RIP Gordie Howe | FerrariChat

RIP Gordie Howe

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zudnic, Jun 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Sad day one of hockey's greatest players has passed on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordie_Howe

Side note: my grand parents and great uncles knew him back in the 1940's. The GM of the Red Wings family owned a hot dog stand restaurant in a small town outside of Winnipeg. In the off season, the GM brought players to his home there and employed them in the restaurant. Player made very little money back in those days. The restaurant added a dance hall so young people had something to do. So in the mid 1940's most of the Red Wings players hung out there.

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    RIP, one of the most complete players ever.

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    8x MVP.

RIP.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I don't know much about hockey, but I've heard his name. RIP. Sounds like he was a great player and a great person...T

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    He was a good guy off the ice. His wife became very active in youth hockey and started a Red Wings triple A team. She basically created minor league hockey in the U.S. My town named a middle school after both. Colleen and Gordie Howe Middle School.

I started grade one in 1979. Like most boys we collected hockey cards. I was amazed at 8 or 9 when my grand father told me about the early days of hockey. Before TV, and the low pay, etc. How he met most of the Red Wings in 1945/6. The amazing part he was around the same age as my grand parents and still playing hockey professionally.