serena | FerrariChat

serena

Discussion in 'Sports' started by 95spiderman, Jul 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    she is already best womens tennis player of all time. now i think shes becoming best american tennis player all time man or woman. better career than mac, connors, sampras, and agassi i think. shes been doing this for so long on all surfaces, singles, doubles, and totally dominating.

and if she pulls off grand slam this year then shes up there with men of all time too. maybe shes best female athlete of all time too in any sport

2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I don't deny anything you said.

I cannot stand her arrogance. She's also a drama queen. She's been disrespectful to her opponents way too many times after a loss. I pray for the day she retires.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I concur with you and the op...both correct.

I have further thought she has been disrespectful of the game itself.

that said, her game has been one where she has utilized her strength and power to just blow opponents off the court. it is either outright winner or knocking the ball in the bottom of the net. I have never been a fan, appreciated her game or felt there was anything near a competitive element during her reign.

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    +1

I can't stand her. I hope for someone to beat her at every tournament, but it doesn't happen.

Still..you can't deny what she has accomplished, and continues to accomplish.

5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i don't follow tennis that closely so don't know about her histrionics but im happy to have a fellow American to root for

6. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Yes, she's an incredibly powerful, dominating athlete.

She apparently sucks at being a sportsman-like human.
    I don't like watching her.

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Same here - incredible athlete, but too much drama. A lot of that is derived from her father Richard.

No denying her position - arguably the greatest of all time (although she needs to pass Margaret Court's 24 GS titles in my opinion). But I think the real value that the Williams' sisters (and their father) have provided to tennis is the way they were developed.

They were NOT placed in the best schools / academies - in fact, largely trained and schooled by their father. You might ask why that's such a big deal, but consider other sports where the "pay for play" model restricts or excludes people. In that model, you will NEVER have the best players rise to the top, you'll only have the "best of what's left" - think Major League Baseball before integration.

I'm passionate about this subject, even more so as I coach girls' soccer - I see this ALL THE TIME. Both of the teams I coach consist of girls that were cast off from other teams because they "weren't good enough" or couldn't pay the tab to play.

Both teams have won trophies, and 15 out of 18 of my older girls team played on their middle school teams alongside the so-called "better" players. I've developed 2 "cast offs" into EDP (elite level teams / players) players, and others to teams playing in far better leagues than where my teams play.

The Williams sisters show that you do NOT have to follow that model to get where you need to go. It's different for all sports - but in tennis, and certainly for girls soccer (and to some extent boys soccer) you don't need to be on the "label" team to make it.

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    maybe their attitude stems from an old sports illustrated expose from before they even turned pro. basically said the father was a scam artist and girls were not even good. he was just looking to make $ off them. article had me believing it. and never an apology from si either

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    For me, this sums it up:

Serena threatens the line judge:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-2-63IhLtk[/ame]

Her interview afterwards:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuQmjV7Yfi8[/ame]

Check out her body language and attitude. She doesn't think she needs to answer for her actions.

She's an awesome athlete, but shows such disdain for anyone who is not her.

Matt

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ever since that US Open match I have been waiting for her to retire.

It is interesting how different she is from another great tennis champion, Roger Federer. Fed is the definition of class and Serena is the exact opposite.

It seems like the only time Serena loses matches, is when she isn't paying attention, or just doesn't care. If she focuses, even 50%, she can beat almost every female player.

11. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    She should retire and hook up with Ray Lewis. Storybook ending.

12. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Interesting comments thus far, but I think some of us have unreasonable expectations?

The last thing I am seeking when I watch a world champion athlete is for them to also be the ambassador of good social graces, diplomacy, fine manners and a general poster-child for 'how to win friends & influence people'.

I simply want to watch a best-in-the-world performance!

Charming personalities most world champions are not, and I can think of a few present world champions (& others from the past) that fit this description nicely.

Furthermore, I suspect most world champions don't care what you & I think. They care even less what their competitors think. They just want to WIN!

So far as they follow the basic rules of the sport, all's good.

That killer-instict and relentless drive that makes them such dominant & competitive machines has long-since put paid to any practice of extending courtesies to those they have to engage with. The way I see it, many of the best athletes are temperamental & mean, and they harness that same intensity to give them an edge in their performance.

There are some world champions who are thoughtful, kind & well-mannered, but we can't expect all of them to be like that.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Navratilova is GOAT

Serena is goat detritus

Venus, on the other hand, is an Ambassador for Tennis.

I'm really, really, really looking forward to changing of the guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    She is very unlikeable.

I'm sure they will strip away all the titles though once they finally discover the male genitales she's been hiding. :eek:

15. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    ''I thought she played the best tennis in her career,'' Williams said about Vinci. ''She played, literally, out of her mind.''

Always so humble in victory. Alway so gracious in defeat. Yeah.

I rest my case. I pray for the day she retires.

16. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    Im sure many are happy then that she got ousted today in the semi finals!

17. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Italians are playing good tennis!

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I saw Serena's entire interview. I thought she was fine. No excuses, and complimentary to her opponent.

Now change in plan for tomorrow afternoon - off to Boston's North End to watch the tutto italiano finale!

19. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    ''She played, literally, out of her mind.''

Did you miss this part? I've played competitive tennis my entire life. You don't say this after a loss. If you have some class I mean.

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Veni, Vidi, Vinci

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    +1

That, and I REFUSE to watch any tennis where either or both players GRUNT.
    They didn't do it 30 years ago, so why now?

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, I didn't miss that part, but I didn't find her interview as being disrespectful. I mean clearly she was disappointed, but then who wouldn't be in that situation.

I also saw the on court interview they did with Roberta. She was asked when she woke up this morning did she think she could beat Serena. I can't quote her exact response, but it was something like she had zero expectation of winning.