College Football 2015 | FerrariChat

College Football 2015

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GrigioGuy, Dec 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Looking forward into 2015, I can't say I'm too enthused about the either of my college teams.

University of North Texas has Iowa and Tennessee in their schedule, but also scheduled the mighty Portland State Vikings. Hurrah. The rest is the C-USA teams, which really aren't what they used to be.

Texas A&M will need a lot of work on the D to be competitive, and I don't expect them to be more than a mid-level contender.

It will be interesting to see what the Big 12 does to fix the lack of Championship game that hurt them this year. BYU and Navy to the big 12?

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I can't think of a year where there is less excitement about college football. I've talked about it to several friends. Maybe it's because we're all Floridians and none of the teams here are highly ranked (except FSU at #10). But, I listen to ESPN radio in the car and they haven't promoted the season like in the past. Maybe the playoffs changed the dynamics. It's felt for a few years like the early part of the season is less important than mid season and beyond.

Regardless, this is my favorite time of year. I love going to the games & tailgating. When I can't go I love watching them on TV. I think it will be a fun season and can't wait for kickoff!

Regarding the Gators, I'm happy with the new coach and the shift to an offensively-focused team. I think McElwain was a good hire and he knows what he's doing. He hired some great coaches. I still can't believe he got Randy Shannon who is one of the best recruiters out there. Muschamp left him with a pretty bare cupboard on the offense and he's filled a lot of holes with freshmen and transfers. The D looks really solid so far. If we get 8 wins I think he can build on that.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Pat Dooley of the Gainesville Sun spoke before the Atlanta Gator Club yesterday and said that he thinks that a 7-win season is reasonable, but that even a 10-win season is remotely possible if everything falls right. (He noted that with a few breaks, last year's team could have won 10.) I think that the Gators will be ranked at season's end, but it might only be at 25th! (Right now, if you extrapolate the rankings through the "also receiving votes" category, they're 48th!)

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Oh, yeah, Kirk Herbstreit of ESPN has a unique list of the four teams he thinks will make the playoffs: Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma and Arizona State. Three of those teams aren't even ranked in the top 10 at present. Talk about going out on a limb.....

6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Jim all the Bull Gators I know are saying the same thing as Dooley. But they also say 8 wins is the bar. That or better is good, 7 or less and it'll be awhile. I heard the new IPF is awesome. I haven't bought tickets this year but if I can I will hit a few games. I miss my season tickets. Almost 20 years in the north end zone chairbacks behind the band.

7. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Better that than picking the same, old, tired teams EVERY year, year-after-year.

Alabama, Oregon, Notre Dame, now Ohio State, and then the usual USC Oklahoma Texas Florida Florida State Georgia Stanford Wisconsin Michigan bandwagon.

I will be mildly surprised if Nebraska has a winning record.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The way Georgia Tech runs the football these days, they should shelve the "Ramblin' Wreck" Model A, find an alumnus who owns a vintage semi-tractor truck, paint it in Tech colors, and call it the "Rumblin' Wreck"! :D

9. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I think it's because EVERYONE is mailing it in for Ohio State, nobody else seems to matter,
    and the parity amongst everyone else makes it 'boring'?
    Some folks said TCU was a playoff team, I did not see that last night.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, he's wrong already.....

11. bennett

bennett Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    CHARLOTTE, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    Where's Dr. Tommy?

Frank?

Frank?

FRAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKK!?!?!?!?!

Gotta admit, I'm a little timid about the Ole Miss @ BAMA matchup. Should be a good game, but won't be easy for either. I'm calling a low-scoring affair.

Hoping Frank's Tigers beat the Barners handily in Death Valley.

Feels like this is the first REAL week of college football.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The classic case of the Irresistible Force against the Immovable Object!

13. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Nice and lucky performance by Chad Kelly of Ole Miss. What do suppose Dabo Swinney of Clemson is thinking this morning, since he dismissed him from the team a couple of years ago?

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I was there. Worst/best football game I've seen in a while. I finally gave it up w/ 6 minutes left and departed the stadium.

15. bennett

bennett Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    CHARLOTTE, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    Still looking at at least two more losses for BAMA(UGA and either A&M or LSU, likely), not surprised.

One thing I hate about that loss more than anything is the playcalling. BAMA had no business being in the game late, but they were as Ole Miss's defense was gassing and BAMA was building momentum.

Nevermind the lucky plays, because they happen. But how, with 3 minutes left and a timeout in your pocket, from the 45-yard line, and the Ole Miss defense clearly running on fumes, do you NOT run Derrick Henry? He's a beast, we know this, he has plenty of gas in the tank, he's begging for the ball, and we decide to let Coker throw another eyes-closed moonball? Even if he DID complete it, that gives Ole Miss 3 minutes with 2 timeouts to get down the field and only need a field goal for the win. Awful playcalling.

The game was hard to watch regardless. No one wanted to touch Nkemdiche. Our QBs may have 5-stars from high school but have no stars in the college game. As we've seen time and time again(and is most obvious in the NFL), a smarter QB is better than a QB with a longer arm.

Why we don't burn the redshirt on the clear future QB in Blake Barnett is beyond me. By all accounts from practices, he has a great read of the offense, and has a better brain than anyone who's currently getting snaps. We play the trial-by-fire game with WRs and DBs, why not QB?

UGA looks like the best team in the country right now, and have a de facto bye week in prep for Alabama in Athens. I would guess the opening line at UGA giving between 5 and 7 points.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Mizzou's season just went into the toilet. QB that can't throw and when he does, receivers that can't catch. Worst game (loss to KY) I have seen them play in years.

17. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Oregon and BYU lost and Boise State won?

It was a good weekend.

18. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #18 drbob101, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ND grad and daughter just graduated from Clemson. Headed to the game and hopefully Joaquin doesn't mess up the party.

Can't lose in this one!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Noles need a td here now-c'mon its wake!

20. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Ohio just barely won from a scrappy Indiana team, what a great game.

Then the ND game against Clemson, Wow looked bad for ND early in the rain soaked field behind by 2 TDs the Irish rallied despite 4 turnovers in the 2nd half to fall at the .07 sec mark on a failed 2pt conversion that would have tied. It was a nail biter for both sides to the end.

21. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Now that's cool! ;)

22. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Love this! We were fortunate and didn't get TOO much rain. Could have been worse weather wise. Congratulations on your daughter graduating from Clemson. Next time you are there, stop by The Tiger Sports Shop, highway location, and say HI!! #BYOG

23. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
  24. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Thank you for the good wishes. I will miss all the trips to Clemson the past 4 years. I really love that area and have really enjoyed all of my visits there. I am a golfer and the Warren course is one of my favs. 5 rounds ago when checking in I asked if they had my round count in the computer and he said he did. AT that point I had played 45 rounds there in 3 1/2 years. I've got a few more in since then :)

My first game at Clemson was 4 years ago against FSU and it was Sammy Watkins coming out party. Talk about exciting offense. I was hooked! Dabo has doen a really nice job there instilling values and a mindset in those guys. It's a team and coaching that I can get my arms around. In his post game rant he mentioned the job ND did twice. I have seen so many coaches ignore the other team or try and get digs in during the commenst and it makes me cringe. (Spurrier , Saban are you listening?). Dabo is a class act in my book.

The team is lacking in some areas and I don't think they are of championship caliber right now. I am concerned that Watson hasn't really shown all that he is touted to be yet. Is he still injured? Are they just afrais of letting him go because somethings amiss? Time will tell. Defense looks good, special team coverage needs better. Lot of season left.

ND played well after the first quarter hiccup. The weather was really bad. I watched the rerun on TV and it didn't do it justice. ND was tentative to pass in the first ahlf and Clemson did the same in the second half and let ND back into it because of it.

ANyway, epic game and weekend. I'd been talking about it since it was announced and if only the weather cooperated.

See you in SOuth Bend in 2020.

25. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    My take is that Clemson misses injured receiver, Mike Williams, far more than people think. Several of the dropped passes in some of Clemson's games up to this point would probably NOT have been dropped by Williams. He possesses a phenomenal ability to catch virtually anything thrown his way and might well be the X factor in the lack of consistency in the offense.