Stephen Curry...Greatest individual season of all time? **POSSIBLE NBA SPOILERS!** | FerrariChat

Stephen Curry...Greatest individual season of all time? **POSSIBLE NBA SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Sports' started by butcher, Feb 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    The Golden State Warriors won last year's 2015 NBA championship after winning 67 games in the regular season with what Sir Charles Barkley has called "just a jump shooting team." Anyone who has watched this team, can attest that the GS Warriors are much more than that as they can play championship defense as well. Many thought that the Warriors would struggle this year as now they are are known entity and would get everyone's best shot. They have come out hungrier and playing some of the best basketball that anyone has ever seen, especially Steph Curry, the reigning MVP. Last night's game in Miami, he took over the game in the 4th quarter, scoring 2 long 3's within the last 2 minutes to help his team pull out a most improbable victory...Are we seeing history as someone having the greatest individual season ever? The GS Warriors are on pace to beat Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls team as the best season record in history and barely 6 foot Curry is leading the "big man" NBA in scoring.

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes.. but only if they repeat for the title and a few more after that.

MJ being 6 for 6 in the Finals is a high benchmark. He'll always be the "greatest ever" because there was so much to him beyond the court in terms of revolutionizing the merchandising side of the business, rise of Nike, etc.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I agree re what MJ did for the sport.

But for an individual achievement, I think Stephs already 'there or thereabouts'. He's totally dominating the game right now.

Fun stuff! And I really wasn't too much of a basketball fan until I jumped on the Warriors bandwagon a year or so back! (And was staying with a buddy who used to have Warriors season tickets 'explain' the subtleties of the game to me - that helped! :) )

Cheers,
    Ian

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    indeed, it's incredible!! good times..

5. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Nightly Notable: Stephen Curry | NBA.com

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Last nights game was *awesome*! Something like 20 lead changes before he, along with his buddy Klay put it to bed in the fourth.

Certainly a lot of fun being a fan right now. :)

"This is why we watch." ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Best shooter ever, but he'd have to play much better defense to be in the same stratosphere as Jordan (who was defensive player of the year the same season he averaged over 35 a game and easily won mvp). Jordan was a multiple time first team all defense to go along with his 10 scoring titles.

That said, Curry is easily the best player since Jordan. Their whole offense revolves around him and the attention other teams have to pay to him. He needs zero space to get his shot off and has range 10 feet beyond the three point line so is virtually impossible to defend.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

OH c'mon, not even close. Let's look at Wilt's records, ok?

Averaged 30 PPG 22 RPG for his career. 4.4 assists per game. FOR HIS CAREER.

Played 14 seasons.

in 1962 averaged over 50 PPG, for the season.
    in 1961 AVERAGED 24.5 Rebounds per game!!

1967 led the league in ASSISTS.

in his second season in the NBA averaged 38 points and 27 rebounds.

So, is Steph Currry a great player? Sure. Is he Wilt? Not even close. Not even for one season.

D

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ****Warriors - Magic spoilers*****

Hmmm. Wilt was before my time, so I'd need to ask my buddy about that.

But, I just finished watching the Warriors beat the Magic - 51 points (one from the line) from him tonight.

He also broke the consecutive games with a 3-pointer record to take it to 128 straight games.

We'd need to check, but I do believe Stephs getting at least awfully close to the #'s you posted for Wilt.

And wasn't the 3 point line closer back then too?

As an aside, do you rank Wilt above Michael?

Cheers,
    Ian

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#10 dm_n_stuff, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    yup, but not over 14 seasons, just yet.
    3 point line, Wilt didn't need no stinkin' 3 point line. It was added in 1979. Wilt's last season was 1973. All his points were twos.

Nope. Only because Jordan had several more championships. I suspect one on one in their prime, Wilt would have eaten Jordan alive.

I did, as a wee child, see Wilt play. I also saw Jordan once, and Dr. J on several occasions. For sheer excitement, give me Dr J any day, he was a magician. For elevating a team, I'd say Jordan was the best. For sheer strength, Wilt by far and away was the best. Don't forget he scored 100 points in a single game.

And the season he averaged 50 points? He also AVERAGED 27 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game.

Never fouled out of a pro game.

D

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wilt was a a physical specimen - a man among boys back in those days. Both MJ and Curry were guards that did/do not physically dominate. There are/were bigger and stronger players in the game than them (in Curry's case, most are bigger and stronger). Wilt had no peer physically. In terms of skill, Wilt couldn't hold a candle to either one. There's a reason Wilt generally ranks behind Kareem as an all time great as while Kareem was tall, he did not physically dominate, especially in his later years when he was one of many 7 footers in the league.

12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

but not quicker, I will say not many I've ever seen can hold a candle to his ability to find an open spot where non seems to exist, and then hit that shot, especially 3's.
    Wilt could jump out of the building, pass, rebound, and create shots close to the basket. He was NOT a long shooter, by any stretch of the imagination, and was at best a pedestrian foul shooter. But he had some amazing seasons, and one hell of a career. I think Mike Greenberg (Mike and Mike on ESPN) said something like, "There are two record books in the NBA, one for Wilt, and one for the rest of the NBA."

D

13. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Fans who were not alive at the time cannot begin to appreciate the Big O, Oscar Robertson, who once averaged a triple double FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON. He did every thing - AND he played a stifling defense. Played for a mediocre Cincinnati team that got out of the playoffs first round only four times in ten years. In 1998 the U.S. Basketball Writers Association named its College Player of the Year Award the Oscar Robertson Trophy. If I'm forming a team, Oscar is my first draft selection.

P.S. as a kid, I watched my first Knick game at the 69th Regiment Armory in New York City in 1950.
    P.P.S. Dave, I LOVE your quote of Warren Buffet!

14. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Also in my top 5 list. Oscar Robertson was a basketball genius.

But hell, it's apparent that we're OLD school. Capital OLD. :D

D

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I won't quote everything posted above, but as a "newbie", I really do appreciate the education & comments guys. Thanks!

I'm certainly no "expert", but I do think we may just be watching something very special in Steph & the Warriors right now. Their current record certainly suggests so.

Cheers,
    Ian

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Wilt's record of 25,000 will likely never be duplicated.

17. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    :)

18. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Yeah, look what One of the legends, Oscar Robertson just said about Curry...just another case of one generation criticizing another generation, I think.

Oscar Robertson Comments on Stephen Curry, Modern NBA Game | Bleacher Report

19. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Curry is a great shooter and is taking advantage of the way the game is played today, not unlike Oscar, Wilt, etc did in their day also...its nice to watch and enjoy!

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Sit back & enjoy. It's not something we get to see very often.

It's sure starting to look like they'll break the all time wins record. Which would be quite an achievement.

Cheers,
    Ian

21. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    What I believe we are CURENTLY witnessing in Stephen Curry is someone who has superior ball handling skills and quickness that can move to any space on the court and has THE MOST SUPERIOR SHOOTING RANGE IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME. He has such a quick release where even if the defender has good position on him, it is very difficult to block his shot. If you watch how other teams attempt to defend Curry, you will see that off the ball, the defenders, often 2 of them at one time will hold Steph so he cannot run free and get open. You could call fouls off the ball on Curry's defenders on almost every single offensive possession. IT DOES NOT MATTER. if you use multiple defenders to hold/defend Curry, Clay Thompson will get open and will kill you with his ALMOST CURRY LEVEL shooting skills. Curry will then work hard to get open and WILL Attempt a 3 point shot that you cannot stop. If you work to defend past the 3 point arc, both Steph and Clay will not hesitate to blow by you for a lay up with their quickness. teams try to be physical with Curry and DESTROY him when he drives for a lay up and he rarely gets the superstar foul- free thows. If Curry got the more appropriate obligatory free throw shots he would probably be averaging 40 points/ game given his free throw % is 98%. We are seeing a once in a lifetime type of player here, A Jordan, Bird, Magic, Kobe type of player. All of these players had superior skills and the ice cold killer instinct in closing out a game. WE ARE WITNESSING SOMETHING SPECIAL!

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ^^^ Yep!

The 'Splash Brothers' are definitely something special.

While Oscar & Wilt were also special talents, I think many are wearing the 'rose tinted' glasses. Which is understandable. We all do on occasion. (See the F1 forum for unlimited examples! ;))

Michael is maybe another debate.

Cheers,
    Ian

23. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Perfect explanation Ian, especially with F1, coming from you, Ha ha...

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D :p

While I admit I remain a huge F1 fan, I do like to think my rose tinteds aren't quite as 'dark' as some other folks...... Particularly when 'looking back'.....

Cheers,
    Ian

25. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    See, I told you so, the greatest individual season of all time no questions!