Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Technical Q&A - Sponsored by Algar Ferrari

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Pete Thornton
How to remove the alternator from 308GT4?

Hi
I'm new to Ferrari ownership, and new to this site.. I hope someone can help with a quick query!
My (otherwise lovely) 308GT4's alternator has celebrated my new ownership by having a fit and I'm hoping it can be extracted and re-built.. I've had a cautious exploratory poke about underneath and the restricted access is about as expected, but I'm hopeful that it can be got at without taking the entire car apart (?)
Anyone know an auto-electricians (I am based in the UK) that could re-build the unit and save me the 200-odd cost of a replacement?

I'd also like to have the electric window motors overhauled at some point too...

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Brian Harper
Through the right side wheel well it is fairly easy. From memory it goes like thid: Disconnect the battery. Remove the wheel well liner. Remove the bolts holding the alternator in. Rotate it 90*, remove the heat shield, remove the wiring. Remove the alternator. Go to local auto pars store. Ask for 1980 Fiat Spider alternator. Confirm that they are exactly the same and pay $40 for it. Swap pulleys. Reinstall.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Harper View Post
Through the right side wheel well it is fairly easy. From memory it goes like thid: Disconnect the battery. Remove the wheel well liner. Remove the bolts holding the alternator in. Rotate it 90*, remove the heat shield, remove the wiring. Remove the alternator. Go to local auto pars store. Ask for 1980 Fiat Spider alternator. Confirm that they are exactly the same and pay $40 for it. Swap pulleys. Reinstall.
I found I had to drain the cooling system a bit and disconnect the pipe leading up to the thermostat housing and move it slightly over to one side, so the alternator had more room to come out.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:06 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jimmie
Welcome

Its always worth a look in the 308 section as most questions have been asked before

Also you can download a workshop manual form www.ferraridatabase.com