OFFICIAL SPORTS ANNOUNCERS THREAD | FerrariChat

OFFICIAL SPORTS ANNOUNCERS THREAD

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Steelton Keith, Jun 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Gentlemen. I was clearly in the minority with my view on the broadcast team for the NHL finals, but it became apparent that we have lots of different opinions on the good, the bad and the ugly in our sports announcers and the networks that employ them. After watching a lot of golf this past weekend with the U.S. Open, I have a word of advice for Fox: "Stick to Football"

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I wasn't too thrilled with the NBA Game 7 lineup either, Mark Jackson was it? Not too good,
    he talked like an idiot at times, DUMB comments, not funny at all.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have not watched sports on TV in years, but I can imagine that it is pretty poor state of affairs. I get radio feed through my phone, and that is largely limited to NFL and the Mets.

In part, this was motivated by dissatisfaction with TV announcers, who spend too much time yakking and not enough time describing what is going on down on the field. Of course, being a life long Mets fan, I was spoiled growing up getting to listen to three HofF-ers, one for his work on the field (Kiner), and two for their work in the booth (Nelson, Murphy).

I find modern radio announcers to be better than TV announcers, in general, when it comes to describing the action on the field, and keeping the yak-fest to a minimum. Baseball, my favorite, has a pace that is ideal for radio. I can supplement the radio feed with on-demand video for great plays that pop up on my phone a few mins after I hear them on-line, and being able to look at enhanced stats (if I want to, not if some talking head thinks I should).

Football on the radio is OK, not as good as baseball, but I find that supplementing with streaming video and looking at stats helps; I think next year I will break down and pay for the NFL app, assuming that can be done w/o a Verizon phone...T

4. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I agree with the radio and baseball comments Tom. Of course, I had the greatest baseball announcer in the history of the world calling my hometown team....Harry Kalas.

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Agreed. Kalas was definitely one of the greats.

Am sure you remember this call.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYeOOxlbBbs

T

6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fox doing golf was awful.

7. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Curt Gowdy, Vin Scully, Skip Caray, Mel Allen, Jack Buck, Ernie Harwell, Harray Kalas, Red Barber, all great - plus some i did not mention, how can you pick one over the other? You can't.

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Brett Musburger. What's not to love about a guy who's so honest? :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hg7CxBdJHk[/ame]

9. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Musburger got his start at WHP in Harrisburg PA my hometown station. We will have a variety of announcing styles and quality with the upcoming Olympics coverage, that is for certain

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A great list, to which I'd add John Facenda and Jim McKay. The key about all these guys is that they had distinctive voices that you'd recognize at a heartbeat. Today many of the announcers sound the same or almost the same. Chip Caray has taken over the Braves job from his late dad, but his voice lacks the distinctiveness of either his father or his grandfather.

If you want to include color commentators, one guy I liked was Phil Rizzuto, but you'd probably have to be a Yankees fan to agree with me!

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Nope! 😀 Lifelong Mets fan and avowed Yankee hater. But, growing up, have to admit Scooter, Frank Messer and Bill White were great. Not as good as Mets announcers, of course, but when Mets were not on, liked to listen to those guys on PIX while rooting for other team...T

13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Vin Scully is the best baseball announcer on TV. He actually tells what is going on in the game and works alone. He has announced his retirement after this year.

He only does Dodger home games. Treat yourself. Check it out. BTW l ama Cardinals fan.

14. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Brush with greatness:

My hearing aids, etc. were kept next to Chick Hearn's earpieces. Sometimes, they even touched.

via Tapatalk

15. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    There are a lot of good 'color' folks, but there are a lot of bad ones, too, most
    don't last long.
    Without being sexist, there are a lot of really bad female sideline/side court 'reporters', but again,
    there are also a couple of good ones.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm struggling to think of a sideline reporter, male or female, on TV who's ever piped in with something I wanted to know.

On the radio side, Kristi Scales, who does Cowboys sideline reporting is quite good and usually has timely info, either injury updates or whether Dez is having a fit on the sideline. 😉 Listened to several Seahawks games last year and their reporter, Jen Mueller, also seemed to be quite good...T

17. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    The sideline reporter thing started with Phyllis George.

18. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Jim Lampley, actually.

And what a start it was.
    http://www.bruinsnation.com/2009/7/28/966622/ucla-tennessee-football-trivia

Still have respect for his '90's marriage to Bree Walker. He saw more than a pretty face, as her strengths are greater than her fingers and toes which are fused. Only celeb couple I ever kind of bummed about breaking up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideline_reporter
    The notion of sideline reporting actually grew out of the "Quicksilver" (wireless) coverage of the Olympic Massacre in 1972. What else could it be used for?

via Tapatalk

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Interesting post. Thanks...T

20. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Maybe I'm wrong. I will admit Jim Lampley had better hair than Phyllis

21. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I think NBC did a great job with the Open Championship at Troon. Have no idea why Mike Tirico was required though. NBC has found a way to capitalize on David Feherty's wealth of knowledge FIRST and humor second. He was in a buffoon race with McCord (never had a chance though) at CBS. Johnny Miller was terrific.

22. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    PGA Golf on TNT and CBS, Gary McCord is tolerable for one minute an hour, but they had him in the booth yesterday...YAK YAK YAK I am a FUNNY guy. Thank good for the mute button.