FlatterGate | FerrariChat

FlatterGate

Discussion in 'Sports' started by wax, Jan 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    NE Patriots balls shriveled.

What would/could/should be the consequences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #2 Gran Drewismo, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I guess the NFL could randomly check footballs during a game to see if they are inflated properly.

Was the game really that affected though?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fine, loss of draft picks, suspension for belichick for a few games next season.

4. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I thought it was called "DeflateGate?"

Suspending Belichick from all team activities until after the Super Bowl would be my punishment, but we all know that the NFL is in love with Brady and the Patriots, so that'll never happen.

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yeah, but it's closer to "WaterGate", ya see . . . and it flattered Brady's grip, ya see . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

How about refs do their job, test the balls, maintain control of them, do spot checks during game if things seem odd, and if anything is amiss, enforce penalties when it may do a dang bit of good. Might be a more constructive use of their time, so they don't have to fill their time with idiotic rules like the Calvin Johnson rule! After the fact is useless. Has any NFL game result ever been overturned for any reason?

7. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I love that people hate the Patriots. And I love even more that people hate Tom Brady. I used to get mad, now I just smile.

Go Pats!

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I thought they *did* do that?

and since the balls were deflated for both teams, I don't know if it made any impact. Colts lost by 38, so this is grasping at straws IMO :)

IMO, fine/suspension if proven to be intentional, otherwise I don't see what the fuss is about. certainly doesn't warrant them missing a super bowl, IMO.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The teams use different balls. Each has control of the ones they use on offense.

10. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Game balls had been checked by referees two hours before kickoff, and were found to be correctly inflated at that time. That means someone intentionally deflated them after inspection, as evidenced by the fact 11 of the 12 were found to be underinflated at halftime when the Colts complained about it. That's cheating, plain and simple.

Belichick should be suspended for the Super Bowl. Its his team and his responsibility to ensure his team and staff aren't comprised of cheaters. Brady should be suspended as well, he most definitely knew the difference and didn't do anything about it. Further, the entire team should be disqualified from the entire 2016 season.

The bottom line is Belichick thinks he's bigger than the game and above the rules. That attitude needs to be dealt with severely so its crystal clear to anyone in the league there's a zero tolerance policy when it comes to cheating.

11. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    That seems like a problem waiting to happen.

12. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I agree.

If you take away ALL the passing stats, the Colts would still lose 21-7.

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ah, OK, as I understood it, the home team provided all the balls for the game; I didn't realize each team supplied the balls they played with (giggle)

in that case, yes it would seem they were up to something, and if proven so should be penalized...although I still don't think it mattered in terms of who won the game.

agreed. that seems like a policy just begging to be abused.

14. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Perhaps the Colts would have lost. Perhaps momentum would have lifted the Colts/Luck out of their poor game. We'll never know. I don't think it's OK to cheat - even IF the outcome would have been the same.

And, how long this has gone on unchecked? How many closer games were possibly decided with cheating going on? (Ravens score just the week before was 35/31). Or are we to believe this was the first time it happened, and the Pats just happened to get caught right away? **insert cliché saying about buying a bridge here**

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Joe... Pats caught before. Spygate. Aikman lambasted them in an article, and on radio, and the article mentioned a third time, which I don't recall. So, I am starting to see a pattern: Pats cheat = NFL slap on the wrist...T

16. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    ESPN seems to have gone out of their way to produce this Deflategate story, with all their 'sources' and 'sources say' comments. Most media outlets and journalists have jumped on the bandwagon, as well ex qb's saying Brady are Belichick are cheats when ironically there are no facts. Again, sources say 11 of 12 balls were deflated but not the NFL stating this. Media even went as far as to say D'Qwell Jackson intercepted and went to the sidelines insinuating the ball was light. Jackson has denied ever making such comments even further to say he would not be able to hold a ball and know if it is under or over. Ironic the media is not held to accountability and ethics and yet say that is exactly what the Patriots and crew are guilty of.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    mkultra…I agree in that I think ESPN & other media outlets are doing their best to fan the flames, while the NFL is doing their best to ignore it.

If I were the NFL, I'd be more worried that there is a week to go to their marquee event & I have seen precious little talk about the game itself, the players, match ups, whether a Seattle win symbolizes the birth of a new dynasty, if Brady's 4th SB would make him the GOAT, etc. but rather obssesing about deflated balls & whether or not Katy Perry will have a wardrobe malfunction (OK, maybe that's just me!).

I think this may be a product of having two favorites facing off (hence no Cinderella angle), and teams whose fan base is more regional than national (IMO), or perhaps with this 2 week gap, folks are bored. Then again, Dallas ain't in the game, so new outlets here are not really all that interested?

Didn't NFL experiment with a one-week, pre-SB gap? If so, may be time to go back to that.

T

18. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Yurrup is facing Deflation. Not the US. Should be an issue for soccer balls not American footballs. ;)

19. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Where did you read both teams had deflated balls?

And checking them in a 70 degree room and then moving them outdoors
    in the cold for 2+ hours had nothing to do with it?
    No, it's not the coach's responsibility for all this, it's the GM's, and you won't be able
    to convince me Indy's footballs were not the same.
    I played QB in the cold, balls do change.

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    don't recall...one of the dozens of Sports websites out there. they claimed both teams played with the same batch of balls, which is apparently wrong.

21. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Using the ideal gas law I did a calculation of pressure change from 70 F to 45 F
    The drop would be .75 psi. Since they are reporting the drop was up to 2 psi Below the minimum spec, I have to conclude that at least one ball had molecules of air removed from it. If I knew the pressures of each ball maybe I would increase the number of balls that I think were tampered with.

I believe that nobody on the Patriots staff would do ANYTHING to a football that might make Tom Brady unhappy.

Tom clearly stated that he did not do anything to the balls. I believe him. He also did not clearly state that he did NOT direct anyone to doctor the balls.

I believe Tom made it known that he would be fine with low inflation footballs and "minions" took care of the problem.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Now, we're getting somewhere!! I was thinking the same. Using Gay-Lussac's law, I got 0.6 & change psi for that temp diff, which is about 5% in absolute (Kelvin) temperature units. Assuming my back of the envelope calc is righteous, for 2 psi, someone needed to monkey around with the "n" in PV = nRT!

We may have to up this bad boy & bust out the van der Waals equation. To the Bat computer!

T