2017 NFL Season | FerrariChat

2017 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tomc, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It's March, time to start contemplating the upcoming year.

Following on Phil's post in the 2016 NFL thread, the rumors I hear most often for Romo are

Denver - do they essentially push back the development of Lynch and Siemian by a couple years? They'll be at or near end of rookie contracts by then and as big unknowns as the bullet they stuffed named Brock!

Houston - this makes some sense, but Romo will not be cheap, and then they'll have the most expensive backup in the league. Friends I talked to in Houston were fixing it, but I'm guessing that might be more disaffection with Brock than love of Tony. As for Savage, friend told me that local sport radio said concern was that he was injury prone. If that's the case, then Romo has to be a major worry. Is Houston's offensive line any good?

Arizona - Fitz is coming back, but what do they do about Palmer? This would make a good soap opera to spice up the tedious off /pre season!

T

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I can't believe the number of idiots that want Romo. I'd love to have him if healthy, but he's way too fragile at this point to take a chance.

You forgot about where Adrian Peterson will end up.

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm wondering why it is taking JJ so long to decide what to do with Romo.

As for AP, there's talk here in Boston about the Pats picking him up as a replacement for Blount. He'd have to take a lot less money, but there is the lure of it's his best chance to get a ring. Personally I think it is a real long shot.

BTW, thanks for starting this thread Tom. I don't follow any of the other major sports except for maybe during playoffs.

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Knowing JJ, he'd like to milk this for all the ink and clicks he can get.
    T

5. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think that's part of it, but he also loves Romo wants him to get the best deal. Ultimately, Romo will retire a cowboy .

6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If NE gets Peterson, look out......if he can stay healthy.

7. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Palmer announced he is coming back, so Arizona will roll with him this year.

IMO, they are no threat with Palmer as their QB. Good regular season QB, but rotten when the stakes are high (ie playoffs)

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    As an NFL GM, would any of you take a chance on Romo? As said above...he will not be cheap.
    Talk is $14 million.

Denver took Peyton Manning. He won a SB at Indy. He won a Super Bowl at Den and then retired. So it worked out.

Less than half the teams QBs played the whole year last year.

9. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Peyton was a safer bet, imo.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Houston Texans have proven they're no good with money management!
    T

11. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL.

Hell, if they gave Brock 17 mill per, Romo is a bargain at 14 and a MAJOR upgrade.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

31 mill is a lot to tie up in one position. Does anyone know if Texans have any big free agents to be?

Hmm.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/houston-texans/

Assuming Willfork is coming of books, I'm guessing Bouye is due a big bump in salary? Maybe Demps?

T

13. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That was their stupidity to sign Brock to begin with.

I compared the Brock situation to Rob Johnson, back in the mid-late 90's - Johnson was a back-up in Jax (I think it was Jax) and played a few decent games in relief of the injured starter....so what to the Bills do? They sign him to a large contract, and guess what...he stunk and flamed out of the league 1-2 years after that.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There was a lot of discussion about that today on the sports radio. The consensus was he probably wouldn't be a good fit. Firstly, Blount only costs $1 mil and no way AP would play for anything close to that. Secondly, there could be game plans where he only gets 5-10 touches in a game, would he stand for that? And thirdly, if he puts the ball on the ground one too many times, he'll sit on the bench the rest of the season! :D

On a side note, there was also talk of Brandon Marshall. Overall the thoughts were there was even a less chance than AP coming here.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Broncos have $50 million cap space. Need an offensive and defensive line, a middle linebacker.

Supposedly defensive linemen are available in the draft. Maybe a MLB. Offensive linemen can be had in the open market. Will be interesting to see if the Broncos go after QB. Kubiak liked Lynch and Simeon. Will be interesting to see how the new coaching staff approaches these issues.

Has a coach who has never been a Head Coach ever won a Super Bowl? I would be surprised indeed.

17. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How can you justify Romo though with his extensive injury history? He will get hurt and miss games this season, if not the entire season again.

And I'd love to sign him, but it's a terrible idea to tie up even more money for a very short term long shot.

18. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's the first thing I thought when NYJ cut him, was the NE would sign him.

I think he would take a pay-cut for a SB ring, and I agree that AP would not.

19. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No (assuming you mean "has a rookie head coach ever won a SB").

Jim Harbaugh was probably the closest.

20. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is there a better option than Romo? Houston isn't in rebuilding mode, they are built to win now (especially with that defense).

Hell, they were actually in that playoff game vs NE WITH Brock (but definitely not due to Brock)

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Rationally? You can't. But, for a team that believes it has a narrow window of opportunity for a Super Bowl, they may roll the dice.
    T

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I guess in the next 24 hours we will know, but I'd bet Romo will sign with the Texans. I think that is the best option for him personally. Obviously Houston is a little hamstrung to carry two high priced QB's, but then Elway probably wouldn't make Romo an offer he couldn't refuse.

23. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #23 TexasF355F1, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #24 tomc, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

Don't know who I feel more sorry for.
    T

25. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow, is there no end to how dumb the Browns brain-less trust can be?