Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Technical Q&A - Sponsored by Algar Ferrari

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Keith
Resting hand on gear shift

Does resting one's hand on the gear shift while driving damage anything or cause any undue wear to anything? I had heard that it is not recommended in the Mondial w/Valeo and was curious about other Ferraris.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 10-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Fred Flynn
I don't do it. While direct downward pressure won't hurt, there is always a tendency to put forward or rearward pressure on the lever, and this will cause the shifter fork to rub on the syncro ring. This should only be the case, while shifting.

Last edited by FF8929; 10-15-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Stephen LeRoy Sherma
Lightbulb I don't!

There are different views (pros & nays).
The pros say that since the shift lever runs through linkage (3x8's) wear is not taking place.
The nays (the group I am in - although for different a reason) point out that it be next to impossible to just apply vertical pressure (the point of the pros).
I used to be a private pilot and any pressure on the yoke/stick once the aircraft was trimed
for level flight would result in change wheither it air speed or altitude. So I figure considering driving on the road with all the changes in the surface I can not be sure I would not transfer laterial pressure.
Just my 2 cents.

Stephen
Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

While having one hand on the gear shift knob does not particular harm;

How are you going to react in an emergency with only one hand on the steering wheel?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Jedi
My Garage
Funny this just came up - just last week I asked my F-wrench Carlo (servicing
Ferraris for 40 years) and he also says "don't do it" just to help avoid forward
pressure and causing fork wear. I'm finding it a hard habit to break, but as another
poster said, nothing wrong with keeping both hands on the wheel.

Jedi
Old 10-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Keith
Thanks for the replies. I usually find myself resting my hand on the gear lever when the car is in first, third and fifth (on a 308). it just seems to be in a natural position for resting my hand at those points. I too will try to break myself of this habit.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM
F1 Veteran
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Paul
If you ever saw a shift fork worn down paper thin, or blue from overheating against the slider, then watched the owner drive with his hand on the lever, you wouldn't ever ask this question again. Any extra force is extra load. Extra load is extra wear. Its like riding a motorcycle dragging your shoes on the ground and wondering why your soles are worn off.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:09 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

I put my hand on my 3.2 Mondial shifter recently. Gave it the slightest forward and backword force and felt my transmission spinning through the shifter, cool, stopped doing it immediately.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Robbie
Driving a Testarossa w/ no power steering I find that I always have two hands on the wheel.. Just keep your hands on the wheel and you'll be fine..

R
Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artvonne View Post
If you ever saw a shift fork worn down paper thin, or blue from overheating against the slider, then watched the owner drive with his hand on the lever, you wouldn't ever ask this question again. Any extra force is extra load. Extra load is extra wear. Its like riding a motorcycle dragging your shoes on the ground and wondering why your soles are worn off.
Well, there we have it. My New Year's resolution this year was to keep my mit off the lever.

Though, with gum on my boots I do try to burn it off by dragging them on the ground riding my Harley .
Old 10-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Kevin
I would think the ball detent on the shift fork would keep small amounts of pressure on the shifter from doing anything negative to the trans.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Over time...

Resting your hand on the shift lever is no different than resting your foot on the clutch pedal.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:59 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: mitchell barnes
My Garage
in my shop

i see much damage from resting a hand on shift lever. Just do not do it.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:52 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf398 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I usually find myself resting my hand on the gear lever when the car is in first, third and fifth (on a 308). it just seems to be in a natural position for resting my hand at those points. I too will try to break myself of this habit.
I haven't give this much thought.

For some reason, I don't cruise with my hand on the knob in the 308, but did with the 330 and other manual trans cars I've owned, have been told it's not a good habit.

I guess the particular seat adjustment & angle I need make it uncomfortable.

Lesson learned: Keep your hand off your knob while driving.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:59 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf398 View Post
Does resting one's hand on the gear shift while driving damage anything or cause any undue wear to anything? I had heard that it is not recommended in the Mondial w/Valeo and was curious about other Ferraris.
Guessing good advice with any tiptronic or Valeo style.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:34 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Daniel
Aside from mechnical damage, it's also not very good to drive with just 1 hand. If you watch the pros drive on youtube, you'll see that they only rest their hands on the shift lever to pre-empt their shifts and quickly place that hand back on the steering wheel immediately after the shift.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 10-16-2009, 01:44 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: James K. Woods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Chairman View Post
Driving a Testarossa w/ no power steering I find that I always have two hands on the wheel.. Just keep your hands on the wheel and you'll be fine..

R
+++. Same here. If you need to dodge a squirrel or a 2x4 off the back of a truck, you WILL need two hands. On the other hand, I think it would take a lot of pressure on that gated shifter to make anything happen in the gearbox - just resting your hand there for a moment prior to a shift is probably IMHO not that big a deal.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Steve W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaRik View Post
Guessing good advice with any tiptronic or Valeo style.
Isn't tiptronic an electrically controlled system, not mechanical? If so, then resting your hand on the shifter should make no difference at all, as long as you don't press hard enough to trigger a gear shift. Same with paddle shifters... resting fingers on them does nothing until you press hard enough to cause a shift.

But I do agree with not resting your hand on the mechanical manual transmission shifter or foot on the clutch pedal. "Riding the clutch" can burn it out really fast. And, while we are at it, when you are stopped, don't hold down the clutch pedal. Put it in neutral and let off on the clutch, otherwise you'll cause premature wear on the throwout bearing (or so several mechanics have told me).
Old 10-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Funny this just came up - just last week I asked my F-wrench Carlo (servicing
Ferraris for 40 years) and he also says "don't do it" just to help avoid forward
pressure and causing fork wear. I'm finding it a hard habit to break, but as another
poster said, nothing wrong with keeping both hands on the wheel.

Jedi
thanks for this.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: David
DON'T DO IT.