost gets knocked out, but wins the decision.

Hearns vs. Duran......Who could forget that Hearns right hand that felled Duran like a tree, face first.

Donald Curry vs. Milt McCrory...This was a big welterweight hyped fight. Curry KO'ed McCrory without much trouble though.

All of Sean O'Grady's fights.....Guaranteed action, and plenty of blood. A real Irish throw back.

Some of these might have edged into the 90's, still a good era.

Thanks for making me remember those. It reminds of how much boxing SUCK's today. Why? Because fighters have no heart, and the referee guarantees they'll be no dramatic comeback, which many great fights had.

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    See I'm so opposite. I don't like the Leonard vs Duran I. Leonard was/is my favorite boxer. So, yes, I feel he did outbox Hagler in '87.
    Spinks was another GREAT fighter and I did enjoy MANY of his fights.

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I was looking forward to your response and choices. I respect your knowledge with boxing. You always have a way with words.
    I love those Chacon fights. I do get confused with all the I,II,III & IV's and the wife committing suicide before the fight, the Limons, Edwards fights. Just too many good fights!

I was afraid of Donald Curry, I thought Leonard was eventually gonna fight him and I was afraid that was a dangerous fight for Leonard. Curry came and went quick. But Did love the wars with Marlon Starling.

Poor Davey Moore. Tragic!

6. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Yes, thanks. I love looking back on that era. I also thought Leonard beat Hagler. There's only a few of us. That Mugabi fight was REALLY physical and took something out of Hagler. He was old and slow about a year later when Leonard got him.