Concussions and brain injuries | FerrariChat

Concussions and brain injuries

Discussion in 'Sports' started by 11506apollo, Sep 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I enjoy watching a good Rugby game and I wonder if there are as many head injuries and concussions in Rugby Played with no head protection as there are in American football with helmets? Anyone knows?

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I imagine that any contact sport has some level of brain trauma attached to it. Even footy/soccer has issues with heading the ball. I think we'll learn a lot more as new studies are performed on athletes of all sports. This will open a up a new area of research for a while. I was a hockey player (D1 collegiate), but I have yet to hear about any studies of ex-hockey players. I'm actually semi-interested in learning about what they find.

That said, are we now so fragile and afraid that we cannot play sports anymore? It's a horrible side effect, but I'd wager that most professional and other elite athletes would continue to pursue their sport, because it's how they earn their living. There will always be a few who decide not to continue to participate due to the risks, but the bulk, I would think, would gladly assume those risks for the financial rewards and glory. As fleeting as they may both be.

CW