Anyone surf here? | FerrariChat

Anyone surf here?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by 360Tom, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just wanted to let you know, if your like me, you pop on the iPad with morning coffee. You might enjoy the swell out here on the west coast right now. Newport's wedge is 20-25 ft with occasional 30 footers. Pretty entertaining to watch if you surf.
    You can watch it on surfline, I'd imagine youtube might have it live too.

2. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    #2 chipbiii, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Ah, those days. Used to live in Hawaii for five years and during that time, when I wasn't in the water, I got see to on a fairly regular basis Jerry Lopez, Barry Kanaiaupuni, Reno Abellira, James Jones, Jeff Hakman, Rory Russell, etc. (Laird Hamilton was just a kid). I'll never forget the morning that my brother and I filmed the 1974 Smirnoff Surfing contest at Waimea in 40+ surf. Unfreaking believable, Reno Abellira ended up winning, just edging out Jeff Hakman, as I recall. I got one of my favorite boards from their Lightning Bolt Surf Shop, a 7'6" single fin. Like a moron, after I moved back to South Carolina, I sold the darn thing. What it would be worth today would make me cry.

These days it's only the longboard or scuba diving, but I'll never forget those earlier days, which of course, I took for granted.

Wish there was more surfing available on TV. Enjoy each and every ride.

3. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Those boards are worth some money now. The brand lightening bolt has been revived, but it's only clothing now. You witnessed surfing history at its finest. Those were the days of the legends.
    Aspworldtour usually allows you to watch the event heat by heat. You can stream it to your tv as well. Not much in the form of surfing on tv lately.

There is nothing more relaxing than being out in the water, cashing a few waves.
    I was out yesterday down in hb/Newport border surfing yesterday. It was an amazing day out with little crowds. Nice head high waves.
    If your ever out in Cali and want to hit some waves, shoot me a message, I've got plenty of extra boards.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Sold 'em all at profit ;) & moved way inland. Along with others, had a few old;
    Surfboards Hawaii (2)
    Lightning Bolt (2) (1 was only shorty - hassle)
    Jacobs
    Ernie Tanaka
    Jack's of HB - Gave it to a Bud.
    Others were bought low, fixed, sold high.

Frequented;
    SB, 'bu, Old Man's.

Easiest day was at Pismo, of all places.

Some fins were just massive - on the heaviest longboards. Some old longboards were like riding Cadillacs. 2 New Gen Tri-fins were light and easier in every sense, but for the life of me, can't remember brands. That speaks lots for the oldies.

Wait 'til Big Tex pipes in . . .

5. --cresko--

--cresko-- Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Canada
    On the West Coast as well here (Vancouver). No swells here, but I hear the island right now is going off. Usually hit Kauai once a year.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Surfed very occasionally but did a lot of bodyboarding when I lived in the Caribbean.

Miss it daily.

I sometimes curse my love for cars and racing because if it wasn't for that I'd still live in the caribbean and almost certainly never leave.

7. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Surfed about 20 times in the last month being summer and xmas.
    Have a property near Boomerang beach, NSW, Australia.
    Being 3 hours north of Sydney, not as crowded or as much agro.
    Such a great thing to do. It is a beautiful day today...wish I was out the back right now!

8. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    #8 chipbiii, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Hey gang. Speaking of primo Australian surfers, I just watched the 2011 surf film, "A Deeper Shade of Blue." It's a great historical account of the spirit of surfing with lots of amazing performances, especially the segment of Derek Hynd, who modifies several boards of varying lengths, all FINLESS. The spinner and 360 maneuvers he pulls off on different waves is just astonishing - I've never really seen anything like what he is doing. Sorry I don't yet have the technical expertise to include the segment here, but anyway, enjoy it if you get a chance.