Too much sport.... Is that possible?.... | FerrariChat

Too much sport.... Is that possible?....

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Fast_ian, May 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

I think I've noted before that my tv only receives sport channels. The DVR is a truly wonderful thing.

My local guys; the Giants, Warriors & Sharks are all doing pretty well. Then I've got F1 showing up in the middle of the night.

Then there's the EPL, but I mostly manage to limit that to the highlight show these days.

It's almost alarming!..... Just finished the Sharks game, now starting the Giants. Then a quick nap ahead of FP1.

Should I seek help? ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    And kinda forgot the 49'ers as they're not playing right now!

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We indeed are over entertained.

I record everything l watch so l can FF through commercials, breaks, injuries, talks at the mound, ref replay reviews, etc. that way it's action all the time. Cutting out the nonsense means more time to watch more action. :)

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was gonna say....:D

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #5 rdefabri, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    WHAAAT??!!!

The highlight shows, while entertaining, aren't of any interest. Full on matches, I say!!

Sure, the Norwich-Crystal Palace ties that end in a 0-0 draw aren't much fun, but a Liverpool-Dortmund Euro quarter with stoppage time winning goals are EPIC!

6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Due to those sports all being seasonal, No, Not ever enough.

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I've decided to limit my sports intake as it can get overwhelming.

MotoGP & WSBK have been decided for me as my cable provider does not offer Bein Sports and I an too cheap to buy the online streaming subscriptions.

Formula 1 for the most part is a snore-fest and I haven't watched one this year. Maybe Monaco.

I have almost completely removed basketball from my life despite playing for years. Mizzou stinks and will stink for some time, so hard to get excited.

I will stick with football (college & NFL) and watch racing as I can and that will be about it. At least the weather during football season makes being indoors watching preferable.

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

Great comments guys, thanks! ;)

As I didn't "grow up" here, college sports is one I'll pass on. Otherwise I think I'd be *completely* screwed!

There's no doubt "success" helps - Was easy to jump on the '9'ers bandwagon back in the early nineties. Then the Giants. Now the Warriors.

But gotta disagree on F1 - That's the one that'll always cost me sleep.

Nice to know I'm not alone, regardless of the sport. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Commercials? Nonsense? You must also watch with TV on mute to reduce the nonsense emanating from the talking heads.

😀

We live in a golden age of sports watching due to the internet and streaming media IMO. When I moved away from NYC, I could never have imagined being able to follow my Mets in real time using a mobile phone. And, since I prefer radio to TV feed, I can usually listen to game while getting some work done. Assuming, of course, Mets are not doing something that requires me to yell at my phone like a maniac!
    T

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Hey now! With the Kaep and Chip Kelly sagas, the Niner may be more interesting now than during the regular season! 😃
    T

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Baseball is a radio game to me too really; I certainly "learnt" it from the great Lon Simmons & thence Jon Miller around here.

Cricket is the same way; it's OK on the 'box, but somehow works better on the radio.

Guess we're getting old......

:D

No doubt!

Cheers,
    Ian

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

No doubt, we're getting old, but the alternative is worse! ;)

When I worked in the UK for four months, I liked listening to cricket on the radio. BBC, I think. Ashes from Australia, middle of the night, great way to fall asleep! 😉
    T

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

:)

Definitely the BBC, & if it was from Aus almost certainly the Ashes.

Many folks here don't understand that a Test Match lasts five days and ends in a draw more often than not..... "How is that possible!?"

I guess you have to either be born to it or *really* needing some sleep! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ I gather that tests are the highest form of the sport, but my attention span is too short. I do like the 20-20 matches though...T

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I have similar reasons. I would like to watch MotoGP, but I don't get that channel and don't feel like paying for it either. I'm sure the doctor will get shafted near seasons end for a Spanish rider.

Haven't really watched F1 since 2009 when the cars became ugly.

The farther I'm removed from college, the less and less I watch college sports.

That basically leaves NBA and NFL, but I only really start watching those closely when they're in the playoffs.

I realize I spent a ton of time before watching all that on TV...More free time now...

16. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    You left out Stanford, Cal, San Jose State, Da greatness of da Raidas, and the atha-letics.

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :)

I don't do college. That would be overload!

I do keep an eye on da Raiders & A's - They obviously feature on the local reports.

Cheers,
    Ian

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :eek: The 'purists' would ****! ;)

I concur BTW, but it's a *completely* different game.

Cheers,
    Ian

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Raiders are in the ascendancy, if Carr can keep improving. Athletics? Can't figure them out. They seem to do well or poorly, year to year, with no discernible rhyme or reason...T

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 on both points.

I was expecting the Raiders to make huge progress once Crazy Al passed, but really hasn't happened.

As you note, the A's just seem to not quite know what's going on! Dunno if it's management, coaching or what, but they're certainly a little bit of a mystery.

Cheers,
    Ian

21. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    What are the options?

Politics
    'Reality' Shows
    The SAME movie reruns, over and over and over...
    'Home improvement' Shows

22. Hamflown

Hamflown Rookie

Jul 8, 2016
    You're right about the Raiders & Carr. They could have something there (no comment on the current state of the 49ers). As for the A's, they have to operate on a shoestring budget so they can't afford the players they develop.