Official "How 'bout those cubbies!" Thread | FerrariChat

Official "How 'bout those cubbies!" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheMayor, May 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How about those cubbies??????

Best record in baseball...

So far 23 - 6 .793 winning percentage, 7.5 games up on second place, and 13-3 on the road!

Could it be?

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The problem is that even the best Cubs teams fade down the stretch, victims of playing all those day games in the heat of the summer.

Until the Cubs become like all the rest of the teams and play most of their home games at night, I don't think they'll be able to win it all. (I hope for the sake of the long-suffering Cubs fans that they do the right thing.)

P.S. I attended a (day) game at Wrigley almost exactly a year ago and found the place delightfully quaint. The turn 1 grandstand at the Indy 500 was the only other place I can compare it to.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wrigley is indeed quaint. Great place to take in a game.

Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. Long way to go for a team that has not won in a century-plus. I do think their experience in postseason last year will help them this year. If Mets can't do it, it would be nice to see Cubs get off the schnide...T

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    10 game winning streak! :)

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    It ain't over till the fat lady sings!

That being said, I hope they continue to do well.

6. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Best team I have seen in person all year. I think they've had their mid season slump...couple of injuries too. I did not like the trade for the psycho reliever from the Yanks, but Theo knows a little more about baseball than I do. Let's Go Cubs

7. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    LOL, from May 8 to August 11, NO postings.....!

You guys crack me up.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Baseball is a marathon. I love my Mets, but even I find it hard to get enthused for 162 games! 😀
    T

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm going to see them play the Dodgers in 2 weeks. Can't wait!

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yep, I would take clients to Yankee games, in some of the best seats in the house, and after awhile it started to feel like a chore. I could never go to 80 games.

This will be like the Red Sox winning the series, if the cubbies do it. I know an old boss of mine will be doing backflips, as he is a life-long suffering Cubs fan.

Fenway Park also has a very nice intimate feel to it. You feel like you can just reach out and touch the grass from anywhere in the stands.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Finally got a chance to do Fenway last year. A buddy got tix. Don't hate me Chicago people, but it is much nicer than Wrigley. That could be a function of it being close to 15 years since I was at Wrigley, and I know they've done a lot of reno to it since then...T

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah baby! 4 runs in the 9th to sink the Giants!

CUBBIES!!!!!

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Impressive. That kind of thing happens to the Cubs not for the Cubs. 😉 Could be a curse breaker?!?
    T

14. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Anti-curse Tom. Watched game in Bellagio Sports Bar. I'd say 80% of people there (packed) either were cubs fans or had money on them. Like NY Eve in the top ninth. You missed it Bob. There was a group of eight Cubs fans with their jerseys on (4 couples) in one of those banquettes and after the game they orderded two bottles of DOM.

15. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Congratulations to the Cubs. IMHO, they are probably the most complete team the Giants have faced in the postseason in a long while. They've got a decent shot for sure.

Not to take anything away from their accomplishments, but I'll add that anyone who has been watching the Giants at all this season has seen them blow many MANY games using nearly the exact same compliment of pitchers, in nearly the identical order. I think actually the bullpen blew an MLB record number of games.

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Very happy for them!! Thumbs up!

17. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Can't believe this thread is so quiet - Cubs are going to the World Series!

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Baseball fans everywhere are in shock!
    T

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Should b a good finals

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    CUBBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called it way back when. Now, it's time to finish it. 4 more wins to victory.

21. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    As a lifelong Cubs fan,(47 years) this is absolutely surreal!!!! I remember sitting on my Grandfathers lap at Wrigley when we weren't watching games in their basement with everyone in the house yelling at the TV 1/2 blitzed on Old Style. (They had a keg on tap at all times!) On the other side of the family, my Grandmother and Aunt were the most insane Cubs fans on the planet!
    My Grandmother about came out of her skin in '84 then again in '89. I know well the meaning of "well there's always next year". Baseball is my favorite sport because of the Cubs.

I've watched or listened to 40+ games this year and have seen every pitch in the entire post season. What a season it's been. Now it all comes down to 4 more wins......Let's go Cubs!!!

Jim

22. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Congrats to all you Cubs fans. You deserve a World Series especially after this season. Now go out there and WIN!!!!!

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This lifelong Yankees fan is delighted to be able to watch a World Series with style: two loooong-time MLB teams, neither of which has won a Series in my 63 years on this planet. For either of these teams, winning the Series will be precious, but I think I'll root for the Cubs.

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Life Long Yankee Fan here too. As long as the RedSox & Dodgers are out, I'm a happy Camper!

25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Cubs in the ws. They may even sweep it.