NFL injuries | FerrariChat

NFL injuries

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Whisky, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Is it just me, or has the rate of major injuries skyrocketed?

When I was growing up ('70's) I never heard of anyone tearing an ACL or MCL in practice, and very few in actual games.
    It just doesn't make a lotta sense to me, the game is faster and stronger, but so is the workout regimen, guys are in better 'shape', but I guess that doesn't translate to 'less injuries'.

Just seems odd to me.

2. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Yeah funny. In the 70's they had less padding, and you could hit a guy as hard as you wanted anywhere. Quarterbacks included. No comfortable domes to play in either. In addition, players stayed in the WHOLE game. I think mental and physical toughness might be part of the problem. Get paid a ton whether they play or not.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Injuries are on the rise, no question

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The speed of the game has also increased.

5. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    athletes are wound so tight physically...absolute at max peak performance.. like racing engines, one small hiccup and somethings gonn give!!!

6. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I don't know... I think there is just a lot more attention now with fantasy football, players with very large contracts, all the concussion awareness stuff the NFL is doing, etc. Also used to be you just read what was in the newspaper, or what they told you at the game over the speaker, and most people didn't care that much to notice. Now you can get 24/7 updates sent to your phone, along with sportscenter on TV and thousands of websites giving endless commentary and coverage. Everyone has a fantasy team, and everyone is trying to be a bigger superfan than the next guy.

Also back in the day the athletes simply weren't as good, didn't have million dollar contracts riding on their performance and big plays, etc. They couldn't afford to get busted up because then they wouldn't be able to work their day job.

7. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    With all the new rules against concussions... guys are hitting lower.

Lower hits = more ACL/MCL tears

No matter how big of a guy you are, your knees are fragile if they get hit at the wrong angle.

8. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Surprised anyone gets hurt with all the protection they wear - still awesome game.

9. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What protection?

10. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Saw my first national commercial by a law firm requesting business for the concussion injury pay outs last night.

11. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Shoulder padding, helmets, thigh padding etc, - listen I wasn't criticising far from it, when we are lucky enough to see a game in the Uk it's an awesome spectacle. But we are used to the rawness of Rugby Union/League - longer playing periods and just as brutal.

12. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Watched parts of a couple preseason games. After the first 10 flags for illegal contact, illegal hands to the face, etc, etc. I knew I wasn't watching football anymore. Just like Boxing, if you grew up watching the good stuff, the game today just doesn't cut it anymore. Too much emphasis on participant safety. AKA fear of lawsuits.

13. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The game isn't what it used to be.

Do you recall at one point when a receiver was going over the middle and would get pummeled by the safety, and if he "short armed" it and dropped it the commentators would say "you have to make that catch because it's gonna hurt whether you catch it or drop it" (implying the defence had the right to drill the receiver) . Now this same play is called "illegal hit on a defenseless receiver ", and the defense has to let the receiver catch the ball first then hit him.

I've seen horrible calls on the defense when a player loses the ball after the catch due to the hit. If the ball doesn't become dislodged, then I would bet my life that there is no penalty on that play.

Ronnie Lott would not be allowed to play in today's NFL.

14. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Exactly what I'm talking about. I refuse to go along with it.

15. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    This. It's much more than it used to be. Same could be said for hockey where goalies wore no helmets at one point.

16. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Are humans morphing into faster, stronger, bigger, or is it PED's saying yes but the body says no? I'll lean toward the later.

17. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Add Sam Bradford to the torn ACL list

18. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Speed, size, strength have all increased massively in the last generation. A guy like Lawrence Taylor would be lucky to make the team today. In his day he was dominant, but wouldn't even start on many teams these days.

The money is so big, and pressure to play so high that many go through seasons with something wrong and they play through it until more severe injury forces them to sit out. Nagging minor injuries are compounded to where in totality many of them are a wreck by the end of their careers.

IMO Bradford might have played his last game as a Ram, and maybe as a starter for that matter...

19. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    You didn't mention skill. You mention Lawrence Taylor, but there will never be another one like him. The game and players are NOT better. I still say they're doped to get that way.

20. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree