How does the NFL pick the wildcard teams? | FerrariChat

How does the NFL pick the wildcard teams?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by James_Woods, Dec 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    OK - I will admit it:

I am at a total loss of how the wild card teams are selected...can somebody give me a simple outline of what the rules are to make it into a wildcard slot?

2. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I could explain Quantum Physics easier. My Cowboys got screwed by it BTW. Tell me how a team THAT WAS BEATEN IN THEIR HOME STADIUM by my team should be seeded higher?

Dumb dumb dumb

Whatever. If we get past Detroit (likely) and Green Bay (prayers) to go to Seattle we will beat the Seahags - you sawit hear first. Our biggest challenge to get to the SB will be Green Bay NOT Seattle. Seattle team knows this and does NOT want to play us because their home field advantage means nothing against us.

3. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I was hoping that someone could post a rational (if perhaps not simple) set of rules on Wild Card Selection, Home Field advantage, and award of Bye weeks.

I am currently tending toward the theory that it is being decided by Nancy Reagan's former Astrologer on the basis on the phases of the moon, stars, and outer planets.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    As Mark pointed out to, the lunacy begins when 3 or more teams are tied - head to head goes out the door & record within division is the decider...T

6. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Thanks, tom. Dallas is my home team - but the question was in general; not partisan. We actually have (with the NFC South) the prospect of Wild Card teams having a better record than the South division winner.

As to how they decide who goes, who gets a bye, who gets home field - I have never understood it and I guess I never will.

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cool. I'm a Dallas fan as well. Moved to DFW about a dozen years ago. Like Mark says, quantum mechanics may be easier to understand! BTW, there's a great group of F-chatters talking football on the ”NFL 2014” thread...T

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    James, total of 12 teams make the playoffs. Six from the NFC and six from the AFC.

The winner if each division makes the playoffs. That leaves 4 wild card spots, 2 for the AFC and 2 for the NFC. The 2 teams from each side with the best records (excluding the divisional winners) get a wild card spot. If teams are tied, then the tie break rule posted by Tom is used to determine who gets in.

BTW, this is my first post in about a week, I am in the Dominican Republic :D