Tennis match fixing scandal | FerrariChat

Tennis match fixing scandal

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GuyIncognito, Jan 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That sucks...I love grand slam tennis. The fall and winter wait is finally over and Australian Open just started...ugh. I'm hoping for competitive matches, but hearing about that many top players possibly being a part of that is sickening.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yup. I'm not naive, but I was surprised by this.

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Interesting. I suppose this is a possibility in any individual sport. However I have trouble believing some of the top players would do this.

Take this year's Australian Open for example. The winner will get $3.8M. Any player that has even a remote chance at winning the tournament would have to get a huge payoff to purposely throw a match. Maybe I am being naive..

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think that Chris Kemode of the ATP is right: it happens, but it's very limited.

I think that Alex's (Devilsolsi) logic above holds true. Anyone with a shot a winning a number of majors isn't going to throw a match.

Ultimately, tho, proving the allegations one way or the other may be extremely difficult.

Matt

6. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes, but when you get into match fixing (and some of this was alleged out of Sicily), you are talking a) a lot more money than match winnings and b) possible harm or death.

You get caught up in it maybe willingly at first, but unable to get out if unwilling.

Point shaving in basketball is an old game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978%E2%80%9379_Boston_College_basketball_point_shaving_scandal

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It's not analogous. One team member can sandbag enough to lose the spread in basketball. A basketball team will be as vulnerable to game-fixing as its most corrupt player.

Tennis is an individual sport. It also has a points and rankings system. Both are inherent deterrents to throwing a match.

Also, even at a lower level, tennis players make a lot in endorsements. They have more to lose by a loss in reputation than a college basketball player.

Matt

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So..we don't think it would be done in majors, but would lower level events like a 250 or 500 be more likely? What about Davis cup?

It is hard to imagine them doing it for money... perhaps they are mixed up with the wrong people and need to repay a debt?

Just thinking out loud. I love tennis so hopefully this isn't true.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    All very interesting stuff!! Kinda wishing it wasn't true, I love watching tennis and now you don't know which matches in the past were fixed or not.

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The NFL needs to be investigated as well

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Why?

As always, I may be mistaken, but seems to me the NFL is *very* serious about being seen to be whiter than white and just squeaky clean. No team in Vegas etc....

Sure, there's probably more money wagered on the NFL than anything outside horse racing, but that's not their doing.

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    When I saw the draw I knew that would be a really tough 1st round match. Verdasco hasn't done much the last couple years, but one of the best matches I have seen was his semi against Nadal in 2008 or 2009. Of all the top guys to potentially lose early, I would have guessed Nadal. It has happened a few times in the past couple of years.

Tonight will be another really rough early match, Radwanska vs Bouchard. If Bouchard can get herself back together mentally this will be a good match..otherwise not so much.

16. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Mike & Mike this morning mentioned that tennis was the 2nd most bet on sport world wide. I haven't been able to find anything online to back that up.

17. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Interesting, & more than a little surprising, to me at least.

Maybe 'match fixing' is more widespread than we thought..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There weren't any numbers to back this up, but they speculated that it was in part due to how global of a sport there is and how long the season is. Actually, the tennis season never really ends. There are tournaments every week..

Getting slightly off topic, I think they need to push the Australian Open back a little to actually give the players an off season between the year end tournament and the 1st major. I think it would benefit the sport to allow the players to actually recover and train.

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks mate, you just reminded me about their last match back in 08 or 09. I remember that match, it was awesome and Rafa won it.

Just a bad day for Nadal then.

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Two obvious ones that come to mind are the Pitt-Seattle Superbowl and the 49ers-Ravens Superbowl.

Watch them (again) and you will see for yourself.

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  22. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  23. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If her story is true, I don't think she should be suspended at all. She has been taking the drug for 10 years. It was just added to the list of banned drugs on Jan 1. The Australian Open, where she failed the drug test, is only about 2 weeks after it became illegal.

I agree with her that it is her responsibility to know what is acceptable and what is not, so she certainly messed up there. But, she is facing a 2-4 year suspension, and has already been dropped by Nike, Porsche and Tag. I think that is a bit harsh.

She messed up and deserves a slap on the wrist, but its not like she was actively cheating for years and trying to cover it up.

24. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1

Hard to believe she has needed this stuff for the last 10 years for a 'medical condition'.

I reckon she was using it, got caught and now has to accept what is handed to her.

If only she read that email on Jan 1, she might have been right.

I am sure there where plenty of other pros in all sports that were/are using, but they obviously stopped taking it when it made the banned substance list.

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Well if she needs a shoulder to lean on...;)