Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Technical Q&A - Sponsored by Algar Ferrari

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Robert Garven
My Garage
Metric Fasteners Gold Zinc Cad Plated

Guys,

I just want to let all of you know of my source for metric fasteners. They have been having some rough times but still in business so I thought I would give them a plug. Lori and Linda are the ones to talk to tell them I sent you. BTW Once I was buying some nylock hex nuts from them and said that a ferrari dealer was on the other line...... :-)

This is a little selfish of me also as some of the nuts I need like Gold 10x1 & 10x125 etc they are out of and they need more demand to order them. They also only sell in quantity and used to sell only to businesses but will sell to the public but you have to buy assortments or packs of 50-100. For anyone that works on their car they quality and service has been very important. I have not yet found any other source for the gold cad zinc chromate fasteners if anyone has another source I would like to hear about it?

If not help them out and lets keep those correct gold fasteners available!!! They dont have a website but here is there contact info

650-592-2722

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nuts1.jpg (86.4 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg nuts2.jpg (79.2 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg nuts3.jpg (58.7 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg nuts4.jpg (108.0 KB, 412 views)
Robert Garven Ventura, CA 1975 Dino 308 GT4 Red/Black #10766
"The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few". Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by robertgarven; 05-27-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

are you talking about global metric , if so I have been using them for years getting good hardware from them . I love going in there and finding the right bolt or nut for the job
Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Yes! I posted a bag with their info but the number changed and like an idiot I did not add the name! here is the bag with the old numbers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0900.jpg (48.0 KB, 391 views)
"The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few". Enzo Ferrari
Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Yes! Global is great. I've been buying from Lori and Linda for years too. They have many other great metric bits. Like the Bosch fuel injection plumbing bits, fuel lines, fantastic assortments of electrical connectors for fuel injection hardware and much more. They also have the hard to find tiny metric cotter pins. very handy.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:54 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Brian
I have not yet found any other source for the gold cad zinc chromate fasteners if anyone has another source I would like to hear about it?

Winzer
Wurth
Metric and Multistandard

to name a few off the top of my head.....
Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Bruce
Interesting that they don't have a website.....that I could find.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Steve Magnusson
Global Metrics can also supply the (soft) solid Copper (W60) and solid Aluminum (W63) sealing washers -- the prices are out of date, but here's a sheet showing the typical W60 (DIN 7603A) sizes:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cu Sealing Washers DIN 7603A.jpg (82.0 KB, 350 views)
Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mike
Just called them but no answer. I did not leave a message though, I will try them again later.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMaster View Post
Just called them but no answer. I did not leave a message though, I will try them again later.
They close kind of early. Especially on Friday.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:20 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Scott
My Garage
I love Global. I can't say enough good about them - quality parts, prices and customer service. They also carry the valve shims for the pre-348 cars.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:35 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Kurt
nice to know - for the recent engine-out major and suspension refresh I got all my metric fastners from McMasterCarr. Usually arrived the next day for <$5 s&h, but I'm sure the zinc finish is not 100% correct.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:36 AM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

Full Name: Mitchell Le
I live 1 mile from Metric Fastener and I buy stuff from them all the times. Their hours are 7AM to 3PM. The 3PM is reliable, the 7AM is not so much. Closed on the weekends. If you buy in small quantities, showing up (like me) is best then one of the ladies will give you personal attention in finding the right fastener for you. The other one, well, she is not as friendly. They can even get the cloth hoses, but you have to buy bulk.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:10 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Yelcab,

Do they have a number or website Global has a few items they cant get. Im looking for gold cad exclusively?

Rob

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelcab View Post
I live 1 mile from Metric Fastener and I buy stuff from them all the times. Their hours are 7AM to 3PM. The 3PM is reliable, the 7AM is not so much. Closed on the weekends. If you buy in small quantities, showing up (like me) is best then one of the ladies will give you personal attention in finding the right fastener for you. The other one, well, she is not as friendly. They can even get the cloth hoses, but you have to buy bulk.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dinos View Post
They close kind of early. Especially on Friday.
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Cliff
I've been looking for a source for high strength metric bolts with plating...and so far haven't been successful. Specifically, I'm looking for metric 10.9 or 12.9 bolts (and equivalent nuts) with some kind of plating - color doesn't matter to me, just that the bolt has a protective/plated finish so it's reasonably resistent to corrosion. This is for various suspension components or elsewhere where high strength fastners are necessary. Many places sell 10.9/12.9, but not plated. Any leads are appreciated.

For other areas where high strength is not necessary I use SS with a bit of anti-sieze to prevent galling.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Brian Brown
The plating process causes embrittlement in the bolts. That is why you don't see plated bolts higher than 8.8 strength. The 10.9 and 12.9's are all going to be finished in black oxide.

Brian Brown
Patrick Ottis Co.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 PM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Brian Crall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motob View Post
The plating process causes embrittlement in the bolts. That is why you don't see plated bolts higher than 8.8 strength. The 10.9 and 12.9's are all going to be finished in black oxide.

Brian Brown
Patrick Ottis Co.
Cad plating is done all the time in the aerospace industry in a process that avoids embrittlement. It is offered by many platers that do Milspec, aerospace or even FAA approved work. Many fasteners on cars including Ferrari are either 10.9 or 12.9 and are cad plated. It is done.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Cliff
Thanks. I agree, I'm very aware that the plating process affects it and therefore most 10.9 and 12.9 bolts are bare/oiled or black oxide. However, as Brian indicates, it is done, and done properly somewhere - there are indeed lots of cad plated 10.9/12.9 fastners on airplanes that I've seen, and also on some race cars I've seen. My own gt40 has some of these. My problem is that I can't seem to find a supplier however.

You'd think that out here in Seattle with Boeing just up the street it wouldn't be a problem finding this stuff locally. But, so far, no dice.

Anyway, don't mean to hijack the thread here, just would love to find a supplier of 10.9/12.9 fastners with some plating (so they don't rust a week after going on the car!).

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: John Z. Goriup
I have always had good luck finding pretty much any and all metric fasteners here:

Bowlin Equipment Co.
1107 10th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710-1299
(510) 527-8282

They specialize in fasteners, know what they're talking about and as an added bonus, they're mere blocks from Patrick Ottis, where you can always see rare Ferraris being massaged.

Good Luck