D1 College Hockey | FerrariChat

D1 College Hockey

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The extractor, Oct 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The extractor

The extractor Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Deerfield BeachFlorida
    Full Name:
    Dr. Joe
    My kid is a sophmore in High School ( North Broward Prep) and he is coached by Thomas Voukoun and Peter Worrell...... He is a Defensmen and plays Ice Hockey for the U-16 AA team, the High School team and his NJPHL ( National Junior Prospects Hockey League ) team..... Next year we want to look at Jr hockey programs and eventually D1 college programs.... Anyone here have any "connections" to either Jr teams or D1 colleges?????
    Thank-you

2. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Any chance he can make an AHL/OHL or some league in that caliber vs NCAA?

3. The extractor

The extractor Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Deerfield BeachFlorida
    Full Name:
    Dr. Joe
    Possible.... He will be scouted over the summer by an advisory group. Not an agency due to regulations with NCAA. BUT, education is number one here for sure...If he signs with a team in any of those leagues, he will lose any chance of NCAA play.

4. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    First, I have no connections. But have a lifetime of experience with ice hockey.

I trust you post here with (already) a thought or an expectation(s) of where your son & player is destined for... so simply my two cents here.

I would encourage you and your son to look at the USA Hockey Development Program in Ann Arbor, MI.

Yea, you will lose your son (to hockey!). But these folks know what they are doing. He would finish high school at one of three Ann Arbor High Schools/ or nearby depending where is he billeted, while training, learning, and preparing for Division I collegiate play. Also super place to develop US Olympic talent.

We are Plymouth Whaler's fans (OHL Junior A) which is one freeway exit east of us.

BTW, if he is good kid and you want to send him north in a P Carrera GT or say an F430 Scud, we'd even billet him for you!

5. The extractor

The extractor Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Deerfield BeachFlorida
    Full Name:
    Dr. Joe
    Sounds like a very nice plan. YES, He is a great kid off the ice..... On the ice though, he is an aggresive dude... Not afraid to hit, be hit or get into "scuffles"..... We will look into that program and for sure would contact you for billet information.
    Not sure if I am allowed to put my email address here for futher contact. But you can go to my web site and get me that way..... Childrensdentalplace.com Thx for the info

6. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Keep in mind that he doesn't have to play D1 to get a scholarship. There are plenty of smaller schools that have scholarship programs. If the goal is to play professionally after college then it has to be D1 for exposure.

7. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Doc Joe, another possible angle is to PG at, say, a northeast top tier prep school.

Final 2013-14 Prep School Power Rankings - New England Hockey Journal

He'll get seen and the experience/education/contacts will certainly help him further develop as a young man.

Good luck

8. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    This is true but that ohl/ahl would provide a better chance at moving higher. NCAA is good for education but will lessen the chance of pro and add complex contract stuff.

9. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    No matter where he plays he will be seen, and if he is any good at all several 'scouts/recruiters' will notice.

10. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    This is true BUT I can almost promise you that junior leagues get priority over NCAA. A good/great player will get noticed for sure regardless. But from what I have heard, hockey specifically, is that a good JR player would be the same level as a great NCAA player.

So the question is do you want a funded education OR do you really think he can go further (NHL)?

11. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Sorry for pulling up a old thread but I had to post. To stay on topic, first I strongly recommend he play in the NAHL and hopefully the USHL. The scouts and colleges will find him. My son played a year in the BCHL after graduating from HS. Fantastic experience but this year in the USHL has been the highlight of his career.
    Up until this week

Bloomington Thunder | GOBER AT DALLAS STARS CAMP | Pointstreak Sites